Options

Chip Timing

In my previous marathons (albeit only three) my 'official time' on certificate/photos etc has been the time as recorded by the Chip, but I recently did the Brentwood half and they advised that my official time, as per IAAF rules is the (slower) Gun Time.

What will be the case for the FLM this year? Will it be the same as the last two times I ran (in 02 and 03) where the Chip time is used?

If the gun time is used, surely that defeats the point of using a Chip system??

Any comments/thoughts.....

Comments

• Options
    I have a feeling that those of us not in the Elite/Championship starts aren't officially competing (i.e. eligible to win) anyway, but I could be wrong.

But anyway, chip-to-chip is always unofficial - you can't have a runner finishing behind a competitor yet winning the race. The same was true in 02 and 03, and every year before or since.
  • Options
    The time on the photo is your chip time...
  • Options
    Which kind-of bears out my feeling that we're not actually official....? Anyway, it's academic, as no-one gives a stuff about the gun time except when it concerns the leaders. Qualification/GFA times are accepted from the chip time. Academic - one for the pedants. Such as me.
  • Options
    Depends what colour start your in and whether or not you can get a lift from Swindon.
  • Options
    It'll be chip time or hardly anyone would be able to get a GFA time !
  • Options
    Paula's run in 2002 was a women-only world record, as opposed to the mixed-race world-record she set in 2003.

Where did that leave the women amongst the masses in 2002? Were they in a different race? It's all very murky.
  • Options
    If I start from pen 8 at the Red start, and dont cheat, but somehow am the first to cross the finish line, then I have won the race, I dont care about "offical" or not!

If you dont believe me, just watch the news on the night, when in my interview I will fight my case!

sorry...dreaming again!

Kev (predicting 6hrs!)
  • Options
    According to the magazine there will be clocks at every 5k showing the gun times (obviously personalised chip times would be nice, but slightly impractical).

Is there going to be a clock on the start-line as well so we will be able to work out our chip time as we go round?
  • Options
    Think about a photofinish at the Olympic games in the 100m final. Often .01 seconds separates positions and no account is made of who got a faster / slower start (as long as all were legal). The rules quite clearly state that the finishing positions are what matters, hence gun time is all that matters in the race.

However, if you're not on the AAAs or elite start then you aren't really in the race. You're in the associated fun run, and your chip time is recognised as an official record as to your performance over the 26 miles on the day.

Wirral Dave - howabout running with your own stopwatch?