impingement syndrome in ankle

Have been struggling with pain on outside of ankle on and off for about a year - much worse since I wrenched it running off road in August. Orthopaedic consultant diagnosed it (without any scan) as achilles tendinosis. After much phsio and exercises, shock wave therapy, acupuncture, you name it,no improvement.

Have now seen another orthopod who says that in his opinion it is not achilles probably an 'impingement syndrome' due to as he puts it 'very very bad biomechanics'. In other words, the ankle joint is not working properly and is pinching soft tissue somewhere.

Got the feeling that he was not much interested. Didn't suggest seeing me again even though he had ordered ultrasound scan 'to rule out achilles'.

Otherwise suggested no treatment besides stretching and suggesting I modify my existing orthotics with bits of felt and tape to see if I can relieve the pain. Said next step might be new orthotics...

Have just had the ultrasound scan which did show evidence of old achilles scarring, torn ligaments from ankle sprains. But, according to the doc who did it, these are all old injuries and nothing that would explain the current pain. Some fluid on the joint but source unclear. Says MRI would be needed to reveal deeper structures and 'you can go back and push the consultant for one if you like'?!

On the basis of this, have now made another consultant's appointment to discuss next step but would appreciate info from anyone who's had a diagnosis of impingementin the ankle.

Did you get a firm diagnosis? And what treatment dis anyone have that worked? Bit of internet research suggests that steroid injection might be relevant for some. Also looks as if perhaps I should have had an X-ray to rule out bone chips?

Any advice and experiences gratefully received!

Comments