A skinful of beer a week before a marathon...

Comments

• I missed 3 months training with a cricket injury two years ago.

I got pished out of my head at the Edgbaston Ashes test and thought I could vault the toilet turnstile at New Street Station. I couldn't, and landed on the tiled floor on my left kneecap.

Simply drinking beer in a sitting position has never affected my ability to run, even on the day of a race.
  • Its Mr AA's 40th the week before and I'll cetainly be having a few then. Mind you, I have a glass of wine or two every night snd enjoy it.
    I also tend to have a bottle of beer (just the one) the night before a race too. And I will keep that way even through marathon week. I've tried the whole not drinking thing for a week before and it makes no difference on the day whatsoever anyway!! Might as well then...
  • I shall heed warnings of beer-related mishap (I did break a tooth on contact with a pavement in a beer-and-piggy-back incident on St George's Day a few years back) but remember, as Lt Frank Drebbin said, "you take a chance every time you cross the street, or stick your face in a fan."

*Memo to self: No air guitar in marathon week.*
  • "I did break a tooth on contact with a pavement in a beer-and-piggy-back incident"

I broke my front tooth on my stag night when I fell off a table I was standing on (slipped in the beer) and went head first onto the floor - don't even remember it!!! 2 days before my wedding.....all my photos are of me not smiling fully........and 28 years later I'm having the crown replaced at the mo as it's not stained in line with the rest of my teeth with age and stands out like a lighthouse beacin now!!
  • Beer 6 days before? thats almost a week!
    Unless your 82 and starting your 1st every binge the liver should flush it all out.

Stag do? I went through a door but was aided by a mattress!
  • Martin, Only just found this thread and you sound like a bloke out of my own heart. I will be having a few on the Sunday before (FA Cup Semi's) and will also raise a glass to the old dragon slayer. I will be using these sessions as part training by calling it carbohydrate loading!!! ;O)
    ;o)
  • Buggar! Just spotted I was a bit premature with St Georges day but I'm sure you get the picture :o)
  • Their soundtrack to tghe old Robin Hood program was good wasn't it?!!! (Clannad's)
  • I don't "get" binge-drinking either, and from a po-faced health-professional point of view there's nothing good to be said about getting out of your head on booze, whatever the occasion.
  • binge drinking isn't for everyone - personally I can handle it and enjoy it
    . But Iwhen I binge drink I do it in a slow "marathon, not a sprint" style and get nicely booze soaked over a day - mixing a bottle of wine with dinner with a few pints on a night out and maybe a few shorts or starting with beer as the thirst quencher and then a bottle or two of wine for enjoyment.. always end up remembering great music I had forgotten to listen to in ages or watch great comedies and feel thoroughly chilled out!...
  • "there's nothing good to be said about getting out of your head on booze"

very personal opinion there V'rap - many of those who do/have would not agree with you........

I used to - I no longer do - as the recovery takes far too long now

"eee - had a great night last night - got absoultely ratarsed, can't remember a frigging thing though, when are we doing it again???"
  • Binge drinking is my practical alternative to regular drinking. A few mates, a lot of booze, leading to foolish antics, dance-floor comedy and spoken nonsense of a kind that you just don't get while in the puritanical thrall of sobriety! It isn't the healthiest thing to do, but let he/she who is without vice cast the first stone, and I shall ascribe them the vice of stone-throwing. I firmly believe that doing everything as recommended by health professionals will bring you a long and particularly tedious life, and most of the health professionals I know would agree with me.

For the purposes of the question, I like the carb-loading argument best! And I'm sure hops must count towards my 5 a day!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I indulged in some binge drinking a couple of weeks ago - within my FLM training schedule, shock horror! The most scary element to the whole evening was that I managed to talk myself into eating a large doner kebab whilst waiting for a night bus at 2am. Good god, I'd forgotten how evil those things are. I could feel the fat congealing round my lips. Ick!

But yes - occasional teetotalism, regular moderation plus occasional debauchery - all part of the healthy three-point drinking plan as far as I'm concerned.
  • FB, it was a professional opinion rather than a personal one. From a medical point of view (and, Martin, I think even the alcoholic health professionals, of whom there are many, would agree in theory) alcohol in anything but moderation is destructive and binge-drinking is particularly destructive.
  • Martin, good luck! Just think of it as liquid carbo-loading!

Jog on!
  • I've has sh*tloads of PBs off the back of a hangover!
  • has=had. I'm perfectly sober at the moment.
  • The concrete answer to the original question is that the effects of a hefty binge-drinking session should be well out of your system a week later and your marathon performance is only likely to suffer if you fall out of a window while you're drunk or if you're still trussed up and tied to a tree in the middle of nowhere when the race is due to start. Not being English, I don't know what rituals St George's Day celebrations involve ;o)
  • Vrap, normally collecting our giro... Oh sorry, that's St. Andrew's Day ;)
  • With hair like that I KNEW you had to be Scottish, Minky ;o)
  • Well I am happy to give you my personal experience on precisely this question. I ran my first London marathon in 2004. My training had been somewhat sporadic and interspersed with the odd binge here and there not to mention a few fags. On the wednesday before the marathon having picked up my running number from the Excel centre, I took it upon myself to down a few pints at London Bridge on my way home. This soon developed into a humongous binge with friends. I awoke the next day feeling like death and wondering how I could recover in time for the marathon. I slept and rehydrated but was feeling quite grim. The night before i smoked 30 fags. Now this is what I call utterly foolhardy. The marathon was an ordeal. I ran about 18 miles but walked the rest. It took me 5 hours 47 minutes.

Anyway I am waffling. My answer to your question is that you can get drunk a week before and probably recover in time to do ok at the marathon. Get drunk 3 days before as I did and you are playing with fire. But if you have trained hard to run your first marathon then I would strongly urge you to forego the booze until after. It may just be your inner demon of failure that is trying to sabotage what will be a huge day for you and probably the biggest challenege you have faced.

My advice is put the booze demon in his place, rest and focus for the big day and enjoy it! Good luck!
  • LauraFLauraF ✭✭✭
    It was my 15th wedding anniversary a week before my first marathon, and we were having a big party. I drank consistently through the day, but made sure I prepared by being well hydrated and eating properly before and afterwards. A quick recovery, and the marathon was much as I had hoped.

However, another year I was teetotal for 3 months before the marathon (except for 3 or 4 drinks - sometimes after a hard week I just needed one....) Much faster marathon - but can probably be attributed to not trying to train with a fuzzy head rather then any lingering effect on the day.

Conclusion - at this stage, you may as well enjoy yourself. Just make sure you plan your recovery.
  • Jonathan

wowser!!!!!!!!!!!
    souns nearly as bad as my firsty(except i didnt smoke)

did nyou do another??
  • Why not plan to do as I'm going to do for FLM: abstain now and plan a great big celebratory booze up in the evening following the marathon. Of course, I will re-hydrate and eat properly in the day, but night time, I'm going to celebrate, I deserve it!

Hopefully this won't include any air guitar....
  • I went to a concert with the magic numbers two nights before my first marathon, had a few beers, and missed the breakfast run because i overslept!! But i think i needed the extra hours. Did berlin i 3.25 in 05, so i was quite happy. I always take a couple of glasses of wine on the eve of my races.
  • To avoid any misunderstanding, its not my first ever marathon, just my first this year. And I have been quite abstentious during my training so far (weekend in Germany in Feb notithstanding). Had I got in for FLM the booze-up after plan would be fine, as St George's Day is the day after, but there is a reluctance to move St George's Day, and I would hate to miss it, since I have moved away from the old crowd and we don't get together that often.

Binge and rehydrate seems the best plan all round. I have at least 2 more marathons to go at in 2007 in the event that I b*gger this one up, so t'will be an interesting experiment.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    I've started planning my post-FLM booze-up & curry night, but also just found out that a friend of mine is having a pre-marathon party the night before, since she and some other mates know two people running (incl. me) and she lives on the route (about 0.5 miles into blue start).

Now I'm just wondering whether I dare to turn up for a special guest appearance and resist temptation to join in the inevitable boozy fun, or just sit at home watching telly and biting my nails as originally planned. Hmmm...
  • Phil, you must resist! That's just too risky, get them to come to your booze up!
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Lucy does make a mean cup of tea. You're probably right though. ;)
  • Is it true that alcohol shrinks your gonads?