New Forest Half Marathon

Comments

• Thanks for the update. My name is on the list, so no worries.image
  • Oh Carp!! I'm still on the full marathon list...what do I do??? PANIC!!!

• Oh Carp!! I'm still on the full marathon list...what do I do??? PANIC!!!

• Don't panic - That list will be updated for all the transfers in the next few days
  • Thanks GV!  Have received my e-mail to say I'm on the half now!  PHEWEE!
  • Okay fellow tortoises ...  I'm race no. 2300 if you want to go along with me.  I'll be going deliberately slowly (c. 11.5-12 min miles, might have a spurt in the last couple of miles - hollow laugh) don't want that calf muscle to go again. 
  • Must have got my entry in good and early because I'm race number 1076.

Had a slack period of training the last month (since last Half) but got back into the groove this week and its back to the hard training regime leading up to this event!

• My number is 3383. I'm hoping to be slightly faster than you RHR, but may yet join you, depending how my longer runs go.

I did this in 2005 and 2006, and was over 12 minutes slower the second time. I really hope to reverse the trend this year!

• My number is 3496!

I have no idea how fast i'm going to run.  I've only run Fleet Half Marathon before and I did that in 2 hrs 7 min without an injury and without too many hills...I should imagine I would 10-10.30 min mile it though.

• Looks like I'm all on my own then! image  I'll keep an eye open for you but will be crawling along paying too much attention to my heart rate (gotta stay low!!)  Might surprise myself - you never know with redheads, mercurial lot!!
  • Redheadedraver, you won't be on your own!  I did Reading Half this year in 2 hours 26 mins, but my previous pb for the distance was 2 hours 53.  As I haven't run since FLM, I reckon I am likely to complete in about 2 hours 50...maybe 13 min mile pace...so you'll be way ahead of me!!
  • fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Hi all ,new to this thread,

Received my number this week#3175

Had thought i would have to pull out after an injury,but am back up to 12 miles again so feeling well happyimage

Don't think it will be a PB,just glad to be able to run. 

• Fifi!  Hi there!  Glad you're back up and running.  What about Beachy Head?  Pop into the sub 4 thread!  I've done a couple of 12 milers now, too so know I can get round after dodgy hip nightmares.

Hello everyone else!

• fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Hi AH,

Sounds like you have been having a mare aswell.Looks like we are 'the just happy to get around' peepsimage

Pleased to hear you are up to 12 miles,keep it up girl!! 

• Hi Fi Fi and AH!  I'm only up to 9 miles after dodgey hip too so will also be very happy to get around image
  • fi fifi fi ✭✭✭

Hi Fat Fyes,

We sound like a right bunchimage

9 miles is good....we will all get around.

• Hi All

#1430 is my number.  Did the Burnham Beeches half last week in 1:54 which was not too bad for me.  Training up for the Venice Marathon at the end of October and New Forest will be my last race before that.

• hallo! me and a friend are gonna be attempting the new forest half this year for the first time and were just wondering what to expect, any advice about terrain n stuff would really help. also everyone is urging us to eat while we run because its so long but i always feel really sick if i try got any advice?
    thanks
    Annaxx
  • New Forest ex-crocks unite!  We will all get round triumphant!! Managed nearly 10 miles this w/e for the first time in ages, feeling really happy.  Must be the new orthotics (or maybe it's the iPod shuffle in coordinating green - how sad is that??)

AW - I've not done this one before either, but the course profile is on the race website, and there are lots of posts re the course on this and the full marathon thread.  Hills seem to be the main theme so I hope you've done some practice!  Re food, you could try carrying liquid fuel (isotonic sports drink or similar) might go down and stay down and will keep you hydrated if it's at all warm.  Running 13 miles makes you hot whatever the weather!  Or jelly babies if you want something solid.  

• Anna, there are quite a few climbs. I've done it for the last 2 years, and both times it was very warm. I made sure I had breakfast, then didn't eat anything on the way round. If you do plan to eat, experiment with whatever it is on one of your runs - no help if it makes you feel sick!

I sometimes have a few sweets for longer runs - they act as a bit of a reward to spur me on too - I allow myself one when I get to the next mile marker.

Race pack arrived this morning!

• Got mine too!

I definately run better without eating for a good few hours before a race....I'll have an early breakfast of seedy porriage and then drink SIS Go on route...  DEFINATELY experiment beforehand though as i tried the lucozade sports and got serious runners tummy with that in the past.  Always make sure you're running through dense foliage or with plenty of bathroom opportunities whilst experimenting though!

Good luck with thatimage

• My vote is for porridge too.  With honey and sliced banana?  Or if you can soak it over night try chopped dried apple + a spoonful of marmalade. Yummm!!!!!!!
  • Have just done a 12 miler and tested one of those SIS Gels at mile 8!!!!  Which I have to say was the most vile thing i've ever (almost ever) swallowed in my life!!!  Twas like wallpaper paste!  Gag reflex in full working order!!!

Yuck yuck yuckimage

• Desperately looking for a lift from London! I can't get there in time for the new starts!

Anyone please email me at evelyneturmes@hotmail.com

thanks

• FF - I did set a PB at Reading HM on several jelly babies and a carton of Lucozade Sport (kindly provided) so maybe you should get down to Woolworths.  Despite what Runners World et al says, I have yet to meet a runner who actively likes gels of any sort.  JBs are more fun too!  There is a brand of gels out there called Honey Stingers (or similar) which are basically honey with additives, so maybe they would be nicer.  Just not long to go to test them in.
  • Thanks RH!  I have also been suggested Joosters and Skittles so think I'll stock up and try some out....although I'm not doing many more long runs now.  Definately not taking the gels though!
  • Who needs an excuse to eat Skittles?? 

Off for my long run (all of 6 miles this w/e - it's a cutback week, phew)  No chewy things needed. 

• Hi Everyone,

Jelly babies for me everytime, I`m local so ran part of the course last weekend just to do some hill work. This one will be my first half marathon so getting nervous now.

• So what's the real final lowdown on the hills?  Are crampons required?  Speaking as a recovering crock, I'll probably be walking up most of them/running so slowly it would be faster to walk image

Good luck on your first HM Simon - hope it's good for you.  The slippery slope to the full Monty ...

• Thanks for that RH.

There are a couple of long slow climbs but not that severe, if i can still run them they can`t be that bad.