Options

Reader to Reader: Stitch trouble

2»

Comments

• Options
    I wouldn't have suggested any other combination! you'll certainly have to keep in touch to let me know how the running goes! i'll look out for further stitch threads :)
  • Options
    cool - will do Phillip, and thanks for your suggestions - let me know if you find any other info!
  • Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I've not read all the posts, so someone may have said this before, but I find that if I breathe out as hard as I can, then harder still until there is NO air in my lungs, the stitch will go away.

You may need to do this a couple of times, but it never fails for me.
  • Options
    Thanks Wilkie, I'll try that when i next go for a run. Which won't be today, as I've filled myself with lard and am currently munching my way through a very nice tub of chocolates :)

I love running - I can have days of eating like this and it just doesn't matter!!
  • Options
    Try this one.... continue running but tense your stomach as if someone was about to hit you - makes sure you keep breathing though! After a few mins the stitch should go away. Not sure about the physiology behind it (my mate came up with this one) but works for me every time!
  • Options
    Hi LT, I have found that I can prevent the onset of stitch with 2 things:

1. Start the run off at a slower pace (prehaps to do with the amount of oxygen you take in?). If I am running with a faster group or at a race I get stitch, if I can control my starting pace, I don't.

2. Drink when your running...I found that dehydration can lead to stitch, but this is on longer runs so maybe not relevant to you right now.

If stitch does come on then try thinking about something else, the more you concentrate on it the worse it will feel.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Loads of great answers here.

My own experience is similar to Jane Taylor's - I stitch like mad if I run any time other than first thing in the morning. I also have loads more energy first thing, so I rarely run in the afternoons now.
  • Options
    Hi LT,

I have a method that stops me getting a stitch. As soon as I feel one coming on, I breathe deeply through my nose. It does take a little getting used to and you will find it difficult to breathe in the same rhythm, but it works every time for me!

Not sure why it works, was once told by my old rowing coach that breaths taken in through the nose oxygenate a deeper, larger area of the lung than breaths taken in through the mouth (more like panting gulps when I run!).

• Options
    Thanks CNS...unfortunately, i can't breathe properly through my nose when i run(i broke it a few years back and now have rhinitis - i can't take deep enough breaths through it). maybe i should just take a drill to it ;o)
  • Options
    Hi everyone - dunno if there's anyone still out there, but I just wanted to say thanks for all of your brilliant advice..all of which I've now had time to try. I think I was trying to do to much too soon, so I now start off at a slow pace and speed up, which is working well. I've also started doing longer runs (and hill runs) in the evenings now it's lighter and I'm finding when I don't take on a little salt beforehand, I not only get stitch, I also get horrendous cramp afterwards. So it looks like it was partly salt related and partly just me trying to push myself a bit too much. Anyway, thanks to everyone and cheers to Jane for posting my question in the first place.
  • Options
    Well you're not alone, the great Haile dropped out of FLM through a stitch on Sunday!
  • Options
    Yeah I bet a lot of people did...crazily hot weather for this time of year. It was awful watching people try to struggle through it on the news - one guy's legs were just collapsing under him from cramp. Ouch! Think running in the South Downs is going to be my limit - for now anyway! would love to do a marathon one day though...
  • Options
    I get a stitch when running, but it's not just in the abs. I can feel it on the right side, from a point just below my ribs, up behind my bust and out at the top of my right shoulder, about the end of the collar bone. Is that just a stitch, or am I just odd?

It isn't debilitating, I just concentrate on something else (ususally counting steps) and it goes away in a few minutes.
  • Options
    I've been runnign for about 6months now, interspersing my road running with treadmill running. Since being back at uni I've been on the treadmill as there is little opportunity for road running where I live. Had no problems until this week, when during my last four attempts to run my usual 6-8k (depending on how bored I get!) as soon as the clock hits around 15 mins I get a pain under my ribs on the right hand side like someone has stabbed me with a screwdriver. I has been so frustrating that I feel my self giving up trying to run through it earlier and earlier. But thanks to this thread I now have so many things to try!!!!! Feeling more motivated already!!!
  • Options
    Helenliz/Felicity - that's exactly the same as I had, in the right hand side, under the ribcage. Slowing down initially and taking a little salt before longer runs has really helped for me. But when you get it really bad, I found that digging my fist into where it hurts and wiggling it about really helps.
  • Options
    I have had the same issue for the last few months. I bought elastic from the habidashers, tied it round my waist & pulled it tight when the stitch occured. That stopped it every time. Then I bought a 'tens' machine from the local chemist (made by Solpadeine, costs £10) & it's really really helped! It works by relaxing the muscle & releasing the pain and you only need to use it twice a day for 15 minutes. Hope it helps :-)
  • Options
    I've been told that if you've got a stitch on your right side then stick your left arm up in the air; if the stitch is on the left side, then stick your right arm up in the air. It's always worked for me!
  • Options

HI, I'VE JUST GOT BACK FROM A RUN AFTER NOT HAVING ONE FOR A WHILE DUE TO GETTING STITCHES every TIME WITOUT FAIL, I'M FIT, BUT 3-4 MINS INTO RUNNING I GET A STITCH, I RUN THROUGH IT UNTIL IT GETS SO PAINFUL I HAVE TO STOP AND SOMETIMES ITS EVEN MADE ME CRY ITS SO PAINFUL, THEN HAVE TO WALK HOME, AND I HARDLY EVEN BROKE A SWEAT, I LOVE RUNNING BUT CANT HANDLE THE STITCH ANYMORE, PLEASE PLEASE HELP! ... I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING.

KATIE