Options

FLM Tart

I'm running FLM for the xxth time but this year will have the pleasure of doing it with another like minded individual dressed as a full size Bakewell Tart. The costumes have been specifically made and are quite light for their size (Some 4'diameter and 30" depth and about 12lbs weight.) Any hints or tips on how to survive and what sort of degradation can be expected over time? How many minutes slower per mile should we go than our norm? Been sponsored for £10k, by Mr Kipling, who makes exceedingly nice cakes and costumes, for Association of Childrens' Hospices. The money's in the bank so have to complete and would appreciate any advice before and any encouragement possible on the way round!

Comments

• Options
    PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! I can't offer any advice regarding majorly cumbersome fancy dress, just words of encouragement. Just to say, thanks for giving me a little giggle on a Thursday afternoon. That's gonna be some sight!

What's the material like with wind resistance? If it's a breezy day I could imagine you both turning into giant kites on Blackheath Common!
  • Options
    I ran the London marathon once before and that time I did it in a 3 ft high & wide foam heart costume for my charity CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young). Don't know the weight but it didn't seem too heavy to me. Running was restricted a little at first, as you couldn't move your arms as you're used to, but I soon worked out an upper body waddle move that seemed to work and ran reasonably fast. Did a couple of half marathons in it too. I did find in the Brighton half with the old route up and along the clifftops that it caught the wind and running into the wind brought me to a virtual standstill.

Unfortunately on the day I found the arms stuck in one place gradually getting uncomfortable, by mile 8 it was acheing, by mile 18 it got painful and I finished the last 6 miles with my head lolling uncomfortably forwards and back. The sports injury clinic diagnosed whiplash. I suppose just make sure you keep the arms moving as best you can before such injuries happen.

As that was my only marathon until this one, I can't offer time comparisons. The only othef thing that probably slowed me down on the day was that in 2005 it was sunny all day. My sister who also ran but not in costume doesn't remember it as a hot day but, inside the costume, I soon got quite hot, even after running through the various shower tents they'd set up.
  • Options
    Hi Straycelt

Can't say I have any advice to offer but will look out for you on the day, you pair of tarts LOL
  • Options
    Straycelt

good luck on the day - I will look out for a pair of tarts.:-))

Are they edible? Could be the answer to every runners need for carbs later in the run:-)))

Seriously make sure any potential chafing points are well lubricated with Bodyglide or similar and take some along with you to refresh on the way round. A minor rub can become very painful after 26 miles.

12 lbs weight could slow you down by 30 sec/mile plus the problems of wind resistance, differnt gait and running in the crowds with a fairly large object around you.

Why not start off at say 1min/mile more than your normal marathon pace and if it feels comfortable speed up over the later stages.

Just as long as you don't overtake me!!:-))
  • Options
    I got overtaken by a bakewell tart in my first attempt at FLM. I cried!

Good luck - you're amazing to even attempt it and you deserve every penny of the £10k