Paris Marathon 2008

Comments

• B RubbleB Rubble ✭✭✭

Sorry ATM, only jealous 'cause it's better than i would do.  Daz is obviously scared of your challenge.

Hi MM, how goes it?

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Just realised that my arithmetic is worse than my crawl. I only swam about 15 metres.The pool is only 25! I guess an Ironman is off until 2010 * C'mon, Daz. Rise to the bait...*

Can you swim , MM? Got a bike?

• I can swim image If the pool is 3m deep I can swim 3m, 5m deep, I can swim 5m, it's easy image

Good to see you back MM image
  • J3ff are you going to tell us all about LAMM?  Or are you on to the MidMon now?

You'll never guess what Tutu and I have been discussing...  Bonkers, really.....

• ATM - meant to say it sounds like you're going great guns with the swimming!  If you're not a keen swimmer I think front crawl is the most unintuitive stroke to master.  Except butterfly perhaps.
  • I think I'd find front crawl OK were it not for the whole 'needing to breathe' business! image
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

I agree, Barry but I just know I'm never going to crack photosynthesising. So breathing it is... image

OK, Hen and Tutu...what are you up to? Lanzarote 2009? The Mont Blanc Ultra? Not the Tour de France !!!

Tonight, I am mostly washing my bike and regretting buying a tri suit. Another threader put it well as having ' all the gear but no idea'. Hope it's sunny, tomorrow.

• I think I need help. I have spent the last 24 hours quite seriously considering entering the London to Brighton 56 next October... aaarghhh! image Have always thought if I did an Ultra I'd like it to be a BIG one, not just a few extra miles on top of the regular 26.... but 30 miles more than 26 is really stupid isn't it?!

Someone talk sense into me! image

• tutu - start local and do the Round Rotherham in December.  It's (only) 50 miles and worryingly after my friends mentioned it I haven't ruled it out yet.

I'm just back from swimming.  I'm going twice a week at the moment and I'm finding that I'm getting better everytime I go which is brill.  I think I might have got the hang of breathing and the stamina is starting to build up.  It seems more than anything else to be a case of practice, practice, practice.

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

image Well...I had a great time at the Try-a-Tri. Totally weird sensation ...climbing out of a swimming pool and running, barefoot, into the adjoining playing fields..That was the hardest bit, really. No ' jelly legs' after the bike...althought the ride was only 3 k...and part of the run was on a lovely running track.

We were lucky with the weather...dry and cool..., the race officials were extremely nice, lovely marshalls, nice folk from St. Andrew's Ambulance and a great T-shirt. I'll definitely do more....but have a long way to go before even a Sprint is comfortable. Mastering the crawl is a must. As is getting my socks and running shoes on a bit faster..

Tutu , you're bonkers. But that's got to be in your favour....image

• TM, go for it, go for it!! image There's a bit of navigation involved in that one I think. I'd be nervous of having to make decisions after several hours running, my brain tends to go a bit mushy!

I tried a (sort of) brick (bike-run) yesterday. I'd cycled to work, did a 6 mile route in, and 11 mile route home, whizzed in through the door, straight into running kit and back out, just ran a mile but was just to see how my legs would find it. Felt quite odd. My endurance on the bike is pretty low, so had a bit of tiredness in my legs, but also with the different movement feels a bit 'back to front'... So, for now, a revised version of my Paris training with added cycling, swimming, stretching, may even try the odd bit of yoga... and more rest after all that!

Barry and ATM, sounds like swimming is coming along, think you're right, just have to keep at it. 

Scan on Monday to find out if 'the bump' is a lady or a lord... image Will let you all know!

BTW, can *anyone* do the butterfly?! It looks like sooo much effort! 

• Think I've come to my senses a little - yep the navigation puts me off quite a lot Barry, I am shockingly bad at that sort of thing and have awful general sense of direction..

Well done with the Try-a-tri ATM, sounds quite an experience!

Is Nice IM tomorrow? Think it is.... craaaazy crazy people...

Barry K - cool about swimming and would consider Rotherham but not this year, want at least 12 months to mentally as well as physically prepare myself! 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Ok. I confess to lurking on another thread....

BUT

He did it!!!  Dark Vadar has finished his Ironman at Nice. image 

*Amazing! Well done, you!*

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

DV(1971): Sw =  01:59:00 | t1 =  09:55:00 | Bi  =  07:55:50 | t2 =  10:04:00 | Ru =  05:35:33 | Overall =  15:50:22

Off to toast him in neat Darjeeling...

• Popping in to say a proper well done to ATM for completing her first tri. I've just read back on the other thread and realise that some of the posts on there are not exactly encouraging. If any of them are mine then humble apologies. Every achievement should be congratulated not sniggered at.

So, well done ATM. First one done and dusted. What's next? image

And isn't DV a star. A perfectly judged race by the look of it. Bobo and I were both screaming at the laptop to upload the latest results as it got closer to cut off. Hope he's happy, he should be!

Leaves coffee and croisants on the thread as a peace offering!
  • ATMATM ✭✭✭

lol..Who could resist croissants? Thanks. * Next, I'm gonna learn the crawl....or drown in the attempt. *  Are you doing Switzerland next year, Pit-Stop? How was your swimming when you started down the Tri road?

Yes, what about Darth! Or IronDV as I shall think of him , now...Running a marathon after that swim and that bike? The mind boggles. * AH, I suspect you're up for this at some point in the future....Non, ma poule? *

Fabulous day up here. Must get the bike out.

• Hi Angelique, results out for the midsummer munro image I took 50 mins longer than a normal half !!! 2.39.57 What an excellent race !!
  • ATM.... my crawl was pretty rubbish back in April last year when I started.  I could do a couple of lengths (slowly) and then hang on to the side to get my breath back!  And my bike strength was non-existant!  Even the slightest slope used to see me dropping off the back of the pack (although I would catch up on the downhills as I've got no fear)!  LOL  Anyway, from that to being 2 weeks away from doing a half Ironman (Cowman 6 July Milton Keynes) and very very seriously considering joining the Pirate bandwagon in Switzerland next year.  I must be mad....

'tis gorgeous here in London too, but I'm stuck in the office.

• Good news, 20 week scan all went smoothly. We're having a girl! image

TM, I may be wrong but I imagine a few of the ultras involve a little navigating, if not map-reading... They're mostly quite a small entry and not a big budget for signage, barriers, marshalls, checkpoints... More a case of get to the canal, they point you the right direction, and you keep going in a straight line! At least, that's the sort I want. Can imagine I'd throw the toys out of the pram if I'd run 30 or 40 miles and found myself in a field with no idea where I was or which way to go!

Well done ATM and DV! 

• ATMATM ✭✭✭
    It's a Paula! image 
  • Oh, congrats Barry, exciting stuff!

Wow, DV did great... which relatively little training, right?!

Thanks for your comments too, Pit Stop Crew. Keep hearing tales of total non-swimmers/non-cyclists managing tris in very little time after starting to train.. I like to imagine it's the same mentality as running a marathon that simply if you want it enough you can do it. 

Hope I'm right, that's what I plan to do! This time next week (counting down the days) I will be living 1 min from the pool so going to throw myself into swimming big time and get that crawl nailed! I've even had 2 dreams recently that I could do it.......!

• ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    Congratulations again Barry, and well done DV, i'm in awe of anyone who can complete an IM. I wanted to do the London to Brighton ultra, but still not running properly so maybe 2009. 1st swimming lesson tomorrow, I will get over my fear of water.

• I read once that Tri's are like running races. A sprint is like a 5 or maybe a 10k, an Olympic like a half mara and an IRONMAN like an ultra. Nobody in running jumps straight to ultras (well you may get the odd nutter who might). But in time you can conquor each distance (that's my plan and I'm sticking to it)! And as you say if you want to do anything you will!

Anyway I'm gate crashing a well established thread. Congrats Barry, lovely news!

Waves to all and relurks.... and toddles back into the tri threads! image
  • Congrats Barry M.
  • Hi everyone..  I'm home, and thanks so much for your support and good wishes.   I have posted my story on the tri forum under the race report thread, so go and have a read if you want to know what happened.  It is in three parts, so you may need to scroll back.

It was an amazing day and I have come away totally unscathed, apart from a massive blister.  No knee or muscle problems.  I don't even ache..!

It was sooooooooo hot..  apparently temps got to 32 in the shade and 41 in the open sun.  Not ideal conditions for such an event.  

My times were modest, but the best I could do under the circumstances.  I really am not very good at swimming and the bike was gruelling in the heat.  I drank 6.5 litres of fluid on the bike and never went to the toilet.  That is a vast quantity...!   I took the run too slowly really but I was totally focussed on finishing and it was never about time.  I just needed to get over the line.  So.. a little close for comfort, but it was enough.

I am so absolutely chuffed to bits with myself...  I have had so many problems in the last few months that have interrupted training and for many weeks I have done no training at all.  So.. it was a big achievement for me.

Thanks to you all.   See you in Paris in 09..!    image

• Well done DV.  Do you think you'll be heading to Zurich next year?
  • Yes..  I am very likely to join the pirates in Zurich...  image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

Just read your Report, IronDV image  Well done! Well done! * I think we're  allowed to beam , proudly, from this thread *

Enjoy a well-deserved rest and take care of your blister.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    DV, just read your report. Finding time to take your daughter to school during an IM. What a star!! *lol* image Brilliant effort. Your joy at finishing comes over really well.

Inspirational stuff. Where's me swimming cap? image