A skinful of beer a week before a marathon...

Comments

• B, no, you're thinking of Alanis Morrissette. HTH.
  • Alcohol shrinks Alnis Vinegarette?

How odd, I hope she knows!
  • http://alcoholselfhelpnews.wordpress.com/tag/sexuality/

"In men the testicles shrink, sperm count drops and breasts get bigger. The production of male sex hormones, testosterone, is changed. Erection and arousal is often affected, soft or short lived. Ejaculation may be too soon, delayed or lack force.
    "
  • Thank you for that insight! I shall make a note not to become alcoholic I think. I reckon I'll get away with it for one day. To be honest my dancing is of a nature to make the whole question a non-issue on such a binge anyway!
  • :-)

I bet the gonad-shrinkage post doesn't make it into the "best of the responses" summary on the home page.
  • Probably not, but it should.
  • the alanis post might thouhg;)

• Well I dont drink , I am more of a green tea man , Looks Kind of strange standing in Weatherspoons friday night with a cup of tea , or a glass of water , but there you go you have to do what you have to . But i think Drinking in moderation is fine , binge drinking before a Marathon could be fatal , could really mess you up , just depends where your priorities
    ??
  • I remember going out and getting slaughtered when I was sixteen, crawling in at 4am, and then getting up and going to play hockey matches at half 9. And playing well too. Not quite sure how I did that. Never mind the slightly illegal nature of it all! Now, at the ripe old age of 21, I'm such a light-weight I can't even binge-drink properly; I'd be passed out in the corner by ten o clock.

6 days is fine - just ensure hydration and LOTS of sleep in the days preceeding and following the binge (and the marathon). Good luck with the race!
  • Amsterdam Marathon 2005 - I went to the forumite post race meet up Irish pub (Arun near Leidsplien anybody remember being there?) only it wasn't post race it was pre race, the night before the marathon to be exact. Ended up drinking pint for pint with another entrant only he had decided not to run due to a bad back .... I woke in the morning didn't know what planet I was on let alone which country or what I was meant to be doing that day. Anyway redbull and coffee had only moderate effect and I finished 3:52 (29 mins slower than PB but only 22mins slower than normal) I wouldn't reccommend it a it as it was gruelling running with your tongue stuck to your cheek and wanting a water station every 100m instead of 5kms. I would think you could recover form a mid week blow out but if its important to you leave it till after marathon day.
  • Oh for fecks sake, get p*ssed and deal with it,you'll live, just don't get anal about it.
  • ok, i ran my first mara with a hangover
    i admit it
    but my parents and the inlaws had descended and i had to entertain them

have run slower mara times since then too
  • lol, medically speaking, binge drinkers are just as, if not more, tedious than serious health freaks.

they are also much more likely to
    a) throw up over you
    b) try and punch you and
    c) insist on repeatedly telling you how much they love you in between a) and/or b).

binge drinking whenever is potentially damaging; a week away from a marathon is unlikely to hurt you more or less than at any other time.

as you say, it's an informed choice, and from your posts, it sounds like you'd already made a decision and that any health advice to the contrary was boring and tedious. if you really think it's informed choice, you're an adult - it's up to you, just go for it! you don't need medics to provide you with a boring institution to rebel against!
  • Having just read the whole of this thread I like Martin's idea on the previous page where he suggested we use this as an experiment to ascertain the answer. Anyone running in the same race prepared to be tee-total as a control?

Don't worry, I am only kidding.

I possibly have a similar problem. I'm still a novice, and have just entered for my first 5k, but I'm a bit ahead in my training and thinking of entering a 10k a little later in the year - Problem is I've decided the best race to enter would be the Blackpool 10k on 2nd September - I get married this year and my stag do is a 3 day cricket tour from 28th-30th August. Is it a bad idea to enter, or for a shorter distance do you reckon I could get away with a shorter booze recovery time?
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Ran Rome Marathon on 18th March this year. Was aiming for 2.55 off the back off a 59min 10mile 6 weeks before.

Went to a funeral 9 days before and got lashed up.

Ran the race going through 20m in 2.16 but having to walk from 39k at various points. Did the last 6.2m in 1hour finishing in 3.16 off an average of 65m per week for 18 weeks. (PB- 3.09 off 42mpw for 12 weeks)

My HR was elevated the week of the marathon and when I downloaded the data I ran at 93%mhr for first 20m. 20 beats above normal. I wasted 18 weeks training due to drink on 1 day.

Them there's the facts....

Have FLM in 3 weeks that I'm hoping to have another go but I may have missed my chance as my body is still recovering and not very well.
  • Odeon

that is seriously very interesting

May i ask how much you normally drink
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    I'd cut down and didn't really drink. I had the occasional binge out but nothing more than that. At the funeral (47yr old mate who'd had a heart attack), had 9 pints.

However, did the same thing new year's eve and did 17m the next day no probs!
  • okay
    so for a regular drinker, "good night out" might not do the same to them

also
    your mara training is a bit different to mine anyway
  • my hr is generally 10-15 beats higher after a nite out ....
  • I find the HR is higher as well, probably for a good 12 hours after. What's that all about, body working hard to get rid of the toxins I suppose.

I wonder if more calories are burnt off during that phase? Hhhmmmm....
  • no they arent

or i would be dead skinny!
  • In the course of my work, I once measured my blood oxygen saturation after a night out. That was informative! It was fine by the next day though.

Odeon, I find it hard to believe you're still not recovered from 9 pints several weeks ago, and you might want to seek another explanation. I had 4 days on the pop in Germany in Feb, and it affected my first couple of runs after I got back, but after that I was right back up at the levels I'd been before I went away.

I resent the link between binge drinking and throwing up on people and/or punching them as well. I've never been close to doing either. Its a societal get-out, these are in fact activities pursued by people who are w*****s and alcohol is just an excuse.

You'd have to admit, my question has generated some interesting debate though!
  • Martin

so how low did your O2 sats go?
  • i regularly drink to excess on the friday before a race on the sunday.

saturday is usually a write off til 6pm then im ok.

to compensate i make sure i go for my run , usually 10 mile easy friday afternoon so im not missing an important training session.

this is the real world and lets face it - us runners usually have to forfeit MOST saturdays nights out as we have races every sunday - well i do anyway.

my wife goes mad every time post arrives looking like an SAE with an obvious number in it.

Pub crawl - good chance to catch up with mates - chew the fat and try an recruit fellow runners to the cause.

as said earlier - taper week anyway.

just make sure you have trained as per plan upto the race and you'll be fine.

if you can remmber the night out all the better - make help pass on a cuple of miles during the race....

Good luck for the FLM - i got rejected in the ballot - doing Edinburgh marathon instead and trying my luck with the NY marathon ballot - $10 fee for a go...
  • Simon you need to start entering on line
    then you wont get saes!!!!!!!!!
  • Odeon1085Odeon1085 ✭✭✭
    Martin,

I've recovered from the beer. I'm struggling to recover from the marathon. Last time round I managed a competitive hm seven days after the marathon. I'm struggling to get back into at mo. Lethargic etc...
  • lol. martin, i think you'd better take that point up with the national statistics office.