Options

prolapsed disc

Hi, I've had a prolapsed disc which caused sciatica and has laid me off running for 5 months. The physio has just told me that I can go back to the gym and start some gentle exercise again - I've only been doing bits of swimming and daily commuter-walking during my layoff. I am totally desperate to start running (outdoors) again as soon as possible so can anyone advise me on what kind of stuff I should be doing in the gym in order to get me back on the roads asap please? My inclination is to start off by hammering it away on the treadmill, but I don't think that's going to help much!

Ta!

Comments

• Options
    have you been given lots of abs/back exercises to do for building core stability to protect your spine?

what does Physio say about going back to running?

they seem to like the cross trainer if you can manage it - no impact so wont "jar " your spine

if walking is ok maybe some very gentle short -up to 5 minutes- jogs on the treadmill might be ok

bike will be ok i imagine

rower might not be - but generally id check with your Physio as your spine /disc is personal to you and what is ok for others may not be for you

but building up the high impact (running/aerobics) very slowly and not overdoing it would be key - better to take a couple of months slowly building up rather than rush back and reinjure your disc

youve probably also lost a lot of running fitness - not just cv but leg strength and proprioception and possibly some leg muscle compromise from the sciatica

building up your legs on the low impact machines will help

maybe try some pool running - gets your legs moving again with no impact again

good luck
  • Options
    Coco-CatCoco-Cat ✭✭✭
    Hi Buney

Thanks for that. The physio has not yet given me any indication of when I can go back to running and does, indeed, seem to favour the cross-trainer. Walking is still causing me a few problems, so it does look like it will be the cross-trainer and bike for the foreseeable.

The physio has given me exercises to do, but I'm very bad at doing them. To my shame. I forget to do them and can't be bothered a lot of the time. I know that's really bad and obviously not helpful but I am hoping to start a Pilates class soon to help with core stability.