London 2008

Comments

• CG - totally normal..... well, to everyone on this board anyway. who knows about the rest of the population :-)

I'm off for my LSR in a little while - a whopping 11 relaxing miles along the river and through Green Park and Hyde Park. have sigend up for the Southend half marathon on 10th June. anyone else from this board taking part??

• LSR done, 12 miles hilly trail, did ok though. Got a 4 mile race Tues, couple of odd 6--8 thingies in the week and if I'm feeling ok it'll be Tewkesbury half on Sun. That'll be a training run rather than a race for me though. Anyone else doing it?
  • Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi all, I have to say that I still have the marathon in my legs.It may be psycological but everything seems harder after the marathon.I have run 4 times(23 miles) this week and I've been struggling.
    Done 8.47miles@7.14m/m=1h.01m17s.I have a 10k race next week but i'm not holding out much hope of a PB. Smiffe,WOW!!
  • Rowan.... I feel exactly the same.

4 runs this week - 27 miles and also struggling. Just back from 9 miles in 1:20:01. Legs still feeling heavy and a fairly easy pace felt much harder than it should.

I was really enjoying my LSR pre-marathon, started looking forward to each one. Wierd I know!!

Now after just 9 miles at an easy pace I was glad to stop. Heeeelp

CG.... I don't see a problem. Sounds like you are taking it pretty easy by not using the tready at work for a quick few miles during the day ;o)
  • I had a lovely 30 mile pootle on my bike round some pretty villages near Knaresborough and Ripon. Went with a mate who's not long taken cycling up so very comfortable - felt quite strong on the hilly bits, which is surprising given I've not been on my bike much.
  • Ha Ha Ha, LOL if you did use treadmill for a quick few miles in day........
  • Rowan its not Wow really I'm silly seems if I tell my body its OK it believes me tee hee, so better behave itself better for Edinburgh than did at London. I think that half why I've recovered quickley didn't get time I wanted, didn't work my legs as hard as expected, so recovered quicker. You wait I've promised myself a clear week off after Edinburgh :)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all, some nice LSRs taking place, im yet to get there since FLM longest being 8.5m.

Anyway done a 4.25 recovery run as racing tomorrow, really want something near to 42:30 if i can. Really dont know how I will react to it, as felt really heavy legged out there today.

Take care - No none of us are mad, it all the others (but think i am a bit deranged at times.....)
  • LSR yesterday for me. 17.2 miles, all off-road :-)

First 6 and last 3 were at a sensible 9mm pace and felt really good. The middle 8 were through waist-high nettle patches, shoulder-high grass and head-high big white flowers, not to mention the enormous dried mud ruts and shrinkage cracks, stiles, gates and a very scary herd of cows LOL! I'm not scared of cows by any means, but some of these had very young calves and were being distinctly threatening and protective...Averaged more like 10:30 pace for those miles, simply because at times I simply couldn't run, I had to walk. Overall time 2:45, which is slow for 17 miles but good time on my feet and a good workout because of the terrain.

Had planned to run today, but I'm really tired. But I really want to go out and at least do a recovery run. I don't want a rest day! What to do? I may be addicted LOL!

10K on Tuesday, undecided as to whether it will be a PB attempt, a tempo run or just a fun run...
  • Rowan - Take it easy - you know you have the speed - let your legs recover in their own time. Only nutters like Smiffie & me who have entered for another mara this month need to be knocking out the LSR's & speed sessions before June.

Went out for 12m this morning ended up doing 16 but too quick (7:50's) otherwise the 18 which was in the back of my mind would have been in the bag.
  • Katie - Sorry left you off the nutters list, but as you are doing a double you probably count as being certifiable! ;o)
  • WR - you may joke but it has occured to me to jump on the treadmill! Just need to find a way to get rid of those pesky customers first.

Looks like everyones back in the saddle (and Andy is literally) even if some people are a ittle heavy legged so well done on doing those long runs.

Had a lovely run with no HRM, no Garmin, just me running through woods and clambering up and down banks of bluebells and not a soul around apart from the squirrels. Sounds similiar terrain to your run Katie. Probably about 14 miles in 2 hours so more than 40 miles this week including 3 speed sessions.
  • done mine too. felt better than yesterdays crappy run but ITB is still not right, started to feel tight from mile 10 so stretched every mile from then to make sure.

13miles- 1.44.54 8.04mm
    806, 808, 814, 814, 820, 820, 808, 807, 756, 800, 812, 758, 710 last mile not as good as looks as 2 traffic light stops to bring HR down

as for the bike training errrrrr not done it. legs are tired. and i'm even more tired. plus a serious case of cant be arsed. been sleeping a lot of today i need a kick up the arse to get out on this bike. oops.

50.55 miles run this week.
  • BTW Katie - Did you know you are in the GB Athletics rankings for your marathon time?

Website is here: http://www.athleticsdata.com/rankings/rankinglist.aspx?event=Mar&year=2007&agegroup=ALL&sex=W

Others on here may be on too. The qualifying times for women are 42 mins 10k, 90 mins half and 3:30 marathon. Sorry guys, I don't know the mens qualifying times but think they are probably pretty tough.
  • CG - ohhh I like that site I found me for 2006, though hubby was singley unimpressed!

Good luck tomorrow RFJ, I'm racing a 5 miler which will either end in tears or ...... ahhh well......

Katie that sounds a really nice run, good to do runs that aren't target focused, reminds us why we started running :)
  • Hi there all - just back from running the 3 Forts Marathon - should have been 27 miles up and down on the South Downs (claiming 3500 feet of climbing), but I took a wrong turn at one point early on and probably added another 3/4 miles in the process. Bit p***d off to say the least.

Was aiming for 4 hours to take into account the hills and the extra mile, but found it really tough going from 16 miles onwards and ended up finishing in 4.13 - still not too bad but means that there's a bit more work to do before I can feel confident about a sub 3.30 at London next year.

Feel as though I need a rest for the next week or so, but will be back on the hills soon as preparation for the Midsummer Munro at the end of June - up and down Box Hil 8 times - and am then looking at the New Forest Marathon in mid September. Anyone else planning on doing that? Doesn't look like PB potential as it's described as undulating, but it looks a good scenic course that should give a benchmark prior to next April.

Gymfreak - good to see you back.

Katie, Smiffie - congrats on making the rankings
  • Did my first LishSR today - 12.60m in 1:47:40 @ 8:32m/m around Richmond park. I felt really good. It's strange but I seem to have found another gear after FLM, it might just be a confidence thing.
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Went off early this morning for a 10 miler. Decided to try and keep the pace as close to 8mm as I could. Slowest mile was 8:16, quickest was 7:44, until the last one when I sped up a bit to do a 7:15. Total time 79.5 minutes, legs felt great, HR OK and all's well with the world.

I think I just hate 5 mile recovery runs. It takes me about 3-4 miles before I start to enjoy a run, unless I'm racing, and I hate keeping the HR down.

• P.S CT knew you would do a Long not slow run!
  • CT - thanks for adding me to the nutters list :-) I had my Dad telling me I was a wimp this evening though, because I'm not doing this http://www.brathaychallenge.com/

CG - GB ranked! How cool is that :-)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Watch out for washing baskets in disguise....... I didnt and it hurts, now have carpet burns on the knees.......... (no comments please ..... (I wish)).... and sore shoulder from the toilet door as I went down in a crumpled mass.

The washing basket did not survive the impact howevere as 14st of blubber sorted that out.......

No real damage done though, but wont race at Shinfild now (nothing lost as was entering on the day).

Now having a family day, so more benificial, will go for a run later to get the aches and pains out of the system.

Nutters - did one say that the Picnic or Munro was on......... Still thinking about the munro (half) but the expence is putting me off a bit.
  • RFJ, you daft sossij ... have done similar things many times. My favourite trick is tripping over things while carrying a basket of washing downstairs.

Have a good day anyway :o)

I did the Midsummer Munro a couple of years ago. It's my half-marathon PW - 3:27 - and my kids love the medal - but I wasn't quite recovered from a dose of mumps meningitis and for the last few miles every step made my head and neck hurt. I'd love to do it again on a year when I wasn't racing an ultra a few weeks later.
  • Smiffie - Us runners are so transparent!

Katie - You're welcome - Had a look at the Brathay Challenge, sounds great but unfortunately I am washing my hair on the 1st day so can't make it ;0). p.s. How many marathons has your dad run?

RFJ - Stick to running its far safer than domestic obstacle courses!
  • RFJ, weather would've beed carp for shinfield too!! Hope you heal quick!

You lot are all already back up there again.

I managed a grand total of 16 miles for the week with an LSR of 6 miles....get me!!!
  • AA I'm not back there yet. I ran the Shinfield 10k this morning. I had a terrible run and now feel really fed up. I thought I had recovered from the FLM, obviously not though as every step was a huge effort. I was 1 min down on my pb.
    I'm wondering if I'm making excuses for the bad run this morning, or have I just got to face up to the fact that I am pants at running 10k's. I'd love to run a sub 44. Shall I run another 10k next week and give myself another week to recover? I do 2x speed sessions p/w. Advice needed...please!! :(

RFJ - I did look out for you, but I see you didn't make it. Hope your run goes well later.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    All is well here, got out early doors this evening for 5.5m very achy and felt a few twinges but after a good warm up all seemed well.

Im just gutted as its another race that I have missed.

Off to Scotland in the morning till the end of the week.

Hope to get some quality runing in as have nothing much to do in the evenings. so a LSR, recovery and a speed session are in order for the 3 nights I am there.

Take care
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Got a bit grumpy this evening when it looked like my run was going to get squeezed out by other things. But I got to run, and it was definitely worth it. Just 5 miles at 75% MHR/70% WHR (so recovery effort) but I was flying along at 7:46 average pace. The weather was lovely, the sun was still in the sky and the air was warm. And apart from a slightly stiff left knee for the first couple of miles I felt great. FLM completely out of my system now I think.

Four 10k races booked for the next few months now, plus I might do a 5k or two as well. Looking forward to a race that is over in under half an hour!
  • Chocoholic - I'm pants at 10Ks too. I haven't even run sub 45 yet, and that's with a HM PB of 1:33 and going sub 3:30 for the mara twice! I just can't do them for some reason - get the pacing all wrong, fade badly at the end, lose the will to run...

I'm doing one tomorrow and another on Sunday, I really do need to crack 45 minutes because it's starting to get embarrassing LOL!
  • Wow - page 11 already. I've only just started recovering. Have been out 4 times since FLM, 1 my 1st club run. I'm going to their speed training session tonight. Did anyone order any official photos? I did, they've taken the money, but I've not received anything yet, which seems a pretty poor show!
  • Hi all

I'm slowly working my way back into it although done everything on the treadmill since FLM just to give the knees a bit of a break.

I've racked up 2x10k intervals and 1x5k intervals and 3xsteady runs since FLM, legs feel fine. Not massive miles but just staying sharp before first 10k race this Sunday. Gonna go for sub 40 again but not critical as will just be nice to race again and also need to take into account that i've indulged in other areas for the past couple of weeks - surfing, drinking, eating sh*t etc. Just nice to feel fit still!!!

AA - you going to Woodley 10k this Sunday?