Friday session 7 March 2003

No running day 6.

Decided not to take a rest last night and instead took a relatively long row (20 minutes) but at low intensity. Also had a play on my new toy, a turbo trainer, which was excellent but I need some extra towels and a bigger fan.

In addition - and especially for Laura - I had another go on the gym (or stability) ball which, apart from making me feel a bit like a second from The Prisoner is really quite tough. Check out the September 2002 issue of RW which has an article on the exercises. Particularly tough is the 'hand-off' although I'm not sure using the words 'ball' and 'hand-off' in the same sentence is strictly legal.

Today: 40 minutes turbo trainer
Why: Its my new toy and got to get the miles in.
Last rest: Last Thursday

Comments

• Morning all

What:5 mile steady
    Why:off out tonight but better do something before I go!!

Martin - I use my Turbo trainer in the garage with the door wide open - passers-by think I'm mad but it means I don't need any fans. Is that a possibility for you??

Best tip for turbo training - get some music!!!!
  • Gary - I have a "gym" at home with a sound system and a door to outside, unfortunately I have an unhealthy taste in loud music so keeping it open might cause a problem with the neighbours! I have had the radiator on though which probably hasn't helped.
  • Hello all.

Today is a rest day for me - I had a blissful lie-in.

Last Hard: Yesterday
  • Morning!! What is a turbo trainer??? Sounds Interesting!!

A realitivly easy day for me I think, Still suffering a little for last weeks 20 mile race.

What: 5 Miles Steady
    Why: Don't think I can do anymore than that, but we will see how this goes could always add something at the end if I feel up to it.

Last rest: Monday I think
    Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Long: Sunday

Anyone Racing this weekend?? I have this weekend off racing, back to racing next weekend with the Hastings Half.

Good Luck to everyone that is racing!!
  • Longlegs - a turbo trainer is a device (basically weighted rollers) which you strap your bicycle to so that you can train indoors. Think of it as a hampster wheel only a lot more sweaty!
  • Morning All,

What: nowt
    Why: Day 1 of mini-taper prior to Sunday.
    Last hard run: Thursday
    Last rest day: Wednesday

Although I did a very light session yesterday I was still knackered once the evening rolled around, another indication of being a little over-tired methinks.

Achilles, Benz et al.,
    which race you guys headed for on Sunday??
  • Sorry, meant to say "guys and gals", no harm intended.
  • Morning everyone,

What: rest
    Why: getting ready for Reading half marathon on Sunday
    Last hard run: Wednesday
    Last rest day: Last Friday
  • Hi Peeps,

Good morning
    what:5x1K on the track
    why: schedule
    last hard: Tuesday
    last rest: Wednesday

Martin, do not forget to have some drink near the turbo as you can get dehidrated very easily.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi all:

What: Pool exercises and short swim.
    Why: best for back. And Friday is a swim day anyway.

I seem to have got away without repercussions from the back incident. The combination of ice, anti-inflammatories, and exercises to prevent spasms has worked a treat, and it seems to be business as normal. Yippee!

I wanted to race at the weekend, but my local race was full. Looking about to see if there is anywhere else racing within reach (not trivial, as no car), that is not sold out, that is a possibility. It might technically be possible to get to Peterborough, but a half is not exactly what I had planned on, though I could regard it as just a long slow run. Don't know whether it has space.

It'd be nice to take part in one more just in case Thursday brings bad news.
  • Glad your back's OK Stickless, and hope you find a race.

Take care MM, don't think you're alone in feeling a bit tired at the moment. Good luck with your race, I've no doubt you'll be back on form by then.

Martin, will restrain myself from making any 'Carry on' type jokes about your gym ball.

Sorry to hear you're fed up Achilles, have you found yourself getting to this point before other marathons? Hope you take some rest and have a good relaxing weekend.

I had toyed with the idea of doing a 14 mile race tomorrow but decided I'm really not in the right frame for racing at the moment; anyway I'll have two on the trot the following 2 weekends.

About to post query about marathon paced runs separately, so won't go on about it anymore here.

What: rest.
    Why: At least 1 rest day a week needed, and want to be fresh for Sunday's paced run. I'm running slower, at higher hr and taking longer to recover from my sessions. Awake for hours last night, then promptly overslept leading to chaos first thing! Ho hum.
    Last hard: yesterday.
    Last reset: Sun

Have a good weekend everyone, and best of luck with your races.

• Meant to say, yesterday I tried counting the number of strides per minute, according to Achilles you should run at between 180-200 per minute.

Wasn't sure I knew how to count to 180 but assuming I did it right, it worked out exactly at 180, spooky.
  • Is Reading within reach, Marj? Apparently there are still plaes available for Sunday.

What: Three-mile tempo run this evening if it's not raining. Realistically, I'm more likely to try to run it at 5K pace than as a proper tempo run, but since I only do one speed until I crash and crawl, that's how it will have to be.
    Why: Last run before Reading.
    Last rest day: Friday last.
    Last hard day: Wednesday.
  • Hello all.

What- 15xs200 metre hills in the sculpture park
    Why them lot at RW say so
    Last hard- yesterday- well not hard exactly- I ended up running again at the club in the evening making 18 miles for the day.
    Last easyTuesday
  • Struggling this week and glad it's Friday so...

What: 10 mins easy, 25 mins tempo (hope to manage 7 min-mile pace but hardly likely today), 10 mins easy
    Why: Friday
    Last hard: Hilly run on Wednesday - felt easy on the lungs but hard on the legs
    Last rest: Sunday

Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Hi folks

what: maybe an hours fartlek on the tready or an outdoor run - weather dependent
    why: return to endurance fitness running required after 1 rest day & 1 x-train.
    last hard day : Tues
    last rest : thurs
  • SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Vrap, alas not. Sadly, it looks like no-go. However, I do not run to race, and there's no shortage of directions to run in from home, some familiar, some less so. So I'll again be on my own.

Which is, after all, my experience in races anyway!
  • Hi everyone

Rest day today, with LSD planned for tomorrow morning. Not sure how this will go as we have a work social this evening and travelling to Colchester tomorrow (from Hampshire) so the plan at the moment is to get up very early...we'll just have to see how it goes I think.
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: Tues
  • afternoon all

enjoy the rest Laura, MM

what: 9.3K & see how it goes. Will take watch/HRM - but audible warnings will be suppressed & I won't check my time until I've finished.

why: completed the stipulated 2 days off & now it's time to find out how much fitness I've lost.

last hard day: Tue (not intended)
    last long day: see above
    last rest day: Thu
  • Today I am mostly suffering from.....

(a) a bad back (old cricket injury, no obvious cause for recurrence, but it got worse as a result of my run last night).
    (b) mild patella soreness (both knees).
    (c) slight ITB tenderness (mainly right knee).
    (d) something strange happening where one would expect a Baker's cyst, except it's pretty tender (right knee).

I shall be resting today.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hi boys and girls,

What : either 3-4 easy or rest
    Why : Friday !
    Last Hard : yesterdays 10k tempo
    Last Rest : Monday

Have a good weekend
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    I'll be having a swim tonight. 7 miles last night has left me stiff as the proverbial stiff thing this morning. Very tight pirifomis has been pulling on my hamstring and my lower back. Waiting for the physio to phone me back to see if I can get an evening appointment, as she only works at the health club in the mornings during the week. Looks like next week's half will be a non-starter.

Bah!

Good luck if you are racing this weekend.

<sulk, in a supportive sort of way>
  • 3TL3TL ✭✭✭
    Awright everyone

Today: rest
    Been to see a physio and have only 'over' used my knees a bit, so with more rest am still on for Reading half - but more importantly have sensible training programme to get me through FLM.

Am happy, relieved, and can't wait to run again.
  • Just got back from what has got to be the hardest session yet, didnt want to do it, rain and cold wind and my legs tired- but kept ticking each rep off and got through the whole thing- so if anybody is putting off the inevitable- get out there, it's never as bad as the first few steps!!!
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Take it easy all you suffering with tiredness!

Good luck all those racing this weekend! Don't forget the reports.

Well done Monique, it does your spirit good to battle against a tough session in horrid weather.

What:swimming
    Why:swimming club
    Last hard:Wednesday
    Last rest:Tuesday
  • What: Interval Training (Sprinting between pubs)
    Why: Its raining

;o)
  • hi all.

what : rest
    why : Dent brewary 14.3m race tomorrow
    last hard : 7 m yesteday
    last rest : Tuesday

will treat tomorrow's race as a training run for FLM. I'm a bit behind on training due to injury so it'll be my longest run so far.

Swerve, Nessie and others with knocks. Take it easy and here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Enjoy

Paul.
  • supposed to be doing 5 miles
    still at work, gnnh
  • MM - good luck on Sunday, a 20 miler isn't it? I'm sure you'll ace it.

I'm doing the Reading 1/2M on Sunday along with half the rest of the forum including Benz. feeling distinctly below par right now and confidently expecting a dismal disaster.

happy: <1:18
    contented: <1:20
    resigned: <1:22
    despairing: <1:25

Laura - yes, I think it's pretty typical to hit rough patches in any marathon build-up so I'm used to it by now, especially at this stage with only another month to go. I do seem to have hit rather more of them than usual this time and I'm not quite sure why except that I've put a bit more into the quality sessions. normally I'd expect to be running a lot more miles but less hard. it's really hard finding the right balance - maybe that's what keeps it so interesting. hope you're pulling/have pulled out of your own tough patch.

what: rest, glorious rest
    why: overtrained and a race on Sunday
    last hard day: yesterday
  • oh and Monique - I can't believe how hard you keep training. awesome!