What amazed and inspired me more than ever was?

The amount of people who would be seen as overweight and not typical runners build" -passing through the finish in good times -really helped my confidence:O)

what inspired you who were watching it?

Comments

• The girl who was still going, making her way along the pavement at embankment tube (road had been re-opened), at about 1730. She'd refused the broom wagon and was making her way the finish. She was on her way to what must be the achievement of her life. The sheer bloody determination almost brought tears to the eyes.
  • great to see I reckon, too:O)
  • the guy running carrying the cross
  • The guy with 2 artificial legs at mile 3.

He fell, was picked up & then acccelerated away from me (I was running 8:30 mile pace!)truly inspirational.
  • Just the amount of people still in fancy dress, and there's me (walking) in vest and shorts, being overtaken by 5 rhinos and 2 wombles, that I noticed.

I don't know how these guys/girls do it.

And, to be honest, anyone who is as stubborn as me and would rather walk for miles, with blisters or cramp or anything rather than admitting defeat.
  • DiddsDidds ✭✭✭
    The cheering of the crowds, from the very start to the finishing line - just amazing, and brought a lump to my throat time after time along the way. Probably at its best around Canary Wharf? Even better than at the GNR which I did in 2005 and 2006 and which before yesterday I thought could not be beaten. Well done all who finished yesterday, and to those who watched. Didds (4:22:17)
  • blimey bullit -I was amazed how they did it:o0
  • Reading the stories on the back of everyone's running tops. So many sad stories, and so many ordinary people inspired to achieve something extraordinary.Congratulations to everyone. Also the wonderful support from the crowd. The whole experience really renewed my faith in human nature. Fantastic!
  • The way people turned out to cheer and support. It was a long day for them too, and most of them didn't get a medal and a t-shirt for it.

Special thanks to the RW contingent at Mile 17 and the Fetchies at Mile 22. Being ambidextrous, I partook of hugs and sweeties at both sites :o)
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    The supporters generally were brilliant. When I stopped being annoyed with myself about the slow time I knew I was going to do I just enjoyed the crowd support. People made eye contact and said things like "Come on Jen, you can do this" - it was proper support, not just them reading the name on the shirt and shouting it out randomly.
  • :O)))

shouldn't that be "ambidextrose" then V'rap:O)

x
  • The crowds were fantastic.

Somewhere in Deptford (I think) a man called out, "You lot put the "Great" in Great Britain you do!" That was particularly inspiring.
  • at 5 miles a young girl shouted at me

"i think you are amazing-i cant run five miles"

And she meant it
  • Trickster - not sure if that girl was me! but I was hobbling down the embankment at that time in a bright pink sparky top with tears rolling down my face!!! Nothing was going to stop me and when a finisher up on top of a bridge shouted down my name and said 'go girl - you can do it'! I knew i would. I felt silly, stupid and totally dissapointed at that point as I was well on time for 5hour finish untill half way when my legs stoppped - totally. Only way to describe pain was like my feet had been cut off at the ankles and i was walking on the stumps.. (though now i've heard about the poor guy you didnt make it I know I have nothing to complain about). The whol event inspired, amazed and left me in tears of joy, pain and a feeling a cant quite put into words. THANKYOU to all the finishers/suporters etc.. who helped me on those last miles XXX
  • Pink&sparkly!!!

I was one of the St Trinian's girls you met on the train and then we met you again later on.

Well done for getting round when you felt like that. When we saw you, you still had that great big grin on your face :-D. You did brilliantly!!

Nice to see you posting under your new name!!

• pink and sparkly !! whoo hooo I was the other St Trinian :D and you did a star job on sorting out my bum bag, no problems with it at all :D

sorry to hear you had a nightmare but fab fab fab on getting round xxxx
  • Join us next year - plenty of room in Form 3B for more ;-p
  • Pink and sparkly, we crossed the line together! Thank you for holding hands all that way and laughing and crying with me. Jo
  • Yey!!! Sweetest thing and Loon!!!

I did it, I did it, I did it!!! can i have a gold star for being a good pupil!
    It was lovely to speak to you on the train, sorry I lost you at the bandstand, (loo was beckoning!)
    Loon, glad your bumbag worked, and sweet, I love my new 'name'
    I will be applying for next year - I have not been discouraged! And I'll be in fancy dress with you if u doing it again!

Ive had to laugh at myself today, walking is soooo funny! like a stick man and i wobble when i get up, but hey, that medal was worth every excrutiating step

Thanks guys XX
  • I think we might do the St Trinian's things again if we do it next year - I think people quite liked it!!
  • I think they did
    :)))
    i have mailed you some pics ST
  • Jcha (((JO))))

Oh thankyou so much, words are not enough, but holding hands over that line together will be a memory from the marathon forever! I'll email you the pics mum took, she did a little video of us right at the end, brings back the tears and laughter!

hope your hips are ok and you got home safely

(sorry for temporarily hijacking thread, but thanks have to go to Sweetest thing, Loon and especially Jo, couldnt have done those lsat few miles without you jo)

Pink&sparkly! XXX
  • Oooh, shall have a look, PH!

thank you!
  • I liked all the people that talked to me on the tube on the way home. Was I still in London....???!! ;o)
  • highest admiration to the girl I ran alongside for a short while, who had the bloody nose following a collision with with a spectator. You were determined to press on regardless. i hope it wsn't too sore after the race. one of the many examples of deermination I saw.
  • NykieNykie ✭✭✭
    I was near Sweetest Thing et al for a while, a couple of times, and you sure got lots af admiring shouts :o)
  • I agree with you, KayVee. It was great to have a day of smiling at people, sharing suntan lotion etc and not getting weird looks back! I reckon we should try and prolong the smiling at strangers for as long as possible before we get lamped. Share the love!
  • This isn't anything from the actual course on the day, but when I was feeling crap (ie for most of the second half) I thought about Jane Tomlinson and how she must have felt as bad or worse for all of her events and training because of her bone cancer.

And it was lovely of the marshall letting us into pen 6 at the red start to tell us how heroic we all were!

And (I'm on a roll now) the commentator at the start who kept saying we were x minutes away from starting the best marathon in the world!

And the tinkly jingle church bells at about 2 miles-ish that were playing the Chariots of Fire theme. Just a little thing, but it shows how someone somewhere was wanting to show their support. I was touched.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I heard those Artful Hen! That was brilliant. There was another church further on doing the same I think (its a bit of a blur now though to be honest)