New Forest Half Marathon

1235»

Comments

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Ooh - so i was actually 2mins quicker! Quite impressed with that!

• whoops should have read the messages further back!
  • Well done everyone!

I have to say how well the course was organised....I felt sorry for some of the motorists (one of which had an ickle baby in who was not enjoying the heat stuck in the car at about mile 6).  Plenty of sponge and water stations which was fab and I really enjoyed it.

Didn't think the hills were as bad as I had expected and managed to do it a minute quicker than my one and only other half (Fleet), which was a lot flatter.....so all in all pleased with that....and I love the medal with shiney horsies on it image

• Still remains a bit of a bogey course for me. I never seem to go as well as I train and hope for. Got round in 1.53 but had hoped to be sub 1.50.

Was going pretty well for most of the distance but never really felt comfortable and tired horribly at about 9 miles. Last 3 miles were just a case of hanging on in there. Maybe a bit too much focus on speed training recently at the expense of distance....

Wasn't too keen with the revised start line. It funnelled runners horribly and made things very crowded. I started in the 105-120 mins bracket but soon found lots of slower runners ahead. Found the first few miles very congested and had to vary my pace a lot due to trying to negotiate slower runners (I hate runners who wear headphones and are oblivious to everyone else on the course)!

My 5th year of running this event and it was as well organised as ever. Toilet queues seemed to move better this year (guess there were more portaloos than in previous years?) and traffic was pretty good. Traffic situ reached a point where it became severe and quite dangerous a couple of years ago but seems organisers have taken steps to address the situ the past 2 years.

Guess I'll be back next year to have another go... unless.............. I decide to enter the full marathon!!!

• Really fantastic race and enjoyed it greatly despite being  three mins slower than a couple of years ago. It seems very churlish to have a moan at what is generally an an excellently organised race which raises a lot of money for charity,  but I do feel a banana or mars bar etc at the finish would be a useful touch after what is a long race for many people, also the unengraved medal was exactly the same as last time and whilst it is ok as medals go there are plenty of races which offer alternatives such as free t shirts or mugs etc . I would not wish to deprive any of the charities of their monies but this is not a cheap race to enter and maybe just a bit of imagination might make all that sweat even more worthwhile.....

H&P

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I dont know if the race organisers have access or use the forum but it might be worth emailing them your suggestions so that they can know about it? Perhaps they are unaware of how many people want other drinks/goodie bags etc?

Just a thought.

• From the organisers:

Yes we do read the forum and we do take into account what the runners say, and find the ratings and forums very useful, as it is one of our ways of getting feedback to what we are doing right or wrong.

We will be taking all your points into consideration when planning next years race. 

• I think it was a superb race and thanks a lot to the organisers who took the time and trouble to organise such a big race. be sure that you can't please everyone all the time. I for one will be back with my own name next year! Perhaps I'll do the full!
  • thoroughly enjoyed it and shaved 1 .03 mins off my time from 3 yrs ago.imageimage

Great race, great competitors, great organisation. Some of the traffic was a bit irritating but it can't be helped in a touristy area I guess. Marshalls did a good job. Don't feel that sorry for the motorists who got held up as they are notified well in advance in local media and signs around the main roads of this event. Just a fact of life that we, as a country are sinking under the weight of extra people and cars (don't get me started..). Maybe a review of the course but I'll leave that to the experts.

See you next year

• Really great race, enjoyed it a lot despite hills / sun, which of course cannot be helped!  Sponges are GREAT, I wish every race had them, long live sponges!! Very well organised which was fab.

Agree a banana / similar at the end wouldn't have gone amiss but nice medal, thanks. 

• I was delighted with the free BBQ!! Just right for the long drive home!

We got there early and walked in no problem , later there were long queues .

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Not that i've seen....
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Apparantly not... or not at the moment.

• Thanks Blackers! Five of me, and in three I look ok. Spotted you on another thread (Hursley 10k, which I can't do) and realised you were probably one of the whippets who lap me on RR10s.

Must try the BBQ next year - if there's any left by the time I finish!! Luckily not too far for me to get home, as I was starving.

• I'can't find them where are they??
  • I can't find them either. the only ones seem to be from 2006?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    They were there this morning but this afternoon were reverted back to 2006.
  • Sounds fabulous - wish I was there.  I was thinking of you all as I staggered along the Lyme Regis Undercliff (walking's less bouncy on the old chest - no ribaldry please!)  Next year I will CONQUER - might even manage the full marathon I was entered for originally! image