How easy is it to teach yourself to run differently?

13»

Comments

• nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Tim McNulty 2 & HappyasLarry: I completely agree with terryh in his posts to you both.

HAL: I would suspect you are over-striding and forcing your foot down. From a Pose perspective all you have to think about is to lift the support leg. Don't worry or even think about where the in-flight leg will land. It will land with lightly (ie just enough activity in the lower leg muscles so that they act as gentle shock absorbers) and it will land correctly (ball-of-foot under the GCM).

David Stamp: I've done three maras and loads of HM and LSR. I personally can not heel-strike no matter how tired I get. I guess I could if I really tried! Running on your BOF landing lightly under the GCM is completely different feeling to heel-striking. There are different sensations since muscles are working with slightly different emphasis/intensity and the timing is different too. I would not mix styles.

terryh: In my porky days I had enough mass to have my very own orbital satellite.

NikeFrees: I tried these. I didn't like them at all since the heel-cushioning is too much. I had to use my calf muscles a bit more to get the feeling of bodyweight on the BOF. This extra effort would cause me problems for a short-fast race or a long-slow run.
  • OK I will think about all this when I am out next time.

Thanks.
  • Hi all,

OMG it's like someone has just turned a light on. I've been running for about a year with a good friend and i always look like a rhino running next to her and she looks like gazelle and now i understand why, and if i'm right this is prob why she can run a 10k in about 8 mins quicker than me. Although Caron has been runnning a lot longer than myself i can now see as plain as day the difference in our running ability and the reason Caron can run a hill without actually looking like she has made any effort whilst i'm feeling like i'm trying to get up a mountain.

I run with my heel firmly slammed into to ground and i run in mizuno wave inspires which i find really comfy to run in and in my minds eye i can see Caron running on her toes.

PLEASE PLEASE can you tell me more about this pose/chi running as i also keep getting injured which really gets me down. I'm a mum of 4 and my running is my solitude and natural prozac so to be injury free would be sublime. At the mo i'm recovering from medial tendon/ligament damage and would love to make recovery running my time to try out this new technique to see if it suits me.

Many thanks

Kate
  • Kate,
    Here are a few resources that might be helpful to you. They all have their supporters and detractors, as I’m sure you will soon discover!

“Explosive Running” by Michael Yessis. Pub:Contemporary Books. (Available from Amazon)

http://www.gordonpirie.com/ (Free on the internet, but you have to wade through it to get to the part about technique)

http://www.posetech.com

http://www.evolutionrunning.com
  • Hi Terry,

Your a star. Bedtime reading for me I think. :0)

Thanks again

Kate.
  • I tried a bit of forefoot/chi/pose/made it up as I go along--kinda run yesterday
    After a bit of mucking about sort of got the hang of it
    The asics tiger Paws are pretty flat so with a nice lean forward I stayed forefoot all the way although my heel did sort of brush the ground there was no propulsion or use of the heel
    There was no temptation to heelstrike at all although I dont think I kicked my heels back enough so I probably wasnt as springy as I could of been I was pleased with the results
    I did a few of the bouncing drills afterwards I must make sure that theres no one in the house next time they all took the p***.Come to think of it Im not sure Im going to keep the drills up Im just too lazy
    Anyway woke up this morning feels like my calfs have been attacked with hammers, very sore
    I over did it miles wise
    Interestingly my achilies and heel arch dont hurt at all which a first in a long time
    What sort of build up should I do?
    I need to get my milage up but 100 metres at a time will take forever
    What did everyone do to build miles?
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    I tried making it up for a while but hadn't grasped that the foot should not land in front of the body. Big mistake.

Once I'd read the book I literally did run 20m at a time over and over again, several times a week, for months. Start running, spot the first fault, stop, focus, start again. Or even concentrate on just one item. To judge from the dramatic improvement in my speed I must be doing quite a lot right, but I can't manage to keep the mental effort going for very long. And although my plantar fasciitis is definitely in retreat, my knees aren't 100% happy.

If you're using the Chi book don't neglect the loosening-up exercises.