Options

Monday session

Time at a premium this week as lots on so may need to juggle my training to suit. Have identified a 30k race next weekend that would be perfect marathon build up - a definite possibility.

What: Unsure (would like to do c.7 miles easy)
Why:
1. Not sure what Mrs H will let me get away with on our wedding anniversary.
2. Legs still a bit stiff after yesterdays race (see report).
Days since rest: Three
Days since hard run: Yesterday.

Comments

• Options
    What: An hour and a half in the gym with new trainer (Steve the Beast) who is a runner, replacing the Princess of Pain who has gone off on maternity leave. The Beast knows his stuff and promises I will be ready for New York.

Why: Still dealing with broken toe - Osteopath this morning and podiatrist Friday hoping to be back running by Saturday.
  • Options
    Happy wedding anniversary, Mr & Mrs H. Martin, Mrs H may be more tolerant than I am, but I would commit GBH if my other half announced that he was going out to do something tiring and time-consuming on our anniversary.

What: 3-mile walk with the occasional stretch of gentle jogging. Not much, but at least it's done. May have a swim later if work is particularly demanding.
    Why: Insomnia. Back at work today. Nigglingly bothered about the fact that the better of my two partners is on hols and I'm stuck with La-Zee-Boy for the next two weeks.
    Last hard day: Yesterday.
    Last rest day: Friday.
  • Options
    What: rest day
    Why : swam yesterday and back a little sore
    Next hard day: Tomorrow - going for a 5 miler. See if I can do it.
  • Options
    What: gentle swim at lunchtime followed by jacuzzi and steam room.
    Why: tired after running 10 miles yesterday.
    Last rest day: saturday
    Last hard day: yesterday
  • Options
    what: feeling glum
    why: 3 day alcoholic bingefest with the NHS Irish contingent - Old dog is once again old "smoking" dog.
    why: Got Engaged last month had massive party this Saturday to celebrate - Spent weekend in pubs - the rest is a blur. Just know I'm on 20-40 a day without blinking.
    Next session: Ah whenever...

I started road running when I quit smoking two years ago - mainly because i had too much energy and the treadmill just wasn't enough. I've lapsed on two occasions for about a month each time - continued to run at about a minute a mile slower, but i'm sort of running out of options to try - tried patches, willpower, gum, allen carr (all the books etc etc) - i'm considering hypnotherapy at the moment - anybody else had problems with the demon weed?
  • Options
    Morning all,

Feel tired but ecstatic this morning. Got fed up of training for the marathon last week so decided on Friday I would just go and run the Wolverhampton marathon yesterday! I had been a bit lazy, particualy with the long runs so couldn't face a 2 week taper for Nottingham. Anyway, I managed a 3:07 yesterday in hot conditions, which gets me into London (which was the plan). Race tactics were simple, do the first ten miles steady, then attack the next 10 to get to 20 miles in around 2:15-2:20 (got there in 2:18), that way I knew I could crawl home under the time if needs be. I hadn't run over 14 miles since the end of June so was expecting to die badly at the end (though I had a couple of 50-60 mile weeks), suprisingly I felt the best I ever had, and finished fairly comfortably. Might try doing some long runs before London though! Guess all that cross training paid off as I feel pretty good today :o)

Today:

What: Rest
    Why: Feel good but not that good
    Days since last hard run: yesterday
    Days since last rest: today

Gareth
  • Options
    Keep trying, Old Dog - daft as it sounds, the more often you try to quit the more chance you have of eventually getting off the killer weed for good. There's a lovely paper in the current issue of Thorax which shows that basic counselling-type support is as effective as nicotine replacement in getting people to stay off fags for 12 months. Have you had a pop at Zyban yet?

My suggestion? Sign up for a race (half-marathon or longer) 3-4 months hence and get addicted to training for a PB instead. You're a runner - you can do anything.
  • Options
    Yet another blue-skied day :o)

What : Nothing
    Why : Recovering from yesterdays Triathlon – which turned out to be a very hilly / difficult course on a d@mn hot day – but still great fun:

Last Hard Day : Yesterday – Teasdale Triathlon – 500m/28k/7.7k - Scenic and undulating – see above comment – it took me 2hrs so I was quite pleased about that :o)

Will
  • Options
    Gareth, serious respect! The ability to decide to go and run a marathon on impulse is beyond my highest aspirations. Brilliant time, too. Well done!
  • Options
    Thanks Raptor, I'm signed up for Windsor at the end of the month (my first half) so I've got to keep the training up - Zyban - sounds familiar, but i haven't tried it -will do some research, more in favour of not drug methods(had bad side effects with NRT stuff like patches - no sleep, grumpy short temper, possesive, needed a chew toy etc), but I'm definately not a happy smoker so will try anything once to see if it works.
  • Options
    What: Intervals
    Why: will miss club night Tuesday
    Days since rest : 2
    Days since hard: 5

Weekend training reflection

Sat:
    What: 5 hours arm circles with 2kg weight, including 2hrs while balancing 3m above the ground
    Why: upper body stability (actually the hedges needed trimming)

Sun:
    AM session: 2hrs similar to sat
    PM session: 5 mile standard 2 lap circuit
    Why: needed to shake out the legs since joints stiff from last weds 11.5 miler

Booster: in spite of feeling stiff I completed this circuit 15 secs faster than ever before and at a lower avg HR. therefore I feel I’m getting fitter and faster.

Question: How to I get over the impacts of long runs – muscles recover OK after 1-2 days but the joints feel very tetchy – do they adapt after use or do I need a dose of castrol GTX?
  • Options
    Ironman, that's great, it's the kind of impulsive decision I'd love to be able to pull off, and a reminder we can all get too stuck into 'rules' in our training. Well done, have a good rest and congrats on automatic London place too.

Old Dog, there's a recent thread on smoking somewhere and someone had had great success with hypnosis, might be worth looking up. You obviously can give up as you've done it before, stop binging today and start again! Congrats on your engagement and party, sounds wild.

What: an hour of something, not sure what.
    Why: had such a nice run yesterday (thanks for kind comments folks) and last week taught me it's better to accept rest as a good thing than try to fight it. Sometimes the things you're looking for don't happen until you stop trying so hard. Feel free to remind me of my newfound wisdom next time I'm sulking because something hasn't gone my way!
    Last hard: last Tues
    Last rest: Sat.

• Options
    Cheers V-Rap, Laura :o)

Forgot to say, it was a new PB by 27 mins, and for all you HR freaks out there, I ran at an average of 164 (83%) of my max. That is a fair bit higher than I normally run at, but after 2 miles decided to forget about the HRM (as I was running too slowly!) and just run to how I felt and didn't have any probs. Think from now on I may just stick to using the HRM for training only.

Gareth
  • Options
    What: 4 or 5 miles easy
    Why: only planning a couple of easy runs this week prior to GSR
    Last hard day: Sat
    Last rest day: yesterday

Ironman - congrats on the PB - a time I could only ever dream of!
  • Options
    drewdrew ✭✭✭
    Gareth, that's an awesome training run! Just think what you will be capable of when you start taking it seriously. Are you still doing Nottingham?

What: Easy 30 min run + weight session
    Why: Taking it easy this week before Saturday's 1/2 marathon
    Last hard day: Friday
    Last rest day: Tuesday
  • Options
    Ironman - that's a phenomenal performance, especially in the heat.

What: The Hoylake 10K course, fairly easy, with my elder son on his mountain bike to pace me.
    Why: Cos the race is 13 days away, the start of the course is less than half a mile away; and "fairly easy" because, even though I feel fine after yesterday's outing, I don't fancy 2 consecutive long (for me!) outings in my NB830s on what will be hard terrain - even when off the coastal embankment. So I'll use my heavier cushioned shoes (Saucony Grid Jazz) instead.

Last hard day: Wed
    Last (quite) hard day: Sun
    Last rest day: Sat
  • Options
    Ironman

What a stormer! A PB by 27 minutes - I can only assume that either:

1. You haven't run a marathon for some time.
    2. Your last marathon was Snowdonia.
    3. You 'ran' you last marathon in flippers as the back end of a pantomime horse.
  • Options
    What: Interval training
    Why: Run up to the GSR

Last hard day: Last Wednesday
    Last rest day: Friday

Well done Ironman!

Compass Kath, see you in Portsmouth!
  • Options
    Ironman - to continue the praise - Congratulations - top perfomrmance

As for me - only 6 weeks to Manchester Marathon - my first, and hoping for an Ironman - (sub 3:15)...... Training getting daunting distances compared to my 1500m training...... Any ideas on how best to run - want to do it as easy as possible!!(Contradiction in terms I know) - unsure whether to go to halfway (80mins) and hope can hang on, or start slow (95mins)and prey that can keep going and/or speed up....

What: 16m training run - home from work, so cannot wimp out and do less

Why: Wimped out yesterday!!!

Last Rest Day - Friday

Last Hard Day - Intervals on Saturday.
  • Options
    In my view, its easiest to go for a pace just inside the target pace (i.e sub 3:10-3:12 pace), for the 1st half, and try and repeat for the 2nd. Its amazing what a difference a good taper can make, and if the wheels come off in the last two miles, then you still have a good chance of sub 3:15. You just dont have that cushion if you aim to do an even sub 3:15 pace from the offset.
    I'm sure the exercise physiologists and marathon vets on the site will offer their probably more valid, and almost certainly contradictary viewpoints, the above is my view given the synergy of my, albeit limited, experience and my reading around the subject.
    (NB: even my club coach, an even-pace advocate said 'for the marathon allow a little for slowing...')
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I haven't stopped simling all day :o)

Martin: You were right, I haven't run a normal marathon since London 2001, and have done alot inbetween.

Drew: I emailed the organisers of Nottingham this morning to see if I could change down to the half, as not sure I want to do another one just yet!

On the issue of how to pace a marathon, I still think to run the fastest time as possible you should aim for even splits. I only ran mine like that because I had been training at speeds that would make for a comfortable 3 hour marathon but didn't have the long runs under my belt. I knew that I could get to around 20 miles before I hit any serious problems, and then knew that a bit of mental strength would pull me through barring any major disasters. It is also suprising if you get to 20 miles and you have run fast, then the incentive to keep running to the finish is also pretty big. In my opinion you are always going to be in some trouble (mentally or physically) by this point in a marathon, so at least you have some time on your side.

I think there is some theory behind it somewhere as well, known as the 10-10-10 rule. First 10 miles easy, 2nd 10 miles hard, 3rd 10K hang on. Maybe it works!

Gareth
  • Options
    Just to add to everyone else's praise, Gareth - very well done. And WW too, very good time for a hilly course.

Today's session:
    What: Gentle gym session + swim
    Why: 1st ever 10k yesterday - wasn't sure how to pace it, ended up with 1:01:15.

Before the race I'd have been happy with anything under 1:05, as I've been doing lots of distance but no speedwork leading up to Loch Ness. Now I'm cursing myself for not having pushed a bit more from 7k onwards when I was feeling good, as I know I could have broken the hour. Never mind - I've now got a PB target.

My legs did feel a bit strange for the first 3-4k - as if the elastic was a bit spongy and things were a bit loose. Probably still the aftermath of the bike crash (I hope) which should subside before Glasgow on Sunday.

Just realised that I can now run 6 miles in 10min miles. 2 years ago I could just manage 3 in 11 min miles. Not exactly Paula standard, but going in the right direction.
  • Options
    Nessie

Good going - and its nice to have a PB to aim at and there is always pleanty of 10k races to aim at

• Options
    Well done to all who raced over the weekend.
    What: 2 mile walk
    Why: 10k race on Wednesday
  • Options
    What: Astanga yoga class
    Why: Nice to stretch every single muscle every now and again.
    Last hard: yesterday 8k on treadmill

Well done to everyone you all inspire me to keep going
  • Options
    What: 5k run

Why: haven't been running for over a week (although 4 tkd classes!)

And very wierd thing - enforced running rest seems to have had 2 beneficial effects: (1) didn't have any of the usual aches and pains, in fact legs felt strongest they've ever been, and (2) scales weighted me a whole 6lb lighter yesterday (than the previous week). Actually think this is wrong, as scales wonky and have to take the most consistent response of 3 goes. But must have lost SOMETHING compared to 4 months of running and not losing a bean!

Must rest more often. :)
  • Options
    What: Steady 8M run
    Why: I'm trying to take it easy for the Great South Run on Sunday, I'm looking forward to it but have not raced since middle of June.
    Last rest: Fri
    Last hard: Thur
    Well done Ironman, I can't wait to get stuck into marathon training again.
  • Options
    Big Tim, I'm sure it's down to the pixels thing, but you look like a male Paula Radcliffe in that pic...

Ironman. So impressive! I will be posting my Marathon training, lack of long run worries, next

Old dog (was that your name). Re: Fags. It really is true that the more you try to give up the more likely it is you will succeed. I gave up last New Year. I never thought I'd do it, and nearly caved in last week. But I've cracked it and the difference to my fitness is amazing. Now trying to cut down on boozy nights and general hedonism. Remain optimisitc that one day, the body is my temple philosphy will kick in...
    Good luck, and don't beat yourself up! Oh, and entering a race is an excellent idea...get fit with a goal and all that
  • Options
    Oh, and as for what I did today...
    What: Long (but not long enough) run of 1:47, around 12 miles
    Why: In theory, I'm training for Dublin Marathon
    Last rest: Saturday
    Last hard: today was fairly hard
    When I get a minute I'll be posting my plea for suggestions on how to get the best time on severely restricted schedule... Summer holidays, new work patterns (ie doing some!) etc.... have thrown training plans...but will get back on track and will get under four hours at Dublin!!!!!!