Did anyone else NOT enjoy yesterday?

The heat i could deal with, but the frustration of not getting the time I wanted has left me feling very low. Instead of enjoying the atmosphere and just celebrating the event, I found myself obsesing over my time (I wanted 4hrs but took 4:40).

2 hours and still only on 12 miles I just got completely dispondent and vitually gave in.

Generally in life I'm pretty optimistic, but on this ocassion I finished feeling completely empty.

Comments

• you did finish though, right?!

• Lucky Beggar for being able to run!
    Still..... got to spectate for the first time
  • If it helps, Dp Dp, I felt pretty similar. I had high hopes of finsihing around the 4 hour mark, but that went completely out of the window fairly early on. In the end I crossed the line at 4h 50.

The feelings post race were mixed; pleased to have finished my first marathon, glad the pain had stopped, but intensely frustrated at my time. I accept the conditions were not exactly favourable, but I was still hoping for a bit more. Next year, I guess..
  • I really, really HATED it!! I feared I might be the only one. I've only run in two races before and this was my first marathon. I looked forward to all the 'wonderful atmosphere' everyone talks about and the 'amazing sights' but, seriously, I was so hot and it was such hard work I couldn't enjoy any of it!! I was aiming for sub-4 and ended up walking a bit. Came in at 4:20. Still fairly pleased with the time but only because it seems people were really suffering...
  • Felt very much like you Dp Dp but a night's sleep and today's sad news has rather put things back into perspective. I'm still as frustrated as all hell at myself for wussing out but such is life.
  • Dp - if this was your 1st marathon, then I can understand the despondency as it's not unusual - I missed my 1st sub-4 by 7 mins and was gutted for weeks

but look on it as a learning experience - quite often PB's come when the person is not so focused and just goes and runs....

take on board what you have learned and come back (maybe a different marathon with less crowds) and have another crack - some people take many goes before they crack their target or resign themselves ot the fact it may never happen...

I cracked the sub-4 on my 2nd - only by 8 secs but what the hell!!
  • I agree with FB - for a 1st marathon - in that heat - you did pretty good times and I'd have been proud of them...
  • yes I finished, and yes i know how lucky I am - family and friends were very supportive throughout the training and over the weekend; I got in on the ballot; ran and finished in good health, etc.
  • At least you finished and were able to take on water.

Even though us slower runners were left without water I still enjoyed the experience and must give thanks to the great supporting crowds for giving up their water/sweets etc and the St John's ambulance service for doing a great job.

In the light of what has happened today I was just glad to finish in one piece.
  • Too hot, and not enough training. Blisters by mile 6 ish.

I enjoyed the first 2-3 miles, but then I tried concentrating on the spectators and the sights, can't say I enjoyed it until the finish line.

As has been said before at least I finished and am still here to think of my revenge (give me a couple of years and I'll be back).
  • I ran 55 mins slower than "target time" and was really dissapointed. Out of a group of 20 or so most of the other runners were 45 mins to an hour later than they were hoping for - and two runners had to drop out so didn't finish.

They always say no PB's at London - and with heat, crowds (and people starting in wrong pens) think they are right.

Definately last London for me but would like to get a PB and will investigate Berlin, Dublin or Amsterdam.
  • Didnt enjoy in the heat at all, was very frustrated by people walking before 3 mile who had stickers with pen 5 & 6 on when i was in pen 8.
    In some ways the fact it was hot & crowded and that this meant no way was I going to get my target time - sub 4.30 - took the pressure off and I stopped and chatted with my supporters rather than running past.
    I didnt enjoy all of it, hated parts of it, loved the start and savoured the finish.

next year.... maybe
  • I did enjoy it as my first marathon experience but came in about 40 mins slower than I expected. So, I'm a bit disappointed in that respect but now, having read the other posts, I realise that London isn't the one for a fast run.... not to mention the heat. London is basically a 26 mile carnival which was great on the day as I don't think I could've made it without all that support from the crowds. To be honest, I'm really just happy to have completed the course and not made myself another St Johns statistic especially in light of the recent tragedy.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I did feel that way dp dp (great name!!), wanted sub 4 got 4.18 which equals my prev pb. However, I finished, I didn't do my self any bad damage, and i was 241st out of 1087 women my age group. There are always some positives but maybe we need a couple more days to get them.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • I agree with all of the above! My first marathon, I expected to do sub 4.30 but managed 4.51 - a little diappointed but I think just to finish and still be here to tell the tale is a great achievement and we should all be proud of ourselves! I didn't really enjy any of it to be perfectly honest and have vowed never again - but the memory of the pain and heat is already fading fast!
  • From somebody who was at the sharp end (finished 147th overall) believe me yesterday was really tough. I ran a much better race than last year but the clock shows 26 secs slower. In conditions like that it's not all about time. I moved up from 257th (out of those that finished) at halfway - there were some good runners out there yesterday suffering badly. One guy I know is a 1:11-1:12 halfmarathon runner (from memory) - he split 1:15/1:30. Ok, so maybe a lot of you would dream about that time - but for him that was 20% slower on the second half. Another ex-clubmate who's run 2:42 several times didn't finish.

I suggest you look at your position this year, and compare it with where that time would have placed you last year. Hopefully that'll show you had a better run than you thought, even if the time on the watch says otherwise.
  • There were bits I hated, bits I loved.
    Loved the support, the cameraderie, the sights (even though I see them more or less everyday).
    Hated the heat, the busyness (having to run round people constantly really takes it out of you), and also myself for wimping out and walking when I probably could have kept running.

Did about 30-40 mins slower than I'd aimed to, and really suffered with nausea and dizziness from the heat all the way round - was so worried about conking out completely I just backed off.

But hey, I finished, am in one piece, and am being treated like a celebrity at work:-)

• I remember thinking (several times) 'this is one of the worst days of my life' and wondered if it was just me as everyone told me it would be one of the best days of my life! Who are they trying to kid??? I found the heat unbearable and to be honest until you start to see the sights of London, you could be anywhere... by the time I felt like it was London I was struggling so much I didn't care/notice... I must admit that seeing Buckingham Palace and the last 200m was SWEET ;0) All that for an enjoyable 200m of which the last 100m I managed to find something in my legs to sprint and make it under 4:50 at 4:49:30, phew...
  • TT: I suffered nausea and dizziness and think it was a mixture of the heat and being pre-menstrual didn't help as my body temp was already 2-3 degrees higher. I also found dodging people who were walking more work and drustrating... Had to slow down otherwise risked ending up a guest of St. John Ambulance with rectal thermometer in situ.... You should be treated like a celeb after what you achieved yesterday...long may it last!
  • drustrating = frustrating
    obviously my fingers are tired from yesterday ;-)
  • my fifth FLM, and my 55th mara

loved half of it, hated tthe other half

and yes i was disappointed with my time

BUT

Im in running for the long term, and i llok forward to my next race

you have to adapt to the conditoions on the day, and, as i always say-you can train perfectly, but the marathion is an unpredictable beastie which bites back
  • As ever, wise advice from the hippo.....
  • Dp Dp and anyone else who is feeling down after yesterday - DON'T BE!!!

Seriously, yesterday was TOUGH. It was my 15th marathon and 5th FLM and the one I have enjoyed the least. I was perhaps in the best shape I have ever been for a marathon and fully expected and capable of getting a pb. That went out of the window at about 30k. I felt so ill and depleted and mentally ravaged that I wanted to cry BUT I finished. I was 16 minutes off the time I wanted, which was 3.40, but today I am happy with my sub 4. I was 2 mins slower than last year but the run was so much harder and totally unenjoyable for me. Trust me, you cannot measure the average marathon on yesterday.

S3oB is talking sense!

You did it - be proud of your medal!!!!!
  • i had also planned for a sub four hour time i had put the most amount of training in ever for this and felt great on time till i got to 17 miles and the heat did it felt sick and ill had to walk and drink for a while then recovered enough to run/walk and finished in 4 hours 44 mins was the hardest marathon i have ever done and i did feel a bit down about the time but i had a great race the crowds helped me all the way and i loved it coming over tower bridge got all emotional was so tired i cried nearly all the way along the road to the finish line and then had to lie down to recover as i thought i was going to pass out but still had a great day noone should be down on themselves over the time it was a hot day and how many pople do acually get to run and finish a marathon anyway ? thanks to all the marshalls, drinks station people , people at the expo , kids handing out sweets and cheering me on and thanks to the other runners who kept me going , they are all superstars who made the day for me , now i am thinking of the next race well as soon as i have recovered to get up and down the stairs properley !!!! well done to everyone who ran it !!!
  • I was hoping for sub-3.30 and definitely in shape for something between 3.30 and 3.45, and came away with 4.23.53. And I definitely didn't enjoy everything about the day. I didn't enjoy feeling overheated, or the way the heat set my nerves on edge so that the world's best street-party felt uncomfortably crowded and noisy. I didn't enjoy the moment when I realised that sub-3.30 was off the agenda, or the moment when I realised that sub-3.45 and sub-4 were also off the agenda. I didn't enjoy standing up at the end and discovering that I'd sat on a discarded chunk of sticky Geo bar that had blended perfectly with the beige gravel in the repatriation area and it was glued to me. I didn't enjoy seeing the atmosphere among the runners becoming just a little bit bad-tempered at times as the conditions and the crowding took their toll.

But overall? My memory is that I had a fantastic day, didn't get sunburned or dehydrated, and made a conscious decision to play conservatively rather than gambling with the hand I'd been dealt on the day. And the organisation and support just can't be faulted. I still love FLM :o)
  • I didnt enjoy last years so didnt enter this years

Ive ticked the FLM done it box
    Ive found out I like the training distance and the race but no London for me again
  • Oh Velociraptor, that made me laugh! And Bambina Ferrari and others hae made me feel miles better too!

I felt guilty for hating it as much as I did but I'm still very proud for having run it all - I only began running a bit at the end of the year and properly training in January. NOW I know that what I actually acheived was something to cherish - a 4:20 first marathon in sweltering, uncomfortable conditions.

Much of the course could indeed have been anywhere and I could have cheerfully punched many a cigarette-smoking, beer-swilling spectator (if I'd had the energy) but from Lower Thames Street to the end it was lovely and I'd happily do that bit again!

Now, I'm looking forward to re-gaining my life and the use of my legs for the next fortnight before training starts for the summer!
  • Marathons are hard. I didn't particularly 'enjoy' FLM last year, but then I do races to get the after-glow and the personal achievement rather than skip around the course smiling, giving high fives and soaking up the atmosphere. Maybe this is what running (FLM in particular) has become now? A 'must-do' mass-particiption event with a box to tick rather than a traditional race to challenge and use to improve performance? When I race I run flat out and expect it to hurt, but I understand that people have different goals. I'm rambling now.

There are points in FLM which really made it all worth while - the start, Tower Bridge, the Embankment and the Mall. Also, the people that make the day a special one - the crowds and the organisers.

The rest was so-so, but all races I've ever done have been like that. They ain't sightseeing trips, they are races. It's during those points that I concentrate on actually getting throught the miles and onto the next milestone.
  • I was personally disappointed with my time (45 mins over my pb got me over 5 hrs) and I was pretty gutted yesterday, but on reflection I think I did the best in the circumstances - the heat was awful and I was sick twice which obviously didn't help! Two other girls from my club also finished well over their target time and reading all your stories has made me realise we were all in the same boat. Michelle - I have to agree about the cigarette smoking and beer drinking - I think I took a lungful of cigarette smoke just before I was sick and that really finished me off...

*However* - the bug is still there, I'm looking forward to the next time and I also want to do some more much smaller marathons this year to appreciate the difference.
  • Michelle: don't get me started on the fat, beer drinking, smoking brigade some of whom were shouting at one male runner who was taking a breather to walk 'come on mate, keep going this is a marathon your supposed to be running'. I didn't have to say anything, the look I gave them said it all!!!

Velociraptor: I too just wish I could have been more relaxed and enjoying it to soak up the atmosphere and appreciate the crowds but I felt so awful they just annoyed me. I appreciate all they did now but at the time they were just irritating :0(

I have actually been looking for another marathon in the autumn to do and hopefully enjoy although yesterday I was never going to do one again... I need to prove to myself I can do better and that won't be hard after yesterday, believe me...