Need to Rant?

Just back from my long run. I had this posting all 'written and typed up' during the run (it was going to say 'this my WORSE long run EVER') until I looked at the watch when I finished (don't look at it during). The reason I thought it might be my worse was because I didn't enjoy it one little bit. I even had a flaming stitch towards the end (something I haven't had for ages). Anyway, the whole thing felt like a hard struggle.

Anyhow, I've run the same course as last weekend. I did it last week in 2h33 and today in 2h26. I know what you're thinking: is he stupid or what? Of course he'd find it harder because he did it faster. True, but I haven't finished my point yet, have I ?!

The point is this: with all the will and optimism in the world, I did not run 26 miles this morning nor was the pace faster than my target MP. And yet I found it a struggle, and could not see for the life of me where the remaining miles would come from. So, I find all this depressing! Whatever happened to that nice feeling I used to have at the end of my runs ?!?!?!?!!?

All I can say is thank goodness I haven't given up my precious football. I am playing tomorrow and I know I will get BAGS of ENJOYMENT out of the game. Yes, enjoyment. Remember the word and what it means ?!?!?!?

So, what's your antidote for these depressing times generated by this bloody training? [hey you, if you're happy with your running you shouldn't be reading this, should you ?!?!?}

I hope you (will) feel better after your runs/races this weekend.

Over and out.

Comments

• HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    FLM-just one of those days! Enjoy your footy tomorrow and you'll be invigorated for next weeks training and just think one week closer to the marathon!
  • Never had a bad game of footy?

The extra energy for the last few miles at Londan comes from all the work you're doing now and of course, the magical taper.

I don't know if you've ever run London before if you have you'll remember that magical feeling going down the Embankment with 2 miles to go, the crowds 10 deep either side of the road, it feels like they're all calling your name .........
  • Race training gives you focus, but also forces you to do things you might not do if just listening to body or going with the general flow. Good days/bad days Peaks/troughs etc.

I wish I could run for that amount of time! Best of luck at FLM!

• Cheers hilly & Helen.

PM, 2 things:

1. re footy: yes, you do have bad games and you might get disappointed if you lose. Sometimes you might even enjoy it even when you lose, if the result is not the most important thing. Whatever happens, though, there is NO physical pain. Pain + disappointment equals, well, something no very pleasant.

2. Yes, I did run the marathon last year. I am also going to go against the grain and disagree about the crowd thing (I've been doing this a lot lately in other areas of my life too, this challenging widely held views). Even a year on, I can talk to you about the crowds up to, probably, mile 20 or so. After that, blank. The reason being when the pain started, I found myself setting up a tent on my own island - completely oblivious to my surroundings. Having said that, there is a possibility that the crowds have help in some (subconscious) way. In other words, I'd rather have them than not have them at all.

You can tell I'm still ranting, can't you ?!?!

Silver lining: it is now raining in London. I am therefore glad I did the run when it wasn't. I dread to think what I would be writing here if the weather was really bad during my run!!!
  • We all have bad days, it probably felt hard due to the training in your legs. Once you taper down and have fresh legs you'll feel 100% better. Good Luck
  • FLM - I agree with everyone else here; we all have good and bad days, so don't worry. These are your hardest training weeks and you're bound to feel lead-balloonish till after your taper. My joint rant is a constant one about injury probs - at least you can still run; I've been confined to XC-ski machines and my aquajogger for the best part of 2 weeks now!

Keep smiling;)

• Thanks Loz.

Freakette, I am sorry to hear about your injury. I hope things will get back to normal in no time. Mind you, what you are doing seems a lot more fun from where I am standing!

OK, OK I'll stop feeling sorry for myself now, promise.

• FLM.
    You just beat me to it. I was just going to suggest that you might be grateful that you can run at all.
    JJ
  • Aquajogging is loads of fun - for the other people in the pool having a good laugh at my expense!!!!

The bad times make the good days seem so much better, so don't worry about feeling sorry for yourself from time to time. At least the forum provides us with other people in the same situation so we can get advice, sympathy, and just the knowledge we're not alone.

hope you feel better tomorrow;)