Sports bras (not thongs, sorry...)

I know there was a big debate about sports bras about 6 months ago, but I can't find it, and remember it being aimed at the better-endowed (I'm not).

Any recommendations? & yes, I've looked at the websites, got the catalogues, etc - don't care about the technical stuff, just want something that's comfortable! Have tried the whole M&S range (well, where else do you buy your undies from?! and what's more, you can buy them with your dinner...) and they're all a bit odd - rub/wrinkle/weird shape...



  • a useful thread

    I hope the link works
  • Thanks, Miss Piggy - have had a look. Unfortunately I still can't find what I'm looking for. I don't want to be squashed any flatter than I am already, but the other type of bra seems to leave a horizontal ridge showing through all my tops - and gives me a very odd shape indeed. Does anyone do maximiser sports bras?! I need the support, but would rather not look like a pre-pubescent schoolgirl.
  • Yes, I am sure this can be a real problem. What about gel inserts?
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Berlei's shock absorber range are very good, and come in different styles so you can have the squished down crop top or the normal "I've got boobs" back fastening regular type. House of Fraser/Arnotts stock them in their undies section, so you can try them on to see what's comfortable first. They are very supportive and come in a good range of sizes.
  • hmmm - sounds like a good idea. I know you can send back the ones ordered online if they don't fit - but it takes so much time! I'll go and have a look there.

    As for the gel inserts - wouldn't they fall out mid-run?! Or worse still, slip a bit and create bulges in funny places... I don't care that much, I just want a sports bra that looks the same as a normal bra, and that I can wear fitted tops over rather than baggy t-shirts. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, but I'm beginning to think all sports bras are designed by men with PhDs in physics, and zero idea of how they're worn!

    Anyway, thanks for the House of Fraser tip... whhheeeee, shopping spree coming on!
  • btw, Strappy, were the gel inserts a personal recommendation? And did you get the idea from your pants threads? I'm getting worried!
  • I just like to appear in apparel discussions.
  • How immature!
  • LestradeLestrade ✭✭✭
  • It's this sort of unhelpful and unwanted intrusion that puts the girlies off talking openly about their delicate problems. This is very annoying for all us lurkers hoping to get our jollies.

    (Pssst, looks round furtively, if you are an A or AA cup snail you might try, tell'em "Dave sent me" you may get a discount.)
  • LestradeLestrade ✭✭✭
    Yes I fully agree, how can you possibly sensibly drool with the likes of Strappy around?
  • and you get all this for free boys!
  • True, EP, and he was very slow off the mark on the women's tights thread. What's up, DB? Is it anything we can help you with?
  • I'm not feeling myself Meerkat.
  • I'm very disappointed with Wends BTW, she starts a thread on Shoes and then starts talking about underwear! Not cricket, not cricket at all I tell you! At least you know here you are with HelenT (not now Cougie, not now!).
  • 'course you are David; never known you to be otherwise.
  • DavidB
    There's a delicate matter I'd like to discuss if you'd care to wander back to the other thread. Please make sure you're not followed by these ladies.
  • <<meerkat follows closely, disguising herself as a wicking undie>>
  • !!!!

    Gel inserts definately don't fall out. But they're not very breatheable, and they tend to stick rather than wick, as it were.
  • LestradeLestrade ✭✭✭
    Don't they?
  • Can men get gel inserts too, to avoid feeling all inadequate when wearing lycra? ( present company excepted, Steady and DavidB, I'm sure with the amount of time they spend hanging around the lingerie dept they don't need enhancement!)
  • Helen - brilliant idea! A revival of the codpiece! What do you think they should be called?
  • LestradeLestrade ✭✭✭
    how about the Codpiece!
  • But do you get reducer cods?

  • Maybe there should be a range:
    The spratpiece - for teeny tiny types
    The mackeralpiece - for a medium build
    The codpiece - for the fuller, ahem, figure
    The tunapiece - for big boys
  • LoL Meerkat!

    I think some Blackadder the First style ones would be just splendid!
  • btw, you have a worrying knowledge of fish sizes!
  • LestradeLestrade ✭✭✭
    Yes very worrying.

    What about Whalepiece?
Sign In or Register to comment.