Options

Leicester City Marathon

Comments

• Options
    MopheadMophead ✭✭✭

Ultra Hamster - the chap in balck vest & black shorts, running in memory of his dad......

I remember passing him at some point, possibly in the area where that rubble had been dumped on the road and even though I was almost halucinating in the last four miles or so, I don't think he passed me again.

However, I did see him about half an hour after I finished, he was jogging back in the direction of the start area....looking pretty fresh. Made me quite envious of him!

• Options

Looking pretty fresh

LOL

Sure was'nt me then !!

• Options
    Thanks for photos info everyone.
  • Options

Yes, should be at Tewkesbury in May, DB9, all being well.

I understand your twitchiness re:FLM.  Thankfully they've got my form.  What did they advise you?

It is one week today since my last run.image Did an hour on a gym bike (mega yawn) with HR 150 ish.  Don't normally train by HR , so don't really know what this means, but must have done me more good than sitting on my backside!! (Oh, come to think of it I was sitting on my backside!!!image)

• Options

Ultra Hamster,

I said Hi at the very end when we were taking on board the Hi 5 drink just before the end of the finish system. You were with a clubmate then.

I thought you were dragging me around? Are you normally slower?

I managed the 1st half in 1.34 dead and the 2nd in 1.35.20. Pretty even split times.

• Options

I'm normally slower Sean, that was a pb after 10 years and before yesterday I hadn't got within 8 minutes of the old pb (if that makes sense!) But that's partly because I tend to run marathons to help train for ultras.  This one was "the" one I'd trained for and tapered for.  The three I did in September were all around 3'26 3'28 and apart from them I hadn't got under 3'30 since 2001.

Leicester was 99 on my marathon and ultra list, I do my 100th at Snowdonia.

I think I relaxed a bit once you weren't right behind me, also I knew with 2 miles to go that I'd beaten my pb.  I've done that before when I've had a friend trying to beat me at 5k, once he dropped back I slowed down as well without realising.  It does help having two people together, unless they start having a conversation (which in other races I'll usually do!!).

• Options

Train for ultras alright

Ultra Hammy goes around draycote like a wippet !!

best of luck for your 100th

• Options

"There was a lady in a black vest and black shorts wearing an MP3, who seemed quite comfortable, but she must have dropped off somewhere."

That was meimage Bang on for a 3:15 finish, having great fun running with that group of you, but my achilles just got incredibly tight and I simply couldn't run properly. Staggered in at 3:36:24. Am so going for bust at Luton nowimage

Congrats on all the PBs that people gotimage and congrats to everyone else who ran it. Although there were, slightly, more undulations than I was expecting I thought it was a lovely course and fantastically organised.

• Options

Rosa - I was in that group (white vest, blue shorts), along with Birmingham Owl and others on here. I looked at you and wished I felt as you looked image. So sorry you were unable to carry on as you were. Hope it's nothing serious. 

• Options

Ultra Hamster,

Congratulations on the PB and marathon/ultra 99. Good luck with number 100/Snowonia. That is some achievement to be proud of.

I don't even think I would have been capable of holding a conversation on Sunday in the latter stages of the race. I was a "dead man walking" but sensed I was going to hit around 3.10 if the wheels didn't fall off. That was more than enough to keep me going. Pain is temporary, pride is forever.

That was marathon number 5 for me over the last 3 years or so. All raced. Going to give up the marathons for the next 2 years or so and restore some the balance back to my home life. It certainly takes it out of you mentally and physically. I intend to run many more marathons in the future but I don't know if I will race any more.........maybe just one more if I can commit to a long, sustained period of training.image

Good luck to everyone for their future aims, plans and ambitions.

• Options

I'm sure I posted something yesterday, but it seems to have got lost in translation !

Thanks again for the well wishes.- I'm sore enough that I'm not quite so down on myself for not trying harder.
    Going to try a gentle swim and bike today.- and see where we go from there.

(Actually- I know where I'm going.- Whitby in a week and a half and then Jamaica {bounce} then back to winter training).

• Options

not feeling so bad today, hip still a bit tight but the limp has gone. A couple of my collegues who have done marathons laughed at my yesterday going slowly downstairs at least I was able to go front ways even if it was jsut one step at a time.

Does anyone else find that last bit after you have finished but where you are collected medal etc the hardest? I found similar at edinburgh, I was more or less ok for the last part of the race, OK I was a bit slow but was not hobbling or anything then as soon as I cross the line my legs stop working.

Planning a gentle run or swim tonight, was tempted to go to body pump last night as I usually go on monday, legs felt they could have coped ok with slightly lower weights but thought I best be good and rest and watch dragons den!image

• Options

Fine today

all ready for Lady Godiva HM

Bring it on !!

• Options

Well done to everyone who completed the run on Sunday.

I had a nightmare and finished 45 minutes slower than my PB in 4:21, but just wanted to thank Charlotte Thompson for getting me through the last ten miles or so. I was so angry and frustrated with myself that I was all for chucking in the towel, but Charlotte - if you're reading this - you're a star.

I'll chalk this one down to experience and while it was going to be my last of five marathons, I can't end on a low and so will be back for more punishment next year.

Having moved over to the Leicester from the cancelled Abingdon and read that the course was flat, I was also stunned by the first half of the course - did the city planners put all those hills in just for the day image

Once again, congratulations to all who managed to cross the line.

• Options

Liam from Corby, good run mate. Came in in 3.29 in the which was bang on target really but a little disappointed after the fast comfortable start. I will have to get used to those gel things next time, might help me in the last 3 miles where i really started to struggle.

It was good running with you. I have a good photo from Mile 14 if you want it. email me at stuart.holyoak at (thecompanyiworkforifyouremember) .co.uk and i'll send it you. i see your dad did pretty well too.

Great Race Birstall, i was good to come home to Leicester and run in my own city after so many year living away. Will defo do it next year if its in the city again.

Stuart

Wigan Phoenix

• Options

Hellen.- I know where you're coming from- the walk to the water just seemed too far.-

The guy handing it out seemed to realise and walked half way to meet me - which was very kind.-

- Generally, I agree that it was well organised and beautifully martialled ( except for the farce at HSBC car park- we got there with time to spare but if we'd been there 5 mins later we would have been unable to park).-

BUT I feel that we were a bit conned by claims that it was a PB course ( I know that a fair number of us did PB and congratulations to them) but I really think the course was far too twisty and turny plus the undulations  to be considered a PB course- and I definitely wouldn't do it again as part of a PB hunt.

• Options
    I know what you mean lp, we arrived late and there was a big queue for the car park and we ended up parking in an NCP 3/4 mile away. Cost us six quid. I'm doing New York in 3 weeks, which has 450m of climbing and looks very similar to Leicester (it is also not regarded as a PB course). By the way thanks for leading the way in the middle of the race, I just managed to keep your red hair in view, and I'm sorry for calling you IP.
  • Options

Rosa - Were you wearing an East London vest? If so, I remember over-taking you around 23 miles (ish); you were having a big rant about cyclists at the time (not that I blame you; that woman nearly cycled over your foot!).

I echo lp in the 'pb' level of the course. It was ridiculously twisty in the last few miles, and not 'flat' in any sense (altho I quite enjoy up-downs)...Apart from the dreaded L****, are there any other maras perhaps more pb friendly? In Spring, perhaps?

• Options

BR.- Not a problem.- It's a very common thing.- so is 1P image I never intended to post when I first registered ! And it seems a shame to change it now.- (Although hopefully in June I'll have to get a "." or "iron" reference in there somewhere).

Glad my hair was helpful to more than just me... I'd not thought about it before.-

(Of course.- if I'm ever racing for position I'll have to hide it so the women behind me don't make a special effort to catch me)

• Options
    Bring on Luton!
  • Options

Sean

i try and read most posts, but yours has reminded me  of things

My Pain yesterday WAS only temporary... but MY pride is in tact and for ever !!

I too  was finding it toughish in parts, but my huge experience, and mental stamina pulled me through

I seriously thought after our 10th marathon, that there would be no more, but leicester was our 24th

My pride is also in a way, been restored

i would like to say to those involved ...

You have to admire all runners, especially marathon runners BUT

You have to just ADMIRE those people in or about to be 100 marathon + club

Sadly me and Phillip  will NEVER achieve that, i don't mind, it's been obvious from day one... but we have proudly surpassed 100 HM's

For me all this has bought  so much joy and pleasure, Phillip's happy, and i'm happy

regardless of the days and runs that don't quite go right 

i would also like to  repeat that statement

Good luck to everyone with future aims, plans and ambitions

• Options
    Edinburgh Marathon is in May and is pretty flat I think
  • Options
    Paris and Lochaber marathons are both flat.
  • Options

yes edinburgh isnt too bad for hills

but it can get windy

• Options

Hellen,

Thanks for tips yesterday pointed me in directin of July 07 Runners World which had schematic of the upper leg on page 75. After studying this and reading article I think my problem lays in the piriformis and hamstrings the first annoying the second.

• Options

Dickie glad to be of use! Hope you sort it out soon.

Mick n Phil, if I was wanting to go for a good time next year which would be best, notts or lecester?

A fair few people did get PBs but I woudl be interested to know, of those who did, were they PBs there for the taking cos they were not a true reflection of that persons ability? For example someone on fetch was dead pleased with his 30 min PB, I then looked at his details, he had a 1.30 HM and a 4 something marathon so he was bound to beat that provided he trained.

really enjoyed edinburgh, yes flat, well actaully a net downhill, there were a few little inclines a bit like that little incline at the end on sunday but nothing that lasted for long. It was very windy for a lot of it which wasnt good so it depends what you like. I did it 20 mins faster than london so I must be better off with wind than heat!

• Options

Hellen,

Previous to Sunday my marathon PB was 3:19:58 at London this year (which wasn't a true reflection on my ability due to the heat, congestion etc) which was only a 32 second improvement on my Berlin 06 time. My HM PB is 1:29:50 at the Nike MK Half in March before London (desipte being tripped in the 1st mile and loosing a good few square inches of skin from my knee, thigh, elbow and shoulder!).

The McMillan calculator predicts from a HM time of approx 1.30 equates to a FM of about 3.10.

I ran 3.09.20 on Sunday. I put a 10+ minute PB gain down to following the 12 week, 70 miles per week Advanced Marathon (Pfizter and Douglas?) schedule which has you doing a 15 and a 12 mile run midweek as well as the LSR on a Sunday too not to mention LT, Tempo and some double session too (not a training schedule for the faint hearted!). It has really helped me to build up my stamina.

I ran the GNR 2 weeks before Leicester in 1.32.28 with plenty left in the tank, so I knew I was in pretty good shape. However, I was a little afraid of what was in store on Sunday whilst driving into Leicester and after the the downhill 1st mile or so (not to mention the uphill bit after mile 3!).

Didn't think I'd clock under 3.10 in a month of Sundays but I did run the latter stages with Ultra Hamster dragging me along. It certainly helped. If I had stayed with the other groups/runners I had met on route I may have finished the wrong side of 3.15 as most crashed and burned at some point despite looking stronger than myself in the earlier stages.

• Options
    well hellen, I think it is fair to say that my pbs are very soft
  • Options

Hellen

Notts or leicester ??

Notts , 12,000 strong severely undulating first half , 1,500 strong  and flat second half, 19 miles on was gale force this time

And leicester. well you know !

Answer, i  don't know...

i suppose Notts, edges it !!