Options

London 2008

Comments

• Options

Julie, it's heavy rain and unless you've built in puddle inetrvals as part of training there's nothing to get excited about. 

Or am I missing something?

Ran the first couple of miles of the course last night, although I ran the red start and I'm blue, doh!

Greenwich Park looks lovely, all full of portable toilets.

• Options

metcheck  for 10am is 9c with a 5mph gentle breeze, rain by 1pm though - will be in so much pain by then won't notice a bit of rain.  Pretty much perfect running weather for me image

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=london&day=3

• Options

Sure I read somewhere, think it was CG, that there is more oxygen in air when raining, so looking on the positive side!   Tend to think its true as all my PB's are in the rain.........

Now CT, you will not be in pain, you will be strongly running last mile, or 9:45 start + 3:15 = 13:00 finish, just in time to avoid the rain! image

• Options

CT - The weather looks perfect to me.

Anyone meeting up Sunday morning at the Blue Start Area around 8am by the Church?

• Options

Weather sounds ok, I take everything back.

It's my first FLM, what time do I need to be there (I'm walking to the start as I only live down the road)

• Options

Domsk - I would suggest around 8:00 - 8:30 this will give you more than enough time to change and get ready for running 26.2m, running London for the first time, enjoy the experience.

• Options

Smiffie  - here's hoping - although I will still be happy if get a little bit wet! 

Domsk - I would get there at least an hour before the start, queues for the toilets are long (even if you go just before your leave home you will need to go again at least once - nerves!)  Also gives you time to get your bag on the baggage truck and to warm up before going into start pen.

Lots of loverly eating today (he says wiping his chin). 

OMG only 3 more sleeps.

• Options
    image     Last post for me probably ; travelling tomorrow to register .   Have a really great day everyone ;; lets' enjoy it     !!!   
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

All the best DRK if I dont see you.

Geoff will be at the church around 0830 I would have thought.......

• Options
    Did I say last post  ?   (getting addicted to metcheck.com   ) Forcast changed since lunchtime : now showers not arriving til after 13:00 and more sun than not ? http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=SW16&day=3No doubt we'll be warm enough ...  .....    image
  • Options

Looking at the current weather using the link above, this just gets better, between 10:00 - 12:59 blue skies no cloud, temp 12 degrees C, very light wind.

Prefect. 

• Options

Good luck to you all. I will be there cheering you on as my marathon is now over!!!!!!!!!!!!

On Sunday I tore both sides of my calf muscle skiing and have been limping around for the lasy four days. Have now been completely ruled out by the local medics. Calf is black from the ankle to the knee. Curretly heavily strapped and taking blood circulation pills.

GUTTED!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be looking out for all of you.

Good luck to you all. May you all achieve your dreams.

As for me, well I have £10,000 pledged so will do a mara later in the year. I will not give up!!!!

Best wishes

Swayer

• Options
    Swayer - Best Wishes, never give up.
  • Options
    Swayer: I feel for you. I broke my foot last year with 7 weeks to go and had to defer to this year. I only had £2,500 raised. I took myself off to Dublin and ran 3 hours 30 mins and 52 seconds. I've only run two marathons London 2005 and Dublin last Oct.  However my feeling was that Dublin was such a nicer experience.
  • Options

This'll be my last post until it's all over for this year as I'm off skiing tomorrow and will no doubt return in a week's time to many stories of blood (not too much I hope), sweat (plenty of it) and tears (of joy hopefully).

I just wanted to take the opportunity to wish everyone who's taking part the very best of luck. There are too many names on this thread to mention, but if humour, inspiration and motivation were indicators of success then there would be PB's a-plenty.

I'm not an expert, let alone an FLM veteran but a few thoughts:

If it's your first marathon (or your first London Marathon), then take time to soak up the atmosphere, smile whenever people call out your name if you've got it visible and cherish the run up the Mall.

Go with the game plan; pace yourself well and make the most of the drinks stops

When it gets tough (and it will), put a positive picture in your mind - a proud child holding your medal, the impact on the cause you're running for, the feeling of getting over the line knowing you've done your best.

Most importantly, enjoy it and I really hope to be on the start line with many of you next year!!

• Options

Lorenzo, thanks - enjoy your holiday.

Swayer - what an nightmare That's twice skiing's wrecked your marathon. Feel for you. Do Berlin - you'll love it.

Drk - and everyone else heading up to the Smoke today - good luck and look forward to reading all about it.

I'm kicking around for days yet!

• Options

Morning Sub 3:30s!

Just popped in here for a quick lurk and to wish you all well for Sunday.  I really belong here as well, but in a desperate attempt to at last break 3:20 (ie 200 minutes) I've been on the sub 3:15 thread this year.  Nice people, but their training is scary...

Enjoy Sunday!

• Options

come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

not been on the thread this year but as an old sub 3:30 forumite

good luck everyone, all the dedication and hard work is about to pay off for all of you with many PB's, run well, run strong and remember the weakest muscle in your body is your mind.....

• Options

Swayer - Sorry to hear that, I'm gutted that I'm missing out this weekend, especially now the expo's on, but I've had six weeks to get used to the idea.

I had £3,500 pledged so I'm booked for NY instead.

• Options

Swayer - Gutted for you - rest well & come back stronger.

Off to get train in a couple of hours for the long journey from oop north to the big city.  Will be taking a lap top with me for forum & weather updates - hopefully will have wi-fi at hotel.

Just in case - good luck all & hope we all get the times we are dreaming of.

2 more sleeps !!!

• Options
    MF - NY - Now thats an idea - Will have a think about that after Sunday - How did you get your entry?
  • Options

CT - ballot or there's a GFA system on half maras and full.

Online entry too so no hanging around to see if your chqs cashed....

Great city atmosphere in manhatton too

• Options
    My wife does voluntary work for Beating Bowel Cancer and I think they have charity places for NY .
  • Options

Good luck everyone. Have a brilliant day and may all your dreams come true.

Special wishes to RFJ on what I'm sure will be a very emotional run for him.

Looking forward to hearing the stories afterwards.

Are we meeting up on the Green start again at the same place? I'll e-mail my number to the usual suspects and if anyone else would like to come and say hello then please e-mail me. You never know, you might get your photo taken with James Cracknell! (That is who it was, isn't it? I'm rubbish at celeb spotting).

• Options
    or Ronan Keating LOL
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Thanks CG.

Swayer, sorry to hear, you must be gutted.

All the very best to all racing on Sunday, take care and hopefully see some of you.

• Options

I'm exhausted and want to leave work now - having completed all I can before taking a week off!  Collected my number and everything else yesterday.  Was excited till today - have had a headache all day and two nose bleeds! 

Tonight I need to pack - as we're going from London on Sunday to Stanstead to fly out to Italy on Monday morning and I still havent booked a hire car OR got any euros!

Supposed to be coaching tomorrow morning before we drive to London - think I'll see if the others can manage without me and then I can have a more leisurely morning to get ready - but I know we're already 1 coach down and just thinking of it makes me feel guilty!  Why did I think it was so clever to go away the week after flm?

I've promised my club friends that I'll get to the start early instead of late this time.  I estimate that this will mean leaving the hotel at 8am - allowing 20 mins to get to tube station from hotel, 20 mins on tube and 20mins from tube to start, arrive at 9am.  Might just book a taxi though - its got to be easier? So I'll keep an eye out for you others.  AA - I might recognise you from meeting up at expo last year!  

• Options
    RJF - Sounds good, 08:30 at the church then, may I suggest to wait by the main doorway, anyone else joining.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Sounds fine, just near the steps..... (hopefully wont be lashing down...) will try and text, if plans go pear shaped...