Where's my medal then ?

Wolverhampton achieved City status last year, I understand. Yesterday must have been the first time ever that you spend 4 hours in the baking hot sunshine running in a City Marathon and as you cross the line you are presented with a) a wet sponge, b) a bottle of water and c) a t-shirt : No Medal At All for any of the 2000 competitors. The t-shirt is identical to the free shirt given away for each of the last 4 Wolverhampton Marathons too - so what was a goody bag bonus for the last 4 years is now this year's award. It's basically a big ad for the major sponsor, Carvers, featuring their logo rather prominently. The finish line staff were clearly embarrassed and after a tough full Marathon I was more than disappointed.
It was my 64th full Marathon yesterday and the only other race where the award was a finisher's t-shirt was Telford, run brilliantly on a shoestring by Telford AC and with only 200 entrants. On the other hand I've run all of the Wolverhampton Marathons, including the Billy Wilson 80's ones, because I believe in supporting my local race : and there has always been a finisher's medal, even the last 1988 "shall we hold it or not" one...
Maybe the time has come not to reserve an automatic place in my diary for Wolverhampton ? The message I got yesterday was "Thanks for coming to our city, spending your money, working hard and supporting your local events. Please wear this advert for our sponsors, take this water and s?d off." I know it's not the reason why we run them, but my 5-year-old little boy was waiting at the door for me to put my medal round his neck when I came home and he was even more disappointed than me. Marshals, staff, policing, facilities - great, excellent, thanks a lot ! Organisers ? Very poo-er.

Comments

• I have to say I agree with you. Yesterday I ran my first half marathon. I found giving birth easier!! I ran from start to finish (my only aim). What do I have to show for it a t-shirt that says I took part in he full marathon. I'd get more if I run the 10k next week at Walsall
  • You should think yourselves lucky - here in Germany there are very rarely any give aways at races - the best is usually a cup of fizzy water and maybe a banana! Having said that the entry fees are usually a lot lower than the UK - typically €5-6
  • Hi, all !

Have a peek at http://www.expressandstar.com/artman/publish/article_10549.shtml if you ran on Sunday !

It says :

Marathon bosses in rethink over medals
    By Helen Smith
    Sep 3, 2002, 12:05pm
    Organisers of the Wolverhampton City Marathon have offered to give medals to any runners wanting them following complaints that none were presented on the day.
    The organising committee this year took the decision not to hand out medals to all participants, opting instead to donate as much money as possible to charity.
    But despite warning all runners on their entry forms that this was the case, many were still disappointed to cross the finishing line on Sunday after a gruelling 26 miles, and find only a t-shirt for their efforts.
    Debbie Dance, chair of the organising committee, said medals would be produced for anyone requesting them.
    "As this is an event to raise money for charity, the committee made a decision not to supply medals as participants would still receive t-shirts," she said.
    "In hindsight, we were probably misguided as we failed to consider that the majority of entrants would be first time runners or fun runners and that they would be proud to receive a medal.
    "As a result we have decided to amend our decision and, for those who want one, provide medals for people who participated in either full or half marathon, corporate relay or cycle ride."
    She added that the estimated cost of this would be up to £1,500.
    Malcolm Jeffrey, a veteran runner who took part in his 64th marathon on Sunday, was one of those dismayed to cross the line to find no medal, and applauded the u-turn.
    The 42-year-old from Stourbridge said though the medal is not the reason why people run marathons, it is a fitting memento for people to keep.
    "How on Earth they overlooked that small detail in the first place is anyone's guess," he added.
    Anyone wanting to receive a medal should write to Rachel Hobbs at Carver (Wolverhampton) Ltd, Littles Lane, Wolverhampton, West Midlands, WV1 1JY, stating their full name, address and which event they participated in.