Pilgrims Hospice Canterbury Half -Marathon

2»

Comments

• Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Thanks DJ39 & CB for the directions.

I really enjoyed the race. Even with the rain there were some fantastic views/scenery to be had. My first time running this and definitely one of the more picturesque routes on the calendar.
  • Congratulations everybody, boy was that wet, but it is avery scenic route. Well done IEK for getting results posted so quickly, much appreciated.
  • Congratulations everybody, boy was that wet, but it is avery scenic route. Well done IEK for getting results posted so quickly, much appreciated.
  • Oops, sorry for double posting.
  • What a fantastic race! Never mind about the torrential rain, it was a beautiful route and the hills weren't nearly as bad as I'd feared (apart from the last one, gah!)
    Managed to get round in 1.46, altho results have added a minute on!
    Really enjoyed the day, hope everyone else got the times they wanted, and thanks to the marshalls and supporters, made such a difference!
  • Ruth

When I first started running I always got official times later than mine and could not understand why. Now I know there is a good reason. Your official time starts when the hooter goes, irrespective of when you cross the start line. If you line up near the back of the "grid" in a narrow lane it can easily take a minute to cross the line, it took me 25 seconds yesterday. When I ran my one and only "chip" race there was about 75 seconds between my clock time and chip time.
  • Bill Well done on your pb great running especially on that course in those conditions.

great course and fantastic organisation and brilliant support from those brave souls who stood in the pooring rain to support us all. Thanks also to Pit Stop crew and bo Bo for the most welcome jelly babies.
  • Thanks Mark. I took the Sweat Shop up on their offer of a half price Garmin 201 and it was an absolute godsend. Being able to regularly check what pace I was doing did help a great deal, as did knowing that Mrs F and a couple of the TRAC ladies were right behind me over the last two miles!
  • I think I have dried out now! The race went according to plan - I started steadily, overtook a few people on the way up the long drag, stood to one side as they zoomed past me again on the downhill, and picked them all off in the next couple of miles before walking up the hill at 10-11, and then overtook a car on the way past the orchards. That was my fourth half this year, and the slowest by a matter of seconds, but I still beat my target time by nearly 3 minutes, so I cannot complain.
  • I think I have dried out now! The race went according to plan - I started steadily, overtook a few people on the way up the long drag, stood to one side as they zoomed past me again on the downhill, and picked them all off in the next couple of miles before walking up the hill at 10-11, and then overtook a car on the way past the orchards. That was my fourth half this year, and the slowest by a matter of seconds, but I still beat my target time by nearly 3 minutes, so I cannot complain.
  • That was a great race! I wanted a time of 1hr 55 to get me back into the swing of running my favourite distance, the half marathon (after having 2.5 yrs off)! It certainly has got my motivation back - I ran 1hr 48 mins, so I am chuffed to bits (still 1 minute away from my PB, but I wasn't planning a fast one anyway, so I am pleasantly surprised).

Thanks to the RW sub-50 min training schedule (which I did not follow 100% mind you!).

It was a wonderful run - I didn't even walk once, not even up the hill!
    Now I need to decide on my next race - there is no stopping me now!

I will be doing that one again next year - I am off to rate it.

Well done all of you and well done to the guy I stopped from walking up the last hill to the finish line.
  • Thanks for explaining the timing system Bill, makes a lot of sense, I was quite a way back at the start of the race so that must be why my clock time was quicker.
    Kept looking around for the elusive Mike Gratton, but all I could hear was his voice booming out from the tannoys in the hedges, how on earth he ran a half marathon in 1 hour 5 mins I do not know!
  • mrb,

If you are in that sort of form, why not try the Southend Half in a couple of weeks time? It is much flatter than Canterbury, and has definite PB potential, if the sun does not come out...