London 2008

Comments

• Last minute visitor to this thread.  Glad to see I'm not the only one who's been sneaking on to the 3:15 thread to see what the speed merchants are up to.

Public target: sub-3:30. Private target: 3:20. 

Race plan: start at 8:00 pace, edge up to nothing faster than 7:35 before the 20 mile mark, then tell myself I've got a 10K race to do and just get on with it.  Well, that's the theory.

Good luck everyone.

• This is me now signing off and heading into London, to all have a great race and will look forward to your post race reports.

Enjoy, have a good one.

• albee - were you banksie last year?? Wondered what had happened to you!

CG, usual spot by the celeb tent?? Remember when we took Minni's pic with James Cracknell?! So funny, we do have a laugh before the race - takes al the nerves away! ANd the state of Jade Goody!

I feel a bit rough today - hope its nothing serious.

Got a fun day watching Reading v Fulham - it's crucial for us!

• Hi everyone,

Just a last GOOD LUCK to you all. I will be looking out for you all as I will stil travel up to cheer you all on. May you all achieve the magic sub 3.30. So wish I was there on the start line. Gonna feel weird if not a little upsetting!!!!!!!

Are you all meeting up at the end in the repat areas?? If so where as a I would like to get over to see you and say well done.

Best wishes to you all,

Swayer

PS - RFJ/AA....I suppose a good sporting and entertaining 4-4 draw wont help either of you.

AA - You'll have to let me know a little more about Berlin. I see in RW its the best race to try and hit any PB in.

• Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    GOODLUCK GUYS!!
  • Good luck all!

I'll be eagerly awaiting your finishing times tomorrow, just enjoy the day.

CT - I was running London for Macmillan, because I'd raised £3500 they transferred my sponsorship total over to NY, I just had to pay £459 registration for the flights and accommodation.

• Collected my number yesterday, and I've just done a gentle 2 miles round the block to make sure everything is still in working order. Off now to get everything packed and ready as I have to be out of the house by 6:15 tomorrow so I want everything ready to pick up and run.

So good luck to everybody, hope you all have a great day. You've all helped me get to this point and I'm very grateful. Currently I'm excited, nervous and apprehensive all at the same time - I hate to think what my heartrate is going to be like 30 seconds before the start!

• Well - well done RFJ for beating us - we were shocking. Hope my performance tomorrow is better than Reading's today!!!

Good luck to everyone whose not left yet.

Just eaten my pasta and feel really bloated!

Bit nervous but looking forward to it.

This is me signing off til tomorrow.

• Well done everyone who ran today. Brilliant to see Smiffy and AA again and to run with AA to halfway.

I've seen some of the results but won't spill the beans. The lack of training told in the end and although I was hoping for 3:30 something, I'm not disappointed with 3:42. Went through halfway in 1:44 but got really bad stitch at 21 miles.

Highlights were running with AA, seeing Mick and Phil on the other side of the road at 21 miles obviously having the time of their lives and the bag of chocolates in the goody bag!

Can't wait to get some proper training done for Mablethorpe now.

• Well I did it - 3:26:43, and I'm well chuffed. Thank you guys - you all had a part in it. I think I may now retire from marathon running image
  • Aching like mad.

Loved seeing Smiffie and CG - can't believe we didn't get on telly - we tried standing right next to Cracknell and Fogle!! Ran with CG to Tower Bridge - we even did YMCA at 7 miles - had a laugh!!

Got soaked at 12 miles and ran in wet socks from then on. Struggled badly from 16-21 and ended up with 3:34:17. A new PB for London and 2nd fastest time overall so not disappointed at all.

BOTF - fantastic - well done.

• Good running BOTF, espeially given the injuries you've had!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done BOTF, AA and CG, all ahead of me......

Met up with Geoff, yesterday at the Expo, then at the Church, then at 5m....... then we lost each other...

Ran into Smiffie at 8-9m and ran with her for 2m before getting seperated again......

So my day (copied from trg thread......)

Oh well, no 3:30, but a best ever FLM time...... reasons..

• Mile 1 - For MUM     Mile 10 - For MUM     Mile 19 - For MUM
    • Mile 2 - For MUM     Mile 11 - For MUM     Mile 20 - For MUM
    • Mile 3 - For MUM     Mile 12 - For MUM     Mile 21 - For MUM
    • Mile 4 - For MUM     Mile 13 - For MUM     Mile 22 - For MUM
    • Mile 5 - For MUM     Mile 14 - For MUM     Mile 23 - For MUM
    • Mile 6 - For MUM     Mile 15 - For MUM     Mile 24 - For MUM
    • Mile 7 - For MUM     Mile 16 - For MUM     Mile 25 - For MUM
    • Mile 8 - For MUM     Mile 17 - For MUM     Mile 26 - For MUM
    • Mile 9 - For MUM     Mile 18 - For MUM     Mile .2 - For MUM

In a nutshell....... had a great day, the rain was caused by my tears I'm affraid, I cried so much today, but in a good way in rememberance for MUM.

Met so, so many people from RW and Fetch, the support teams weres so speacila at 17 and 22 mile points. Thanks to you all, you are so special.

Thanks for the hug at the end NN, i needed that support. Thanks to all, for making today a special day for me and MUM.

Stats for the day other than getting sun burnt in the first 10m.......!

• 10K - 49:54
    • 20K - 1:40:46
    • Half - 1:46:15
    • 30K - 2:33:13
    • 40K - 3:31:59
    • Finish - 3:43:53

I am very happy with that, 5th FLM, best prior to this was 3:51, but still no PB or 3:30, there are other days and other Maras, today was for today and for MUM.

Take care

• Woohoo 3:44:34 so crucially under 3:45 here I come to London next two years, set of 8mm managed to half way then it wasn't pretty  Garmin  think that tells the story LOL at my heartrate............!  then i realised 3:45 was still on cards and tryed to leg it for last 2 miles, well I say leg it but think it was only a 'ickle bit faster, it wasn't pretty but I got loads of support from the crowd & fellow runners to see it to finish line ;0)

Great to see you RFJ and thanks for being a Gent and saying we 'got separated!' ;0)

Woohoo I finished with Gordon Ramsey and couldnt resist saying hello (really annoying I expect) but he was lovely and gave me kiss on the cheek, 7-year old son was disgusted and doesn't believe 'his' Gordon could have done anything so 'orrible!

CG & AA great to meet up again, running with wet feet isn't fun is it!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Well done Smiffie, CG, you and I were not far apart, 42, 43, 44...... well done
  • Well done to you all. AA - RFJ - Smiffie - BWOTF - CG...and everyone else.Great stories and great times for everyone in what must have been hard conditions in the changing weather.

I was there on the course cheering at random people. Hopefully some of them were you all. Really felt for all of you when the rains hit. I can only imagine how that felt. I really hope you enjoyed the day. So wshed I could have been out there.

RFJ - Kept looking out for you in your stripey shirt as really wanted to give you a cheer. Well done on a great result on what must have been an tough and emotional day. You ran for all the right reasons and I am sure your mum would have been proud of you.

So what and where next?????

• I knew I should have been on the 3.45 thread!  I got 3 hours 42 - had some horrible moments between 20 and 22 miles, but then got better.  It was my first marathon- I couldn't believe the support!  So many people!  What a wonderful day! 

I am having great difficulties walking now, but enjoying a glass of wine.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Well done beatie.....

Swayer - I was in macmillan Green today, so would have been hard for you to see the Tesoc value stripes of Andover.image

• Met up with RJF, yesterday at the Expo, then at the Church, then at 5m, started between 8:05 - 8:10 pace at approx 8m was trying not to stop and make a visit to the little boys room at about 9m pit stop 20 sec shortly after this had a bad patch, at the 14m point in the heavy rain was feeling good and upt the pace a little, was slow a little at the 18m point and was approx 6mins behind 3:30 pace, at 21m point had stomach cramps was not sure why, was drinking at the right level as far as I know and shortly after was a mixture of walking/running, 1.5m from the finish was a much stronger again in the heavy rain.

Time just over 4 hours, not disappointed with the time as over this winter have had some weeks off due to injury, the first half of the race was in good shape, I have identified what was causing my injuries and already trying to plan another marathon later this year.

Will be back next better and stronger, thinking of raising for a charity which I have not done for a while weather I get a ballot place or not, I'm also thinking of changing my training program.

Well done to, AA, BOTF, RJF, smiffie, beattie on your times and anyone else that I may have missed out.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Well done AA and CG.  I look for you on the telly this morning but didn't see you.  It looked like an ideal start but boy that rain!

Everyone did brilliantly well and I am envious.  I did a 6 mile run this afternoon vowing to break 3:30 next year........  bring it on!

Well done again!

• Well done everyone.  I was bang on track for my private target of 3:20 until around mile 18.  Just couldn't force the pace out of my legs in the last 10K, but 3:25:56 did the biz for my public target of sub 3:30.

Highlights: (1) running miles 6 and 7 round Cutty Sark etc with Gordon Ramsay, at a nice comfortable 8 min/mile pace, and (2) seeing the 9 lead elite men packed together coming the other way at mile 14 - awesome, and to think I was in the same race as the world's best.  Oh, and (3) just avoiding being speared by a Masai warrior in the first mile!

• Well done all of you. I didn't hit the the time I was hoping for.  I did 3:24:17 which is a pb by over 6 minutes so won't complain. Did 1:39:34 for half point which I am happy with considering I was a minute and a half off my scheduled pace due to congestion. Then second half took me 1:44:33. The other factor I need to take into account when running these big races is that when you are running in the masses you always run further than actual distance. According to my garmin I ran 26.8 miles.

Anyhow I really enjoyed it apart from cold rain from mile 13 to 18. My Wife , children and bro-in-law really enjoyed it. Third time I've run the distance and each time I edge closer to my goal. Obviously I need to just run faster.

Just tried new entry system for next year and it turfed me out at the payment point.

Now need to take all this distance traing and turn it into pbs for 5k and 10k and 1/2marathon in the next few months.

Although I wasn't really a memberiof this thread as always wanted sub 3-15 I knew really that my time would lie with you guys.

BOTF will catch up with you at work.

Once again all of you regardless if you got what you wanted or not all did fantastic.

• Congrats to all & great to read reports, just got home & worn out so will post more in the morning.

RFJ - Well done - l liked your splits - shows what is important, I'm sure that your mum was with you today.

I was stunned by my result, absolutely stonking day & perfect running weather for me - ended up wth 3:14:24 - GFA & me now in for the next two years. 

• Well done everyone, cracking time Cheiftain!

I was on target right up to mile 23 and then my achilles injury told me that it wasn't going to happen and I ended up with 3.34.

Considering that 7 weeks ago I was sat on the physio table confronted with a lot of head shaking, then I'm not too unhappy about only knocking 8 minutes off my pb in only my second marathon.

A fantastic day, the crowd were fantastic. Seeing my wife and kids in Greenwich and then again at the GOSH cheer at 17.5 miles was the highlight for me.

Entered for next year already and on to breaking 40 mins for 10k in June next.

• Way to go RFJ. I may have to come out of retirement to slay this 3.30 beast with you!
  • Well done CT, fantastic see you on Green start next year image
  • 3.31.21 the warm spell before tower bridge slowed me right down before the downpour still proud of time and effort.
  • Fantastic running CT, you must be well chuffed!
  • CG & Smiffie - Congrats on maintaining GFA for next two years on the back of injury interrupted training.  Am sure that there are better times for both of you youngsters ahead.

AA - Not surprised to see that you are living up to your forum name - can assure you that there are thousands of us stiff & hobbling around today (that day after Adidas advert cracks me up).

RFJ - You were not the only one adding to the moisture caused by the rain.  So many people run for so many different reasons, to me it is these brave folks who are the real heroes of the day and are the inspiration to many thousands of others.

BOTF, TW & Asteriod - congratulations & welcome to the 3:30 club - what next ?

Geoff M, Beattie, Dansk & Slug - Great times all, celebrate your achievement and think of the 10's of thousands who finished behind you and the millions sat on their sofas at home wishing that they could be a marathon runner.

• Wow what a day - After 8 previous marathons, all finished with varying degrees of disappointment, one finally comes my way that went like clockwork.

Upped the training for this one with more & longer LSR's, some with closing miles at target race pace, plus better quality sessions during the week. Started my programme in November and have been very fortunate to be both injury and largely illness free.

Got a great start from Red & was over the line within 10 seconds of the gun.  No congestion until starts merged at 3 miles and let loads of people enthusiastically go dashing past me, continued to be constantly overtaken until around 10 miles.  I kept to my plan and let them go.

Quickly got settled into a rhythm and locked myself into my own world of controlled running, slowed a little on the Isle of Dogs during the rain and round Canary Wharf with all twists and turns.  By about 17 miles I realised that I was now constantly overtaking many of those who had steamed past me earlier (a great feeling that I have always been on the other end of previously).

Got to 24 miles and was 2 seconds behind the pace for 3:15 so dug deep and aimed to gain a bit of an advantage.  Ran the next mile to 25 in 6:53! - not sure how I managed it but was well pleased and reasonably sure that my dream target was within reach.  Put a lid on it to mile 26 and then threw in everything that was left in the tank to come home in 3:14:24.  

Great this running lark isn't it (who would have thought that the person writing this post was a 21stone physical drop who was never any good at any sport until inspired by FLM a few years ago).