Dogs

I am a recreational runner & run mostly on footpaths. A few weeks ago, I met a woman walking 3 dogs. One of the dogs ran after me, barking and finally tripped me up. The woman did not call it off and said nothing to me.
A couple of weeks later, on another run, the same dog attempted to bite me. Again, the owner did nothing.
This morning I met the same woman and her dogs. All three dog ran towards me barking. I stopped, tried to call the dogs off. The dogs continued barking & the black dog (a different one this time) tried to bite my legs. The woman again did nothing. I suggested to her that she should control her dogs. She said "You should use the pavements & roads. We are not allowed to use the roads. I have no sympathy for you." She then picked up the black dog and walked off.
What should I do?

Comments

• she is utterly in the wrong - it is her duty within the law to keep her animals under control

report it to the police and tell her you've done it

photograph her and the dogs on your mobile phone and make sure she sees you do it

grrrrr (sorry, that was me, not the dog)

this makes me so angry
  • Sorry, she's wrong. To paraphase the Dangerous Dogs act:

If a dog is dangerously out of control in a public place, then the human in charge of the animal is guilty of an offence (if the animal injures a person it's an aggravated offence).

• Absolutely report her to the police. that'll wipe the smirk off her face and you can tell her you have no sympathy for her!
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Also to paraphrase the Dangerous Dogs Act, a dog does not need to bite or attack you to put the owner in breach of the law. It needs only to cause reasonable apprehension.

Report it to the police.

You don't say how big the dogs are, but if they try to bite you surely you're entitled to try to kick them, in self-defence.
  • Agree with all of the above comments - Definitely report her to the police, photograph her and the dogs next time you see her and tell her why.

I'm a dog owner and know my dog is only likely to be friendly. However, as a responsible owner I know it is my duty to keep her under control and not let her approach runners, children or anyone else who may not be entirely happy about being greeted by an excited mutt.

This woman has no more right to use the footpath than you and she most certainly should keep her dogs under control - especially since they are being more agressive than friendly.

• I agree with all of the above - but don't kick the dog. Dogs are pack animals and you are out numbered! It might be temping to kick the stupid woman though.
  • what an a$$hole!

It makes my blood boil.
  • Report it to the Police. Do it now.

If you've been bitten you should seek medical attention. Dog's saliva can carry some fairly nasty infectons.

Despite what Muttley says, and with the greatest respect to him, I'd counsel against retaliating, unless the dog really is launching a full scale attack. If its a large dog you might simply make matters worse - and it would certainly inflame things with the owner.

Lots of other threads on this subject, with pleanty of advice, ranging from eminantly sensible - to insanely criminal. I'll leave you to work out which is which.

This is a perenial problem - which inflames passions on both sides.

You MUST report this though....
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Yes it's definitely a case of reporting it to the police - though if it was me I'd just take my dog out with me and let it sort it out for me.
  • take a gun with you next time...shoot the dogs...see what she has to say after that!!! LOL.....

im joking of course!
  • Know the feeling. I run with my dog (on a lead) always seem to have these irrisponsible other owners who think little bruno is so loveable and 'isn't it funny when he chases the runner and her dog' or 'he only wants to be friends, he won't hurt you' as its chewing at your ankles.

Definately report it. Get photos on your phone as everyone else advised so she can't deny it. Try not to get into a verbal battle with her so if police call she can't say you called her a useless T**T for not keeping the dog under control. It's not on! How long before it does you or someone else some really serious damage. My daughter ended up with 10 mictostiches in her face from a dog that was supposed to be a 'freindly dog' I love my dog, but I don't inflict her on others.

Good luck.
  • HAd a run spoilt on Wednesday by some lads with terriers trying chase the ducks on the pond. HAd a run in with them before (pardon the pun). One deliberately lets the dog chase mine so I let her off the lead last wednesday. She chased the dog (shes a lurcher cross colie and very fast) He called me a useless T**T and told me I should keep my dog under control. I just laughed, but it does spoil your run. Public footpaths and bridleways are meant for all to use, not just walkers, dog owners, cyclists etc. You can point tat out to her next time!
  • MedalsMedals ✭✭✭
    I agree with all of the above. Thing is, if you do report it, you could stop someone else getting attacked. The stupid bint needs her responsibilities outlining to her.

• I have just been in Portugal and most people have packs of dogs stationed outside their drives to protect their property. I learned from a local that when faced with dogs crouch down and pretend to pick up a stone. I am absolutely terrified of dogs but it works!!!! They all do about turns and disappear up their drives and whimper pathetically as you continue to jog by. The more persistent ones you do actually have to throw a stone at (not try to hit just in their general direction.)

This only works because there are so many out of control dogs that people have to defend themselves more aggressively than is (for some palates)pleasant (ie stone throwing or pretending to) The dogs have now learned that a human with a stone is not nice and would rather be further away from you!

I was wondering what else might work. What will scare a dog more than it scares you? High pitched noise? Rape alarm? Arms out run towards them?

The aim of the game is to:
    NOT get bitten/trip upped
    NOT damage the dog
    NOT disrupt your run with a nasty altercation with owner.

Any dog psychology experts out there?

• I had something similar to me happen a while ago. I was bitten on the bun by a Bull Mastiff - quite funny now,looking back. But at the time - scared me silly. I myself have a dog,so am not a dog -hater!!
    The dog in question was off the lead and I slowed down to a walk as I approached it - just in case it was a bit skittish. It came up to me ,tried to nibble my fingers and then went behind me a bit my bum!! Left a MASSIVE bruise!! I told the young lads that were with it,their fortune...
    When I got home I reported it to the police only to be told that as it hadn`t drawn blood,there was nothing they could do!!
    How mad was I after being told that!!
  • Hi I'm a PCSO work with the police in the community. Yes you should report this matter to the police, but they may not have the time to deal with it, however this is exactly the kind of thing that PCSO's do. we can give a fixed penalty fine to this women and a proper warning. Call your local station, say what it's regarding and ask to speak to your local PCSO (Police community support officer). Best of luck - you do NOT need to put up with this. Email me if you don't get any joy.
  • If she picked the dog up I'm guessing they were quite small terrier type dogs? I bloody hate them. I run by the river a lot and there are always dogs around but 99.99% of them are well behaved. Our neighbor though has a skinny little ratdog that yaps and tries to nip ankles. They used to leave it loose to roam the neighborhood and they've had loads of complaints but rather than fence in thier yard they now keep it tied up all the time which isn't exactly fair on teh dog either.

As usual it's all about teh owners I'm afraid...
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    Just to pick up on FR's point ... I do think it's legitimate to take a swipe at a dog that's trying to bite you or looks as if it is. Not with the aim of actually hurting it (chances of connecting with a kick or a stone etc are pretty minimal anyway) but firstly to deter it and secondly to attract the owner's attention.

I run mostly on towpaths and bridleways, so I encounter dogs and their owners pretty much on every outing. 99 per cent of such encounters result in nothing worse than being sniffed or tailwhipped. The last time dogs went for me, they were silly little yappy things, some kind of terrier. They were only ankle high, but still, if they've got jaws and teeth capable of killing rats they can do some damage to me as well. I didn't fancy having my achilles nipped, so I turned on them and ostentatiously aimed a couple of kicks. Whereupon the owner called them away. And slagged me off for good measure.

The alternative is to stand still and either let yourself get bitten or, if you're lucky, confuse the mutt. Or turn tail and run, which will only encourage it, of course.

As always, it's a tiny minority of morons that give everyone a bad name.
  • In some instances there is room for misunderstanding as well. Most dogs (mine included, I hope) are well enough behaved and trained that they are fine off leash on the likes of towpaths.

However many of teh pahs are narrow and if you are running and the dog is having a good sniff in teh undergrowth you might catch them by surprise, causing them to jump or run. Even if you are just running past them they will inevitibly sniff in your direction and turn to look at you.

Trouble is that some people who have an issue with dogs see any movement by a dog as a potential threat even when it's nothing (and I'm not suggesting that thats what happened in the OPs case). It's a shared space and mutual consideration shouldn't be too much to ask and might cause a lot less high blood pressure.
  • Struthie, when a dog runs at you run straight at it and shout it at it as loud and agrilly as possible, the deeper you shout the better aswell. However if that fails just kick it, a gentle kick should do the job (proportional to the dogs size).
  • Dogs don't like loud noises. Best thing (but do you really wanna carry it is a tin of red bull (having drank or disposed of the contents. Put some gravel in and seal Cling flim and a few layers of cellotape. Dog goes for you or runs at you aim the can near to them (but not at them) throw and shout loudkly NO, usually (and its working with my dog) they don't like it and back off. My dog has a problem with jumping at visitors. Doesn't bite just tries to lick (but if you are a meter reader or delivery person not good). She is fab off the lead doesn't bother with anyone as hse more interested in peeing up every nettle. But unfortunatly her one bad habit is jumping. She's a rescue dog and at one time was very timid and terrified of rolled newspapers and slippers. She had the S**t beaten out of her at one stage so trying to kick her not an option. She's terrified. I am not saying don't kick out at an ankle biter but it might not work with a larger dog. I dont run with her off the lead unless on the beach, or near the pond where I can see both paths and get her on the lead before anyone approaches as I know from running and cycling I am nervous of other dogs especially big ones. Was bitten by a German shepherd in my teens, still got the scars on my back.

I don't blame the dogs its owners I blame. If I listed the amount of times I have had run ins with irrisponsible owners whilst cycling, horse riding and running I could write a book .

• Ouch Sticky had a run in with one of those on Christmas day, Nearly lost my dog. She a good judge of character and started to back off when she saw it, trying to drag me with her, I let her off the lead when it started to run towards us, full hackels up, the dog chased her, whilst owner calling it and telling me its usually very freindly towards other dogs. Luckily for me a woman on the top path of the dene where I was running saw what went on and caught her for me. I was beside myself. Told the owner to keep hold of his Fecking dog so I could run after mine. Shouted and called, then I saw the woman waving and calling and saw Loopy Lu with her. I had visions of having to trawl the streets in the car whilst rest of family having Xmas lunch. She had a boxer with her and told me she had the same problem 2-3 days earlier with the same dog. Wish I'd got around to reporting it. But by the time I finished my run and got ready - christmas day and all that was a few days later before I remembered.
  • Thanks for all the good advice. Have since heard from others in the village that her dogs have tried to bite other people and dogs. I will report her once I know her name & in the mean-time carry my phone with me.
  • Nicola, maybe you could run with a whistle and blow it very loudly every time the woman and her dogs went past???
  • In my experience its always the small dogs that go for you. Ive been attacked several times, but usually only by the ankle snappers, I dont blame them, I blame the stupid owners. Which begs the question, what is so wrong with dogs on leads?
    If they were wearing leads then they couldnt pretend not to see them taking a dump in the middle of the childrens playground either.
  • What about the stupid owners who have those extendable leads,and stand at one side of the path with the dog at the other, lead stretched across the path,and then they look at you blankly,or hurl abuse at you when you try to negotiate them.moron's!!!

I don't trust dogs at all and try to avoid them if possible,but if you are chased by one and feel threatened / in danger of being bitten, then kick out at them.....It has worked for me.... and if the owner is irresponsible enough to be in this situation then tough they run the risk......and bring it on themselves.... its the dog i feel sorry for.

• im off now!!! the dog owners also seem to think that the paths they use are for some reason "not for runners" and give you daggers as you run past,or people abusing you for cycling on cycle paths!!! just cause you startle them as you ride past!!

HELLOOOO its a cycle path!!!!

And don't get me started on the dog s**t how many times have you squelched through piles of it while running????

Sorry... that's better........ im off for a lie down in a dark room now to calm down!!!!!
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    "And don't get me started on the dog s**t how many times have you squelched through piles of it while running????"

Never.
  • Agree with most points - dogs should be under control. However on Fellrunnings point about infections - dogs' saliva contains a very high level of disinfectant and is actually much cleaner than human saliva (this is so they don't get ill when cleaning up their environment by eating undesired mess - read poo!).