Leicester City Marathon

Comments

• Absolutely Sean!

Good luck to everyone. See you in the morning

• Probably too late but wishing you all good luck tomorrow.  I look forward to the reports.

So sorry that I had to pull out.  Hope you all do well.

• Good luck everyone!

I think the weather is going to be kind.

I hope to see you all going strong around the Swithland area.

• Just done my last run before the race image

Looking forward to this!

• we are going to park on london road or near there rather than the official car park cos know that area so not likely to get lost.

good luck everyone,

• Well

This is it ahh !!!!!!!!!

Up at 5 am, away at 6 ish

look out folkes

Turbo powered Mick n Phil are on their way !!! 

• See you all tomorrow.

Go Jonny!

Go Pirates!

• If anyone is still here, then GO TO BED!

Good luck to you all. And may I wish you all the very best.

• Can I finish my glass of wine please?!
  • I'm thinking of you all very enviously.  I fear I am going to be measuring out my morning in miles rather than time today!!!!  I hope you have the same weather in Leicester as here: wind free and overcast. Looks pretty well perfect to me.

I'm looking forward to catching up with some stunning race reports in a few hours time!!!image

• Hi everyone!

Well I enjoyed the event, even though I only covered about a mile of the actual course, over  and over again.

I jogged out from my home in Lufbra, starting out at 9 o'clock. Travelling along the footpaths, on what was a cool hazy day, I got to Swithland about 10:00 (5.5 miles) and waited with one of the (local lady runner) marshals for the first folks to arrive. It was quite a wait, as I had been told the race start was delayed waiting fot the Mayor, but eventually the first man came through closely followed by the second. There was then a fair size gap before the next two came through almost side by side.

Then the folks really started to arrive, and my hands were soon getting tired of applauding. I don't know how many forumites spotted me in my T-shirt with my avatar on the front

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/209/478938487_1b05de63cc_o.gif

(but without the rolling road).Then Mick n Phil came along, and I jogged along with them for about a mile, they were going strong when I turned and jogged back down the road, until I met Hippo, and did the same thing again. Finally I turned once again and soon found myself at the end of the pack, where Shades was acting as sweeper, and for the last time I went over the same stretch of road with her.By this time the sun was coming out and I had a nice jog home, with a side trip to buy my rail ticket for work Tomorrow, my total mileage was just over 17.I hope everyone managed to enjoy the event. From my perspective it appeared to be organised in a very friendly fashion. Well done to the marshals and to all who took part.Maybe next year I will actually apply in time to do it myself.
  • A great race spoiled by the carparking.

I added a comment on the other link but there werea few extra things I wanted to say:

There seemed to  be a lot of people who carped on about the hills.  IMHO there wasn't any problem with the hills.  The downhill at 15 1/2 miles was a bit steep for ideal comfort maybe but apart from that it was a great course.

The scenery was varied and kept the interest up.  Surely we don't want a race that does endless loops in a city scape?

MArk

• I saw you big Dave but I didnt realise until you had gone past that it was you!!!

I had to walk that downhill at 15.5 cos it was too steep.

A well organised race but I didnt do very well, infact was quite dissapointed. Had been hoping for closer to 4.15 than 4.30 and ended up with 4.39 (I think) garmin lost signal early on so reset it at 2 miles then it measured the next mile short, it comtinued being short for some time then all of a sudden was measuring long so dindt know where I was!!

Hip flexors tightened up from about 13miles, all I can think of was that it was the hills, only tend to get that towards the end of a long run.

OH managed to see my 3 times on the course and give me an ice bottle!! I had loads of bottles in the freezer overnight so he gave me a new one each time. It is a good way of preventing me from drinking too much as it thaws out gradually. this is my first marathon where I havnt needed a Pee!!

Much prefered the second half although was struggling by then, the hills had taken it out of me.

Hope the rest of you had better experiences than me

• that wasnt flat was it?

I thought the organisation was top notch, the marshalls were to a man/woman/child really friendly!

I got a pb too-which was amazing considering I struggled and had to walk at 10 miles

• nice to see Mick n phil again, past you at 20 miles having a little walk!!
  • Great race, well organised.  But I would have to join the group wondering if this can be called flat!!! And great Thank you! to Rob from Cardiff, a fellow first time marathon runner, who got me through the first 17 miles in good pace, allowing a decent time at the end, 3:33, way better than the 3:50 or so that I had planned for. Cheers Rob!!!

• flat, whatever!! chose this marathon as my first as i thought it would be flat, but should be classed as undulating. up until about 14 miles i was well on for 3.30 but the hills took their toll massively and has to walk a few times, which a lot of people seemed to be doing. finished on 4 hours, which i am really pleased with considering

very very well marshalled and nice to see the locals out giving support to every runner. thought the high 5 drink was disgusting and only had it once. really enjoyed my first marathon even though it wasn't quite what i expected

• well that was bloody good for a first marathon on that course Chris

well done!

• Sorry about the description, perhaps flat was a bit of an exageration but it is much flatter than the old course and the half really was flat. I did put undulating in the description but it seems to have been lost in the precis! Well done everyone and hope you enjoyed it despite the unduls.

Results now on the web site.

• advances on bob with machete

I have PMT you know

Seriously-that was stupendously well organised

the marshals were superb, and the road closures were like clockwork

i might forgive you for the hillsimage

(er, even the locals admitted to there being a hill at mile 7, you naughty boy!)

• I'm tired, very tired

But very happy

• Oh, and YES

i don't mind admitting it !!

• Oh yes.. i'll get it right in a minute

Don't mind admitting I'm tired that is !!

• Yes, well done!!! So what, it was not flat. I happy 3:33 is a good starting point and now I can go for a flat second marathon instead, knowing I can handle a few hills!image

Thank you for a GREAT RACE Bob & co!!!!!!!!!

• Well done Bob and everyone else involved with the Leicester Mara and half.

The event was fanastically organised, marshalls and drink station helpers were great, the course was pleasant and, yes, it was as flat as a pancake compared to the old course - hills add variety anyway, totally flat courses are no good for the legs. Everything went just to plan. I nearly forgot, local support along the route was great too.

A huge success I think. Here's hoping this is a regular on the running calendar.

We didn't have any probs with car parking, but we arrived just before 8am. 

Well done on your PB Hippo.

And Ultra Hamster, a very big well done. You had a great run! Fanastic!

I just looked at the results and was pleased my chip time registered at 3:19:51 (thought it was 3:20, which sounds much slower!)  That was also a PB for me and was pleased with that time, as my hamstring (scar tissue) was killing by 10 miles (thank goodness for ibruprofen, naughty I know, but it was essential).

A very enjoyable day, well done again Bob and Co image 

• Meant to say, well done to everyone else tooimage

How did you do Mick?

Steve, results are on Leicester Marathon website - click on Leicester City Marathon at top of page and then click on website

• I can only see results for 2006 only, maybe im being a bit thick will look again, cheers
  • yes agree, that high 5 was nasty, I had teh red one at another race, far more palatable