Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Ooh, I was sooo close to wearing those!

Funny thing is, after I had my lifestyle change my visits to Khan's wonderful Nepalese/Indian curry house became slightly less frequent, and after they hadn't seen me and my mate for a few weeks they gave us some freebies, presumably because they thought we'd been taking our custom elsewhere. Still, with all due respects to the lovely staff and management, if they try to buy me off this time with cheap sherry I might have words. image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    Question for Hen: Have you ever worn a Trisuit and, if so, did you wear a sports bra underneath? If not, did you wear one under the swimsuit? I can't see how the swim/bike gear will do for running...* Yes, I know I should be more worried about my stroke etc....*
  • B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭

I'll scan and email the RW article to you if you wish Phil.

Florence looks quite tempting AH.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    x-post... *lol* AH. Don't be shy, Italians love orange!

Rubble - I thought I'd be patient and wait till it's on the shelves, but since you've so kindly offered, that would be much appreciated.
  • ATM - yes I did eventually buy a tri suit and def wear a bra underneath.  But I did loads in just a crop top and cycling shorts which I wore under my wetsuit for the swim. Going bra-less is not an option for this hen.

If I was just wearing a swim suit for the swim I'd still put a  bra underneath so that i'd be ready to leap straight onto the bike or stop and put cycling shorts on and leap onto the bike.  Only prob with the second option is that trying to put on anything dry when you're wet after the swim is a nightmare and, if to be avoided if you don't want to end up like I did in my first tri in a tangle after the swim trying to put my head through arm holes of a running top and getting caught up in the 'built in bra' bit.  I have also swum in a pool swim wearing cycling shorts - you have to try it out first to make sure the shorts don't fill with water and fall off when you push off from the end of the pool though.

So my top advice is to wear the same thing throughout so that all you have to bother about is changing shoes and putting on your number belt (a natty little device which you clip your number to so you don't have to worry about safety pins ever again) and helmet.  You may start the bike wet, but you won't notice it at all.

My other top advice is to put talcum powder in whatever shoes you wear after the swim so they go on more easily. And invest in some stretchy tri lock laces so you don't have to do your laces up.  There are lots of other little bits and pieces like this... but it's three years now since I did one.  There may be some natty new gizmos and toys.

Off for a swim with J.  I'll just splash about a bit in the shallow end and splash I think.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Thanks, Hen. I'll adopt the KISS principle ..maybe to the extent of buying another trisuit. I can imagine the whole' get dressed while wet' fiasco..Wish I'd kept the Aldi thingy.

I've got a Tri-belt . I bought it before the marathon to hold gels but had no idea what the ' laces' were for. You just tie your number onto it? Can't see any clips....

What about the Amsterdam Marathon? Rowan's doing it , as far as I remember. It's got to be flat...* Although Florence looks loooovely...*

• Hmmm - I guess the toggle lacey things are for a number.  I can't remember - maybe the numbers came with holes in or perhaps we made holes in them so that whatever attachment mechanism the belt had worked - can't find mine so can't see how you attached the number.

I'm pretty much commited to Florence.  The great thing is the date - end of Nov so I won't need to even think about training for it until September.  If I did any of the Oct ones I'd have to start in a few weeks and, frankly, I want a break from the tyranny of weekly LSRs.  You know how it is... AND loads of people from my club are going, it's organised by the guy who I get sports massage off who also coaches at the club.  So all in all that's my christmas and bday presents sorted for a while!  then I'll have a break from marathons for a while - probably won't do a spring one. But then you never know....

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    What!!! You'll be at Paris, next year!!! I'm counting on you to coach ME to a sub-4 in 2009.
  • Great article Phil! I was tickled pink to see you in there opposite my club friend Helen - so proud of you both, incredible stories! image

Found a new house to move to tonight - applying for it tomorrow so fingers crossed - anyway it's literally about 2 mins walk from the local pool so no excuse not to get this swimming stuff underway... then will keep just talking about getting a bike until one magically lands on my lap I guess image

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Tutu - cheers! Thanks to Rubble I've got a copy of the article although I'll have to wait till I get the mag to see your mate. Interesting how the article covers the gist of the telephone interview I had, although some of the 'quotes' are slightly imaginative. And I'm sure they've airbrushed out a wine glass that was sitting on the pavement outside the curry house!

Re: tri paraphernalia...
    - I've got no idea what the toggle lacey things are for either. And my belt tends to slip round when I'm running (and flap about all over the shop on the bike)
    - Not being a bra wearer I don't envy you ladies and your clothing logistical problems. In a tri (duathlon) suit it's awkward enough having the final pre-race wee. image
  • Ooh Phil- hadn't thought of that sort of thing!  It's normally so easy for you boys. Now you know what it's like image.
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Look what another RW threader has made! Running Calculator   *He's put the application online * It's fab!

Thanks, Ed, for showing us this and letting us use it.image

• hmm, doesn't work for me. what am i doing wrong? i click on 'download' and get a weird error message which doesn't mean much to me.....
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭
    It's still works for me, Tutu. * I'll send it by email...*
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

Wow! It's a fabulous day , up here and ..suddenly...the whole world's in blossom.  I went out early this morning and the place is covered in wild irises. Everything seems to have sprouted, overnight. Or i've been in a daze...Anyway, back to early morning runs with a vengance. * Read' Run/walk/look around* 2 new-born foals to marvel at. Wish I had legs like that....

Any luck, Tutu?

• ATM - am quite envious of you being able to run.   However, it's a good thing that I'm so keen to get back out there.  I'm just going to be very cautious after two maras - I want to be in top form and revved up for Florence in November.

I've only walked this week and will cycle and swim next week, then ease back gently the week after that with some easy short runs with no Garmin.

Going to a big Indian-themed party tonight however, so perhaps there'll be dancing image.

• and lots of Curry or lots of tomahawks?
  • Didn't get your email ATM! And the link still doesn't work for me. Don't worry about it though, I've got some other links to running calculator type things saved for when I need them.

Went on a Chi-Running workshop yesterday with 2 of only 4 instructors in the country. I'm definitely sold on the idea, it makes so much sense. The hard thing is going to be practising and actually doing it - it's so hard!! A lot of things to think about and basically going to have to change my running style entirely. But it makes so much sense, and when done right one should be able to speed up with the slightest of efforts, stay injury free (so everyone says!) and develop fantastic core strength. Also really like the idea of being able to wear flats if and when I can get the technique down properly.

Practice practice practice hey!! Anyone here do / know much about Chi-Running?  

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Feel really stiff today after a 20 mile x-country mountain bike ride over really hilly and muddy terrain. Really enjoyed it though.

Tutu, I really lke the idea of Chi-running, but know very little about it. I would like to find out more, perhaps when i'm running again. How long did they say it would take for you to change your style?
  • Tutu Much,
    I was introduced to Chi-Running a year ago and have been trying to apply most of its concepts. Yes it implies changing the way you run, which -in a way- does not sound natural. But as far as I'm concerned it is about correcting my posture (feet aligned, toes down, pick up heels etc...). It requires a lot of focus whilst running. but yes it all makes sense.

Having said that, I have incurred so many injuries in the past year, that I am not set proof of the "injury-free" claim. It is possibly due to my increased mileage and coincidental really!?

Well worth a look at: http://www.chirunning.com/shop/home.php

My friend who introduced me to it is a qualified instructor and has brought me brilliant advice. Like many sports/things, this is life-long learning curve.

There is a permanent and well-documented thread on Fetch: http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=8340&page=1
  • I've just come back from an 18 mile run x-country, all over the hills at the back of Folkestone. Took me 4 hrs but I managed to use my new technique of running, I'm planning on becoming an instructor of this method and starting courses, I'll be calling it Shite-Running. I think it'll take off because it's easy to perfect image

On a down side though, it's only 5 days till the LAMM image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    image It's only 5 days to J3ff's LAMM!
  • Hi everyone!

Phil, well done, not got to that page in the mag so hadn't realised!

All fine with me, starting to get back into training, 10 miles yesterday. Slight shock to the system suddenly doing decent distances again and worrying about pace, distance etc! But I seem to have found some of the speed from the last lot of training has stayed in my legs, as my 'comfortable' pace is faster than it was before, at just under 8 mins a mile. Rather pleased!

Kris is doing well, she's been feeling the baby move around the last couple of weeks. We find out in a few weeks if they are a boy or a girl. Exciting! image

Good lucks and well dones to everyone for runs and races, you've been busy!

• So J3ff - you hard core LAMMers don't do wussy tapering or anything, then?

Hi Angelique!

• Salut Poule astucieuse!
    I am still thinking about running Florence...Mmm. Hope you're well!?

I have not run for nearly 2 weeks (house move + cold+half term with children at home!! Grrrrr). No training for Midsummer Munro so far, oh well!!!

This is such an enduring thread!

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

oooo Some runners got their diplomas and CDs in the post , yesterday and today.... image

Not me, though image

• B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭

Went out on my first bike ride yesterday.  I left it a bit late as I had my tea and then took the dog out so it was 6:30 and raining before I got on the road.  Wow! It was a bit quicker than my 15 year old hybrid bike.  Most of the time I was treying to slow down so I didn't go into the back of cars or skid on the wet road.  I think I now have my 1 day a week XTraining sorted.

I havn't got my CD through yet ATM, probably those earlier in the alphabet who've got 'em.

• Artful: I'm of the opinion that for this race, the second hardest I've ever done, no amount of training, tapering, fasting or bionic leg battery changes, will help me complete it. I am resigned to the fact that I will be finishing on just willpower and prayers to Nooroafen the Norse God of ultra marathons and pain relief.

The good news is that metcheck.com has just revised the forecast for this weekend from rainy to sunny image
  • I've not received anything in the post yet...

Went for a fartlek in the rain last night, really nice!

Good luck J3ff!