Water

Comments

• Think it is really because a bottle without a cap on it will crush under your foot, but if it has a cap on it then it won't crush. Therefore you are more likely to be injured if you tread on it.
  • I ran in front of the super-soaker guys - was brilliant, they should have had all spectators issued with them! (err, on second thought maybe not).

I guess it's hard to balance out how much water you'll need, and it must be a huge logistical exercise, but given they knew the weather was going to be so hot, adding an extra couple of thousand per station doesn't really cut it IMO.
  • we finished in 7 hours and we were hearing rumours from people that the water had run out so we were panicking a bit and holding on to the water we had got hold of

however, there was more than enough water in the end, we shared a bottle a lot of the time because at most you just needed sips. I think the organisation for this was amazing, I don't know what the answer is to the size of the bottles etc, I would imagine it would be too expensive to have smaller bottles.
  • As a 4 hr runner I found the water fine. But what I did do, was only take a bottle every 3rd stop or so and make it last. Despite not having a lid it didn't go all over the place, and I found the bottles just the right size to run with comfortably. I hated going to the water stations so was much happier only going to every 2nd or 3rd and making it last. And I love the heat so no need to pour it over me (although many thanks to the guy with his garden hose at about mile 10!)
  • It's not surprising that those running quick times didn't have problems with the water and frankly it doesn't make me feel any better hearing that they had plenty. This being my first marathon I was shocked to discover that you could go past 3 consecutive water stations and get nothing! Nobody can blame the faster runners but the organisers should have been better prepared.
  • Surely the answer is to restrict runners to one bottle each - I saw many runners, not surprisingly, take 2 bottles. I ran in 5:40 and didn't have a problem at any drinks station. I thought they were brilliant but can appreciate it might have been worse coming behind me. FLM will no doubt learn from this and hopefully so will many of the thirsty runners - like bring your own bottle so it can last longer rather than drop a half empty one.
  • I must admit I was surprised how, early on at least lots of runners still discarded their water bottle after a couple of sips. I tended to run with mine for most of the mile I had received it, drank probably half-2/3rds and poured the rest over me.

I was also asked on two seperate stations to take two bottles and pass one on - which i did.
  • tallbirdtallbird ✭✭✭
    I started the run with my own 500ml bottle of water which had a 'sports cap' on it. Once I finished the water, I kept the cap which I then screwed onto the bottles I picked up from water stations.

This meant that I could carry the water for a while and not slosh it all over, but also made it easier to drink from the bottle.

My top tip then - the water suppliers give everyone a sports cap at the expo.
  • I can't fault the organisation and thought that the water stops were amazing. I ran just under 5 hours and only saw one station where they seemed to be running out. It wasn't necessary to take water at every stop and I ran with my bottle and didn't pour any over me. The organisers stressed that people should only take one bottle - I heard it on the course and at the expo. There should have been more than enough for everybody so if it did run out I guess it was due to some runners taking more than their fair share.
    Like us runners who trained for six months we couldn't prepare for conditions on the day. I think the Organisers coped extremely well. I also noticed that in the later stages water was handed out rather than left for people to help themselves from tables so distributing it more evenly.
  • This is not the first year they have run out of water at some stations so surely by now there should be a plan B in place. Yes I know it is easy to criticise the great Mr Bedford,when all I have to do is turn up and run....but I think lessons need to be learnt and acted upon. Maybe sponge stations are the way forward!

Another thought...perhaps Dave Bedford should run it one year...just to experience our gripes.
  • At 4 hour pace I also had no problem with the water stations although I was very ready for a drink by the first station so feel sorry for those guys who never got one there. I took a bottle every 2 or 3 water stations and found it easy to run with the water for a while - I have to do it when I'm training so why not here?

I prefer them to give out water without lids because in previous races I have found that people throw lids in the road and I turn my foot if I step on them much worse than a squashy bottle.

I'm shocked at people taking two bottles which seems uneccessary and unfair on the people behind them especially with the water stations being so frequent.
  • Whilst I was mildly disappointed that the first water station had no water left when I got there, I have to say that in relation to the overall quality of the organisation of the event, and the quality of the field which was put together, I am surprised that people have created so much fuss about the water. With regards the people who claim that they 'had' to discard most of the water after a couple of sips because there was no lid, it would surely have been worth offering the remaining water to a runner nearby, as happened in the elite race.
  • Thats what I was doing, if I couldnt drink all of the water, I gave it to someone else.
    What I found annoying was that people decided to walk five abreast in the middle of the road so that you couldnt get past them.
  • I finished in 5 and a half hours and there was loads of water at all the water stations (in fact, i didn't need to take water at all of them there were so many), it looked as if they had put extra water stations on too. I think they did a great job providing water on a tricky day.
  • I ran just over 4 1/2 hrs and had only one stop with no water over halfway round, I took the precaution of taking my own water bottle which I filled up every couple of stops. I think the whole day was well organised and clear, albeit the weather was a tad warm, it was def better than rain and wind, fantastic for April, and I hope the runners enjoyed the experience as much as I did.
  • It must have been very difficult for the volunteers at the water stations having to tell us 'sub-5' starters there was none left. What was a bit more frustrating is when they told us that there would be some at the end of the line and then there wasn't. Which left me wandering around aimlessly - thanks to the spectator who gave me her bottle!

3 miles without water, passed out and came around again to walk to the finish but happily I made it so I'm grateful, especially given today's terrible news!

Thanks to the Fire Brigade for the sprinklers ... the best idea ever :)!

• speaking as a volunteer at the Mile 14 water station, I would like to see a basic standpipe being utilised as a standby with a load of cups to supply the slower runners.I am sure they would prefer that rather than nothing...or of course we could have been supplied with extra bottles....we could always return those not used...!!!!
  • m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    I must say that with stations running out it was hard to see what 'station' had some left. Therefore wasn't getting too upset with walkers getting in the way (& I was a walker for a bit!!!).

Scampie - EXTRA well done for passing out & coming round to finish. Same to those being ick by the side & then carrying on - I'm sooooo pathetic when being ick that I think I probably wouldn't be able to carry on if I had been (sorry if that's too much detail on the subjet).
  • very interesting articles on this in the Metro this morning and the Lite I think tonite,
    The lite quoted someone as saying that too much water is bad for you and that runners didn't need to take water from every station.

I'm no expert but I would imagine water toxicity sets in after a large (5 ltrs+?) volume? Anyone here know a bit more on the subject?
  • it depends on your sex, your build, how much you drink, and how long you are out there
    amongst other things

you wouldnt need water every mile, no
  • Marky Mark - I am absolutely staggered by your comment.

What has the quality of the field put together got to do with some of us complaining about water stations being out of water?

Like you, the first water station was out of water by the time I got there (running @ 5hr pace at that point).

But am I supposed to say 'that doesn't matter - cos Gebrselassie, Tergat and Lel were taking part'???

I do agree that the overall organisation of the event is first class. But they misjudged the water supply situation.
  • SD..some of my club girls have helped at mile 14 water station with your club...I know when they helped two years ago there wasn't any water left for slower runners so I think Mr Bedford needs to take stock of this.

and thank you for all your hard work.

I still think sponge stations would be an enormous help.

• The water station at 17 miles ran out for a short period but they seemed to get some bottles from somewhere and id observed and overhead the head of the drink station talking to police about running out of water.

They were only dry for about 10 mins and were then giving the water out in paper cups. I gave them 12 bottles the mile 17 supporters had bought to hand out but people didnt seem inclined to take water from us.

At least 2 runners handed me a bottle asking us to pass on to anyone who needed it.

Its a real sorry state of affairs that FLM cant guarantee not to run out of water on a hot day! I read they had 2500 extra per drink station, I hope in further hot years they'll make that 10,000 extra, they can always give the unopened water packs back to vittel!
  • Sorry Scoop, all I meant to say was that the the overall organisation, including providing all the support for the masses, right up to organising a world class field, was fantastic, and the amount of emphasis being placed on a small number of water stations running out of water is entirely disproportionate. The fact that people near the back (including me with a time of just under 6 hours) didn't get water at some key times should be noted, and learned from, but reading the entries on this thread from the beginning I was getting the impression that I had attended an entirely different event to everyone else.
  • I was quite annoyed that by mile 7-10 there was no water and the people manning the stations just looked a us awkwardly as we came up to get water without telling us that it was all gone.

If it hadn't been for the good nature of the people of london bringing us out water from their homes myself and many of the runners behind me would have been in trouble.

Needless to say there was tons of the stuff still available around westminster and key areas where the cameras were!!
  • Hi everyone. Firstly may I say that it really is a shame that a water shortage situation occured and as mentioned before, this isn't the first time it has happened so perhaps FLM should have been better equipped. However, I ran with my own bottle of water for the first 6 miles and took one from every other station thereafter, I didn't notice any shortage and ran a 4:42.

I thoroughly enjoyed the day, the support from the crowds was amazing and the volunteers did a fantastic job. This was my first marathon and certainly won't be my last. The loss of two toe nails, and two almighty blisters still wont hold me back next year! I hope many of you feel the same.
  • Yes , I was on line for 5hrs and found no water left at mile 3 .. extraordinary .. however I admit to scrabbling in the gutter and the same a few miles on ! It worked as I was OK all the way . However agree that more water should have been available . And Yes horrid and sticky after the sports drink stations but nothing can be done about that . I had a wonderful day and was delighted to have run all the way on my first marathon and not a blister in sight ! . hope to be back next year . !
  • Yes, it was hot. It blew my times out of the water adding on about 50 mins, most clearly demonstrated by looking for the RW 9 min pacer at the start (I never did see them!), then watching the 10 min pacer cruise effortlessly past me at about mile 21 and figting off the 11 min pacer during mile 25. The heat hurt me a lot but I never expected the FLM to provide me with non stop water. I didn't train with drinks every mile, en-route showers, sweets etc. I did carry 2 energy drinks bottles with me on long training runs which got put in passing bins as the run progressed. If I had run in most other lower profile marathons, water (and possibly only water)would be aviable much more sporadically e.g. every 3/4/5 miles. (Those races also don't have such impressive goody bags, support networks, transport subsidies etc, but similar entry fees. Yes I know there is massive sponsorship, but I'm talking about the deal the ordinary runner gets)
    Did I wish the perfect marathon weather that happened on Monday had come earlier, you bet. Did it affect my enjoyment of the day? Definitely. Was it FLM's fault? No. Was providing water at least every couple of miles in addition to energy drinks reasonable. Yes
    Would starting at 9.00 for the masses help increase the chances of cooler weather? Yes. I am sure there is a reason why we don't do that but I would be interested to know. I do hope it isn't just for the television audience to get the women's race started over their breakfast. Sorry for the rant. Well done FLM, well done athletes, all 36 000 of you.
  • No problems with water at 2:50 pace.
  • Totally agree with Ken scott3, you have managed to get across what I was trying to say, but much more clearly.