FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Gillian/Colin

Just lame excuses I am afraid - I have given up running long distances for 1 year to see if I can run faster before age catches up and overtakes me!  During this time I will be racing up to a maximum of 10 miles.  I must say that I really enjoyed racing a couple of 5ks before I went off on holiday, but they seem pretty thin on the ground over the autumn. 

My training over the summer has been based on shorter distances and pretty thin on the ground compared to normal - but my garden is looking good as I have spent a fair bit of time working there!

Next races are probably going to be East Neuk 10k, Norham 10k and Meadows 5k, but I am nursing a cold and will not do anything until that has passed.

Hopefully we can meet up at a race somewhere!

All the best again to everyone running on Sunday!

• debbodebbo ✭✭✭

Debstir - it's easy peasy - if you hold down the shift key when you press return it doesn't double space (Nessie said so!)

Running Bhoy 10528 time 1.18  (racing to get to handmaidens & champagne!!!)
    Baza 11205 (I think, need to check) time 1:27
    Cameron Little 13762 (blue) time 1.40Captain Haddock 1.40
    Amberskyes -11190 anything between 1.40 and 1.45 would make me smile lots anything else and i will still smile lots coz i will be on the wine by tea time anyhow image
    Greg McAlister can't remember 1:50  
    Scottishharimau 12842 time 1hr 50 min
    Straycelt 12162 and happy with anything around 1 hr 50 min
    Gillian D Grant can't remember sub 2 would be good
    Wee Col - (green) ditto. Gillianimage                                                                          
    Debstir - green 15779 - what those last two said image
    KarenD - 19966 - (would do same time as Running Bhoy if male version of handmaiden and champagne) - however I'll be realistic (a first) and say sub 2 would make my day 
    Debbo - 16482 - no idea, not been running much, but hoping for about 2.05
    Weegie - 15something (green anyway) - about 2:10 (although still hoping for miraculous sub - 2)
    CarrieD 19285 ..finishing would be good and under 2hr 30 mins would be better!      Mick the mackem
    SFC
    Cameron
    Siouxie
    Bungee + Brother
    Nessie (and Mr Nessie supporting)
    Velociraptor
    eL Bee!
    Iron Swissbobby
    Bryan the Snail
    - yellow 18603

• Running Bhoy 10528 time 1.18  (racing to get to handmaidens & champagne!!!)
    Amberskyes -11190 anything between 1.40 and 1.45 would make me smile lots anything else and i will still smile lots coz i will be on the wine by tea time anyhow image
    Wee Col - (green) ditto. Gillianimage                                                                          
    Debstir - green 15779 - what those last two said image
    KarenD - 19966 - (would do same time as Running Bhoy if male version of handmaiden and champagne) - however I'll be realistic (a first) and say sub 2 would make my day
    bungee - blue 13755 - sub 2 amazing - realistically 2-2.02
    Weegie - 15something (green anyway) - about 2:10 (although still hoping for miraculous sub - 2)
    CarrieD 19285 ..finishing would be good and under 2hr 30 mins would be better!      Mick the mackem
    SFC
    Cameron
    Siouxie
    Bungee + Brother
    Velociraptor
    eL Bee!
    Iron Swissbobby
    Bryan the Snail
    - yellow 18603

• Steven, how old and when does it catch up? If you started later does that mean you've got more time? What about age category? Is there more to life than gardening? Baby boomer, rock cand roll children or 60's and can remember can all still give it wellly if they really want.

Looking forward to coming home and running this fine city. Like the idea of the green ribbon but given age and time it could be just a blur in the far distance running bhoy and you won't see us slightly older and slower forumites behind. Maybe a 8.15 meet would be good.

How far is the walk from the finish to the start and how secure is the baggage for those of us without handmaidens and no expectation of champagen/rub down/chariot home etc?

• Steven, how old and when does it catch up? If you started later does that mean you've got more time? What about age category? Is there more to life than gardening? Baby boomer, rock cand roll children or 60's and can remember can all still give it wellly if they really want.

Looking forward to coming home and running this fine city. Like the idea of the green ribbon but given age and time it could be just a blur in the far distance running bhoy and you won't see us slightly older and slower forumites behind. Maybe a 8.15 meet would be good.

How far is the walk from the finish to the start and how secure is the baggage for those of us without handmaidens and no expectation of champagne/rub down/chariot home etc?

• Straycelt - I only started this seriously 2 years ago so I don't knowwhen age catches up, but it must be sometime soon.  The gardening I was doing was pretty heavy going stuff so I don't feel it was "pipe and slipper" preparation!  My intention is to speed up, when I started racing I set off to do a marathon and now I want to see if I can actually get faster over shorter distances - and see if that helps me run a faster marathon when I hit 50 (gulp, there, I said it!!!) in a couple of years. 

Reading that last para again, I think I should try and get out more often!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Running Bhoy 10528 time 1.18 (racing to get to handmaidens & champagne!!!)
    Amberskyes -11190 anything between 1.40 and 1.45 would make me smile lots anything else and i will still smile lots coz i will be on the wine by tea time anyhow
    Wee Col - (green) ditto. Gillian
    Debstir - green 15779 - what those last two said
    bungee - blue 13755 - sub 2 amazing - realistically 2-2.02
    CarrieD 19285 ..finishing would be good and under 2hr 30 mins would be better! Mick the mackem
    SFC
    Cameron
    Siouxie
    Bungee + Brother
    Nessie (and Mr Nessie supporting) Yellow 19*** I'd love a 2:14 PB, but I've probably not done enough training
    Velociraptor
    eL Bee!
    Iron Swissbobby
    Bryan the Snail - yellow 18603
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I didn't deliberately miss out the bold bits - my buttons had disappeared. image

I wonder how much time Running Bhoy will lose after the nervous energy he'd have used up last night?  That was some match!

• Running Bhoy 10528 time 1.18 (racing to get to handmaidens & champagne!!!)
    Amberskyes -11190 anything between 1.40 and 1.45 would make me smile lots anything else and i will still smile lots coz i will be on the wine by tea time anyhow
    CarrieD 19285 ..finishing would be good and under 2hr 30 mins would be better! Mick the mackem
    SFC
    Cameron
    Siouxie
    Bungee + Brother

Nessie (and Mr Nessie supporting) Yellow 19*** I'd love a 2:14 PB, but I've probably not done enough training
    Velociraptor
    eL Bee!
    Iron Swissbobby
    Bryan the Snail
    - yellow 18603
  • Recovering from last night's Jalfrezi and paying for it dearly. Would win any sprint going today. Off out tonight for a bimble, maybe squeeze another in tomorrow.

Steven, another late 50's vintage then...in good company and yes, shorter distances done faster will help with the biggie. Take your 10k time, multiply by 5, subtract 10 mins and you'll get a fairly accurate prediction for a marathon, but you'll need to be doing the marathon training when you do the 10k otherwise the step up would be too much. 40min 10k suggests 3.10 marathon, 50min 10k suggests 4hr and seems to work for me over the years.

My ambition was/is to do world top 10 marathons in 5 years so in a couple of years time, when I hit 50, should celebrate completion by doing Boston and Honolulu. Funny feeling I won't be going for a time in the latter.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    (wonders if Harimu is trying to make a point....)

• I've got a button...........image
  • Steven Mac Interesting, may be I should try the shorter and faster stuff.  But as I remember it didn't you do the Edinburgh Marathon this year in a rather impressive time ?
    Wee Col remember no do the fast stuff tonight at Jog Scotland.  All I want to see is you and George trotting along having a nice blokey chat as we head for the ice cream shop !!
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    It was the bold on done enough training..........
  • "ice cream shop". thats some training session Col..... lol

• Straycelt,

It's an easy 10 - 15 minute walk between the start and finish.

Sorry, I've never used the baggage area so I can't really say. However, I'd think it should be OK (I don't recall any comments from previous years suggesting otherwise). Although, to be sure, I'd suggest that if you've anything you'd be annoyed to lose, then don't leave it in your bag (not always possible I know!).

Good luck all.

Tommy.

• Gillian not sure if I'll make JS tonight as I've got to head west for a couple of site visits this afternoon followed by a meeting in our head office at 4:30 so goodness knows when I'll get away.  Pass on my apologies to Fiona if I don't manage.  Enjoy your ice cream and I'll see you in Glasgow on Sunday or on the train (8image0 am) beforehand.

• Afternoon peeps
    I've updated the lists and also sorted them out - I felt someone had too. image

List one - Finishing times
    Cameron Little 13762 (blue) time 1.40
    Captain Haddock 1.40
    Nessie Yellow 19*** I'd love a 2:14 PB, but I've probably not done enough training
    CarrieD 19285 ..finishing would be good and under 2hr 30 mins would be better!

List two - Meeting before at City Chambers
    Mick the mackem
    SFC
    Wee Col
    Karen D and pal.
    Cameron
    Siouxie
    Bungee + Brother
    Gillian D Grant
    Velociraptor
    eL Bee!
    Iron Swissbobby
    Debbo
    Bryan the Snail
    Baza
    Debstir
    Lady Fox
    Foxxy

If I missed anyone I'm sorry image

• Gillian - the point was it was slower than I wanted or I thought I had trained for.  When I do the marathon training I always start out with the intention of doing some faster sessions, but it hasn't happened yet, so.......I thought if I didn't have the marathon I would not have the excuse to keep the miles up and then be able to run faster!  Time will tell if this happens or not!

• Is anybody driving to this race from Edinburgh? I'm going to do the half marathon and my  girlfriend's doing the 10k, which starts 2 mins before the first train of the day arrives in Glasgow (very helpful!). If anybody is driving over and has two free seats we'd be very grateful and pay petrol! Please email at d94625@gmail.com or ring on 07793 035821

Thanks, Dave 

• Sad to say im going to have to pull out of Sundays race.

Im gutted, but a calf injury which ive had for nearly 2 weeks now has really put the spanner in the works.I feel really p##### off.I was looking forward to doing Glasgow for the 4th time on the trott.I love running in Glasgow and to miss this years run has sickened me.

The marathon im doing on the 16th Sept is looking dodgy now and the GNR at the end of Sept.

Ive spent all summer training and hope now, its not all going to waist.

I'll pop back on before Sunday to give my best wishes.

• haha, looking at all your half marathon times is making me feel sick! I'm hoping to finish the 10k in that amount of time!

I'm really excited now. I hadn't been running in over a week and had a REALLY heavy weekend of drink, eating junk and smoking way too much. Went for a 30 min run yesterday and probably the same tomorrow then race day. I just hope I can finish it!

Do we get medals? haha

I was pretty surprised to get bus tokens for the ride there and back, saves me £2! I'm a poor student so that's a pint sorted for after image
  • Change of name for me got bored with Alison mcmiken!!

Carrie D.

As far as times go it looks like its you and me doing impersonation of snails compared to all the speedy ones!!

• Not another man down Mick!!! Think this forum jinxed!! Take care and wise move - hope injury improves for your other races. Did a bimble(classic word that I inject into most conversations at mo) last night in me new trainers but kept wigging my toes to check plenty room so hurt my toes cause I wiggled to much therefore wearing my old faithfulls Sunday - they squeak - apologies to those running around me with no music to drown out the sound.

Tut tut Vicky - you're supposed to leave the indulgance till the Sunday night!!

Yup you get a medal and caramel wafer and banana and lots of leaflets and money of for pizzas and other bits and bobs and blisters.

• Karen D.

Hope you're not over using the "bimble" or the cows will get you!!!

• Mick

Really sorry that you can't make it - fingers crossed that you'll still manage the marathon & GNR.  Hopefully will see you at Carlisle in October.
  • Mick really sorry you have to pull out, fingers crossed for your mara and the GNR.

On a more positive note I'm all set for Sunday and really looking forward to the race.

• List one - Finishing times
    Cameron Little 13762 (blue) time 1.40
    Captain Haddock 1.40
    Nessie Yellow 19*** I'd love a 2:14 PB, but I've probably not done enough training
    CarrieD 19285 ..finishing would be good and under 2hr 30 mins would be better!
    Siouxie 18812 Yellow slower than you lot 

List two - Meeting before at City Chambers
    Mick the mackem
    SFC
    Wee Col
    Karen D and pal.
    Cameron
    Siouxie
    Bungee + Brother
    Gillian D Grant
    Velociraptor
    eL Bee!
    Iron Swissbobby
    Debbo
    Bryan the Snail
    Baza
    Debstir
    Lady Fox
    Foxxy

If I missed anyone I'm sorry image

• You should get that word "bimble" patented or trade marked Alibaliboo - you could have  made a fortune from me this week.  Using it in phrases such as"What you fancy for your bimble tea" just doesn't work tho!!

Had an episode with the sheep up hill other night - swear they created a picket line to stop me going any further(I'm positive they had wee plackards saying "bogg off karend&quotimage -  they just wouldn't budge - I had to "sheepishly(sorry)" turn back and head back down hill. 

AAAhh - 48.25 hours from now guys(for 10kers) 49.25(for halfies) and counting - stopped alcohol intake from Wednesday.