London 2008

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - I think , no know, that I am just mad.... 6 hours is quite enough for now, but was strange how after hitting the wall, going through it and getting strength the other side was a bit weird and beyond......

Good stuff TW, DRK and CT

• 16.35m @ very low 9:35 pace + 52 secs of freefall time, average speed 119mph
  • RFJ - wld agree with you - you are mad, but also a bl**dy determined character!! Sounds as though you had some kind of spiritual experience as well.

Hadn't done any hill work for a while, so decided to do some hill reps this morning - 1.5 miles to the start point then 6 times down and up a 400m strectch of 1 in 5. I lacked a bit of energy in general - not sure whether it was a hangover from the run on Saturday, the effect of the clocks going forward or the excitement of watching Lorenzito no.2 in his U7s rugby tournament yesterday. A few tears all round as his team won three and drew one of their qualifying group games but missed out on a place in the final on try difference. Guess it's the equivalent of missing a PB by a second or so!!

• Geoff M -  Sounds like freefalling would be great therapy one day after FLM !

Rest day - but may do gentle swim .   

• Geoff - I remember many years ago doing a parachute jump (when they were still round and you had to roll on landing), the training was a real killer - you must be exceptionally fit!

I am sort of happy - did a slow 18 miles yesterday, with a few at what I was previously hoping would be MP,  and the calf was good and today I feel absolutely fine.  As before - it was my thighs that felt done in towards the end.  I tried to sit in a cold bath when I got home - but I thought I'd die, so it wasnt for very long.    Have done 1 x 18.5, 1 x 19.35, 1 x 21, 1 x 20.5, 1 x 22.7 and now 1 x 18.34, it all adds up to the 100 miles in the 5 long runs - which I think is what they advise means that you should be ok in a marathon?   So, I am definitly going to be there and have now started getting sponsors.  

3.30 is out of the question and I am still a bit worried and nervous - but thats no different to most people I think.

RFJ - you are bonkers image.  Hope that you are having a well deserved rest now! 

• Drk - You have to put some effort into being stable while in freefall, but on Monday I will be taking a well earned rest.

albee - When did you do your first jump course, much has changed, now all (RAPS) Ram Air Progression System courses are all on square parachutes and you only have to do a minimum of 6 hours ground training, you don't have to be exceptionally fit just in good health.

300 hrs and counting

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Albee, in answer to your question YES.......image you seem to be ok with those figures....

5.75m in 48:20 tonight at club, nice easy chatty run.....

• You want your 'ed testin' RFJimage
  • RFJ, 26.2 miles in 12 days is nothing to you now!!!image

3x1600 at 6;30 pace for me today. Not fun and hurt a bit but was short-lived!image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

What ed......! SOAC

AA, good set there, you certainly have some speed in those legs of yours. (More than any Fulham Player at any rate..... I see our teams meet on the 12th in Reading....)

• Geoff - it was 1983!!! Biggin Hill, trained - or rather exercised all day saturday, then climber into a little plane and jumped on Sunday, 3 people jumping per plane - I just remember doing lots of core stability exercises on the Saturday - which killed me, even though I was much (OK - really really) younger then! But its one of my best life experiences!

Did my 1st speed effort this am, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -5 min fast efforts with equivalent recovery periods, then back down, fastest time was 5.30mm pace at a 180bpm heart rate.  Calf held out - really concentrated on a good stretching session afterwards and put a support on it after my shower - for extra safety.  Got to say I feel better for having done that session.

• Gentle speed session today    at lunchtime 2 miles warm up on bike  8 x200m uphill    fast(ish!)    2 miles back to work on bike shower in 3 mins .. back at desk 5 working days to FLM  I have 3 days off next week :  Travelling to daughters place in Streatham next Friday , will register on Friday so have Saturday free . 
  • RFJ - I'll be there Reading v Fulham the day before - gives me something to do - why would I want to be sitting around resting - not got much on the next day!!image

Another rest day for me - got a problem in my arch of my foot after every run at the mo so icing it and resting every other day..

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

I would say hope you have a good day on the sat... but we need to win away... (oh is that a pink elephant flying over the horizion.....)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Club run of about 9m tonight nice and easy.

• Good to hear not too much taper madness infiltrating the thread (yet!)

Albee - 5:30mm pace is out of my league - glad that your calf held out, a good sign for sure.

AA - Are you sure that so much stress is good for you the day before image 

Final pre mara track session for me last night, 600:500:400 x 3 off short recoeries.  Taper must be kicking in as legs felt fresh and was running faster than previous track sessions for similar effort.

Sore throat this morning so back on all lozenges & potions I can get my hands on.

• After yet another enforced week off I gave my ankle a try last night - 5 miles at just over 7 min pace. Ankle held up well, although it's sore this morning. It's not going to stop me running on the 13th, but it'll certainly stop me doing too much between now and then. I definitely think I've lost some fitness though in the last 6 weeks or so because I've done so little running, but there's certainly no chance of being tired due to overtraining!
  • First running related injury for a while for me this morning, but not the usual calf strain or sore ankle, oh no! Slipped over walking down the stairs on my way out for my run this morning, so have nice carpet burn just below left buttock and a rather sore shoulder (a legacy of having dislocated it 20+ years ago on a rock hard football pitch in Swansea!).

Tempted to crawl back to bed feeling sorry for myself, but the kit was all out and ready to be put on, so off I went. Still trying to get my body used to speeding up during a run so went out for 8 miles with the first 4 in 30:15 and the second 4 in 29:15. Happy with that.

Got back to a reasonable amount of sympathy from Mrs L and a singular lack of it from the two Lorenzitos!

• Not long now!

My leg was murder at the weekend but the past two days have been relatively pain free, so I'm hoping that things may be on the up.  If I can start running again by June 1st I'll be a happy man, then hopefully I can build a good six weeks base before my NY schedule.

Good luck with the niggles, don't risk anything!  In a way I've been let off lightly, the weather's been appaling the past few weeks, I don't know where you all find the courage to train through it all.

• AA - don't blame you , i'd be there but will be relaxing in London at daughters house . Will try to watch game on tinternet.   V Slow  4.5 miles for me today ..  off to the garage to spin on bike ... to work up appetite for mixed grill ..........     
  • 7.65m @ 8:35 pace this afternoon, very easy 4m in the morning, rest day Friday. 

albee - 1983 that was some time ago the aircraft are now much bigger, I did my first parachute jump in 1984 and after almost 4000 jumps still enjoy it.

Thinking of heading into London Saturday then head for the Expo midday to 1pm in the afternoon will know in the next day or two if I'm going to do this, will anyone else be at the expo around the same time.
  • Drk - hmmm! Not so sure about this one - don't think I'll be putting it on my list of possible overseas marathon. I'm clearly too Victor!!

It's all gone a bit quiet bearing in mind the big day is only 11 days away! Who's going to get things going with race numbers and target times?

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings all

a lovely 10m in 1:22:43 on the coutryt road with the club.

Lorenzo, that sounds.... OUCH..... take care

You take care too BOTF

MF sorry to hear your still in discomfort.

Take care

• Hi everyone, have not posted since last week as after my run on Sat, I though my marathon was over and was just distrught - this would have been the third in a row. Started my runon Sat and within the first 200 strides the knee was very painful. As on all other runs I thought I would just run through it. That worked for a while - about 4 miles  - them we di some hillier sections. Going up hil and on the flats I could cope, going down hill was murder. Second downhil section my knee went. Felt like I had been shot. Went down in a heap. Net result was a long limp home as i was in the middle of nowhere....without a phone. Running partner was with me. I hobbled along with him for about 2 miles then he legged it to go and fetch a car. I walked about another two miles before meeting up with him for a ride home. Was gutted. Could hardly walk never mind run. Going up and down stairs was murder. So no runs for me until i saw the consultant last night.

Long and short is that the inside of my right knee is all inflamed and there may be some "scrapping". However, he felt nothing that should stop me doing the mara depending on the pain level. He was very good and sympathetic to my cause and what i was trying to do. He gave me a big shot of steroid in the knee - boy that hurt for a while and told me to take it easy and just do some gentle work and see how it goes. We will MRI scan after the mara.

Just got up and it feels a 1000 times better already so now feeling hopefull again. Not sure if I have a 3.30 in me but will go for it. So, I am back....well...I go skiing tomorrow with the family. At least that will stop me from doing something stupid like run a few hard and fast days and be knackered on the line on the 13th.

Feeling a lot happier todayimage

Apologies about the long note. Looks like everyone is there or there abouts.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Swayer, take care, and look after that knee, wrap it in cotton wool for 8/9 days.......
  • Swayer - take it easy. You need to be there on the start line to have a shout at 3:30!!

As for me, shoulder is still really sore so mindful of the risk of incurring Mrs L's wrath if I went out, I decided to give it a rest. Just as well I didn't set the alarm for silly o'clock as I didn't sleep that well so would have been pretty shattered today had I gone out first thing.

Planned rest day tomorrow and hopefully back out for another 20 miler on Saturday.

• Swayer - fingers crossed for you. Enjoy the skiing - and watch the hip after last time..!!

No running for me for 2 days as foot been bad, but have been icing regularly and plan to go for 6 mile run this morning - so will report back later. Positive thinkng...

• come on then - someone has to start it off -

green start, race no ?, aim sub 3 20, (pb 3 29, 2007)

• Rest day today, hotel booked and will now be at the expo Saturday midday to 1pm in the afternoon, will anyone else be there at the same time, on race day I plan to set off at approx 3:40 marathon pace because of the number of days I have missed due to injury and then see how things turn out in the early stages of the race and then may up the pace a little if feeling good, is there is anyone who is in the same boat who may also be thinking of setting off at the slightly slower pace at the start.

Swayer - take it easy, rest and more rest I think you should be alright for the start line on the 13th, enjoy your holiday.

AA -  Hope your foot is much better after some rest.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Got your mail thanks Geoff, will mail back over the w/end.

Rest day today