Did anyone else NOT enjoy yesterday?

12346»

Comments

• Hi all
    Just read right trough the thread and like everyopne else, it makes you feel better knowing that you are definitely not alone.
    I was hoping of rsub 4 approx 3.58 and ended up coming in at 4.38. Just couldn'h handle the heat, kept my pace to around 16 miles then fell back and found myself run/walking for the rest, didn't hit the wall it was simply too hot for me. As you went round you could see so many casualties that you just didn't want to become one, so I gues slower times were the sensible option!
    already thinking about next year....anyopne done Dublin??
    Well done everyone for finishing without too many problems.
    Take care
    Dee
  • dublin is great
    i recommnend it
  • Reading this thread has made me feel a lot better!.

I was thru 15 miles in 2:15 and was aiming for 3:50, so was feeling pretty good, until I literally ran out of juice!. I managed to keep running, but dropped from 8.20 miles to around 10.30!!!

I took on a lot of water before I finally felt reasonably normal again, and from 20 miles onwards got my times down to 9:15 again.

I was, and still am pleased that I managed to finish in 4:15.

I will definitely be doing London again - I enjoy it, although I thought this year was much better than last.

I will beat 4 hours for London.

Al
  • feel so much better after seeing so many people in the same boat as me i feel a bit ashamed now about being so disappointed with my time when a young guy died after the marathon and over 50 people got taken to hospital and over 5,ooo people were seen by the st john ambulance staff , when i went into work people were amazed i had done it and thought it was fantastic what i had done in that heat and then i thought i did it and will do it again i think everyone who ran it was amazing in terrible conditions and like i said before the crowds and the marshalls and all of the st john ambulance people were fantastic so i shall be applying again next year and having another go!!!
  • Glad it wasn't just me. This was my second FLM but my fourth marathon and had trained feeling really strong and up for smashing my PB. But I sm very Scottish (i.e. rain is in my blood) and temperatures in double figures have me reaching for my factor 50 never mind over the 20 mark. I tried to keep calm, then blew it by going out too fast - tried to keep to my 4 hour pace band despite the fact that i ended up running all over the place and of course having to slow down everytime there was a loo stop or water point. Everything was going well at 12 miles - by 13 it was all over.

I kind of gave up then and tried to slow right down and try and enjoy the event but somehow you never quite get that time clock out of you mind. I was walking a lot yet everytime I started to run I would try and pick up the pace (!!!!) I have certainly run in worst weather (i.e.hotter and more humid) and got terrible times at those events too. So shouldn't be surprised.

End of the day 4 45 compard to last years 4 11 - disaster but I certainly had a few good moments that are all I remember now that the pain is over. I think it's a bit like child birth in that respect. They hang that damn medal round your neck and you forget all the pain. Roll on the next one.
  • First FLM - was on track for 4:00 - 4:30 but slipped on a water bottle at about 18 miles and twisted my ankle. Finally finished in ..... 6:57.
    Won't be doing this one again though: Wolverhampton in September, only 18 quid and no DLR/ExCel.
  • Haven't seen anything from Gebreselassie on here yet - don't think he had a particularly good day either.
  • Ian Morton- Sound like your day was like mine! Took me 6hr 9mins I was running well up to 18-20 miles then it took me 1hr 20 mins to get to the finish.
    At least we can all say we beat Gebresalassie!

• I think when you put so much time and effort into training for a marathon you just feel like you deserve everything to go as planned. Such a shame that something as unreliable as the weather can spoil the day for so many people. When footballers have a bad day they can rectify it by playing well the next week. Marathon runners have to wait so much longer for another crack at it.

Much like other people on this thread all was going to plan for me (target: sub 3:15) until mile 16. The wheels really fell off around mile 18 and I cramped up twice in the last 4 miles. Finished over 22 minutes outside my target. Would love to do this race every year but its so hard to get in through the ballot.
  • I loved it, every second. I suffered a massive amount of abdo pain after 17/18miles, probably overdid the gels and energy drink. I also blew up big style at around 30-35km and ended up 27mins over my target. BUT I DON'T CARE. It was my first marathon and I had no firm expectations on the time after missing 10weeks of training through injury. It's annoying to have missed my time but so what, I'll be better prepared for next year now.

I'll agree that sometimes the crowd were a bit "in your face" when i wanted to get back into my head and concentrate on my running. But without the same crowd I doubt I'd have gone all the way to the end.

On the (mega) plus side for me wa sthat so many other people missed their targets by a bigger margin than me. I know a few sub 4 runners who were just minutes ahead of me. I'm super proud of my acheivements, not only the time but the fundraising I've done too.