Options

FRESH'N'LO Great Scottish Run

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gillian

Never done the Donkey Brae before but have run form Dalgety Bay to Burntisland when I was down that way. My partner is from Dalgety Bay but she isn't aware of the actually route - all I know is there is a hill (Brae) at the end.

Think we need to pick up chips and numbers from the primary school between 10 and 11.30 on Sunday. I can't believe they are using chips on a 7 mile race.

Looking forward to Sunday then I'm taking a few days off running to attend a wedding then back into training in preperation for the GSR.
  • Options
    Hi Cameron Lovely route with the brae from h*ll at the end. Out along the coastal path to Dalgety Bay up a rather trying wee hill and back along a higher path looking down on the sea. I'm looking forward to it. I'll have the obligatory green ribbon on and will look out for you.
  • Options
    I'll have on my Dundee Road Runners vest, probably depending on the weather. I'll need to consider this green ribbons idea for the GSR.
  • Options
    What colour does Dundee run in ? I'm rubbish at vest recognition.
  • Options
    The top half is white and the bottom half is blue split on the diagonal with Dundee Road Runners printed on the back - I hope that makes sense. I'll probably wear that for the GSR but thinking about getting the Beano vest from foska.co.uk and wearing that.
  • Options
    That makes sense, I'll see you storming off as I start at my usual 9 mim mile pace.
    The Beano vest is brilliant. I'm tempted my self.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Just over 5 weeks to go and I've got shingles.I'm going to have a break for 5 days....see how I feel...errr...Anyone with experience ? Any advice?
  • Options
    First post on this thread thanks to you ATM(got your link from scottish runners one). 5 days might not be enough - shingles can hang around a while!! I've no immunity to chickenpox(and shingles related to it so wear a big red cross on your back at GSR). Had chickenpox 4 times and last batch 4 years ago which is kinda weird considering what age I am. Got very down but seemingly this is a side affect that can also happen with shingles - I still went out running though covered in calomine lotion. Hope you feel better soon.
    ps Cameron foska website very cool.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Karen.I'll see how it goes.Certainly feel ghastly right now...and covered in calamine lotion for the first time in decades.

Bad luck with the chickenpox thing.I know that's no fun when you're an adult, never mind repeated doses.

Never mind.Surely we'll be fine for the GSR.So,look out your green ribbobs.

@ Cameron. Go on, the vests are great!
  • Options
    Hi All

ATM - sorry to hear about your shingles -I had it a few years back. The good news is that if you have the symptoms it is on the mend.
    Ace A1 tip. Instead of calamine lotion get a bottle of 'Colloidal flex' from the chemist. it is a sort of weak rubbery solution that you paint on the itchy bit and it keeps the air out which stops the itch - not as messy as the calamine lotion.

Looking forward to GSR and will be at Helensburgh too a week on Sunday. Any green ribbons for there??
  • Options
    Nope to Helensburgh SFC but my green ribbon does 6 mile race tomorrow in Musselburgh, Donkeybrae race in Aberdour on Sun, Granton 10k week after, and Haddington half and Forth Bridges 10k w/e after that.
    Any green ribbons to spot at any of them ?
  • Options
    I got told to use apple cider vinegar or hot chilli pepper as well ATM - didn't know what I was supposed to do with them or mix them so didn't - sounds like recipe for explosion to me!! Take it I should go buy a green ribbon - these green ribbon makers will be making a mint. Guy I did Edinburgh Marathon with last year made me walk to coffee shop to get his pic taken with folk with green ribbons last year but I had no idea why - penny drops finally. He didn't run after that race - you green ribboners must have put him off.
    Is there any point in wearing it to Sherrifmuir race 19th Aug or am I on my tod with the sheep?? Got race number sent 2 days after I posted application off.
  • Options
    Hi again everyone, back for another GSR! Well, my second! Thought I was going to be abroad so only just entered...and only started training. 5 weeks training is pretty pathetic but nothing I can do, little chance now of beating that 1:58 last year!
  • Options
    Just checked website and my name is on the Who's Entered list. Looking forward to it now hoping to get closer to 2hr barrier maybe even below it.
  • Options
    StephenT, you have every chance of bettering last years time. Go for it. :)

Karen, we wore green ribbons for the Edinburgh Marathon. A few of us met up afterwards and it was fun. For most of the guys, I just got a fleeting glimpse of them as they ran past me in the opposite direction and a quick 'hi' shout!! :)
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    I'm nervous about the site.I like to pore over the maps etc for weeks..
    I entered ages ago but don't appear on the online list. I have an e-mail confirming my place but I'm just about to go abroad to work and get back late on 1 September...too late to do anything if the Race Pack doesn't arrive. * Neurotic? moi? * Anyone else not on the Who's Entered?
  • Options
    I entered my wife last week and her name was on the 'whose entered' a couple of days later.....
    ATM just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you! :)
  • Options
    Hey I entered the 10k race a few months ago but now want to change to the half marathon, do you think they will let me do this? I've emailed them twice but had no response at all!
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Found it! Wrong spelling. My fault, probably.Poor typist..

• Options
    Soph my pal kept passing me too!! He met up with folk at the start with green ribbons. Thot his 70's psycadelic t-shirt was part of the get-up as well but seemingly not(just bad taste).
    ATM how can you spell ATM wrong - only 3 letters and ure automated, that should make it easier!!
    I'm going for bit of indoor rock climbing in Glasgow tomorrow - heard it's a great work out. Did it last year. Boy it sure hurts the old arms and thighs.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Don't know, Karen.Don't know...
  • Options
    I'll be wearing my green ribbon on the day, not that I spotted any at Edin Mara, but we can but look!

Stephen you'll be fine, even if you don't think you can get a PB, you'll still have a great run :-)
  • Options
    Hi there everyone - have just decided to do this again - was injured last year and it has only just gone away but I think I'll be ok. Don't think I'll be catching up with any od you lot though but might see you at the begining if I can find my ribbons.
  • Options
    ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Hellooooooo, siouxie! Glad to hear your injury's gone,at last.Have you been able to run at all? My training plan's gone down the tubes but I've found my ribbons. *I'm passing the time plotting my runs on openrunner and mapmyrun/googlearth and examining graphs of my laughably-slow ' speed' sessions .* It'll be good fun , whatever time we manage, and it can't possibly be wetter than last year.
  • Options
    sorry to hear you've not been well ATM but your still sounding positive about the race which is great.
    Live near Helensburgh so i think a wee train journey on Sunday is called for to shout you guys on what times the start ?
  • Options
    Hi LF!
    Helensburgh starts at 9.30, so it will be an early train. But always glad of some support! :)
  • Options
    Gillian, never saw you at the Donkey Brae on Sunday but saw your name on the results. I finished in 49.54 which I was quite pleased with, legs still hurt a little as I went a little too hard and quick at the start.

Lovely day and very scenic - no water or mile markers between 2 and 5 miles made things a little tough.

Regarding the green ribbon thing - do you just wear one and if you see another one assume that person is on this thread and the speak to them or is there a specifc meeting point. Silly question but thought I would ask.
  • Options
    Cameron, yes. You get some mad RW forum person run up to you and go 'Hi, are you a RW forum person, I'm Soph, pleased to meet you!'... :)
    And sometimes there are specific meets.
  • Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    and it can't possibly be wetter than last year

Does anyone else remember 2002? That made last year seem positively summery!

I shall look out my green ribbon, and aim to be at the door of the City Chambers for a while before the last 2 loo visits before the start. :o)
  • Options
    Just got an email from the organisers offering half price entry if I spend over £50 at Run-4-it.

Not much encouragement to sign up early if they are going to start this sort of marketing incentive.