BananaMan Triathlon

Comments

• Oh gawd. Better get on and enter this. Then worry about training and squeezing into wetsuit. Nowt like leaving it til last minute. ho hum.
  • I did the Times Women Only yesterday, at the same distance at this one. I wanted to do this one too, but HR events are sooo expensive! i cant justify another 55 smackers on a third HR event this year.....

Was a good race yesterday, apart from a cross wind which picked up at aropund 15km on the bike.....swim was good...is really quite fun running down a wet pontoon, trying not to fall over and then leaping back in....no dignity...

Was very muddy yesterday, but everyone was in great spirits.....

My bum hurts today though. I need a different saddle, but sit bones are sore 8-(

good luck everyone!

tri black hat
  • I did the sprint yesterday, excellent fun, my first open water swim race was really good although think I need to speed the swim up, embarrasingly slow compared to bike and run.
    I have entered this one as well looking forward to it
  • well done rowrex! It is a great venue isnt it? I did my first event there.......

dont worry about your swim time. If you look at the results for the long distance you will see that the woman who WON the event took over 19minutes for her swim time.
    Fleming, Mariella
    Swim 00:19:10 107 51
    Bike 00:48:03 1 1
    Run 00:26:58 1 1
    Total time 01:34:13

The person who is fastest out of the water is rarely first across the line....(for this category i dont think the first out of the water actually fininshed!)

Well done!
  • that makes me feel alot better
    I was 2nd on the bike and 7th on the run in my category so could probably try to speed the run up a bit, fairly happy with my bike but can always aim to be the quickest!
  • Anyone else get their email today wit the race word doc that was attached; getting a little close now ;-)

This week will have to be my hardest weeks training and then 2 weeks taper (from the bike at least) :-)))

How's everyone else doing?
  • I did... and it really is getting close. What is everyone planning for a taper? Is it really neccesary to taper for 2 weeks??
    I'm going fairly well GMI... had my first session with the Leicester Triathlon Club at their Thursday night swim session last night, and boy was it tough! Speed wise I was ok and I'm ok doing distance now, but I really struggled with the interval sessions. Managed to complete half and then moved into the technique pool, somewhat beasted!! Still, I'm sure it was all very good for me and I've got my first open water session on Saturday which will be cool.
    Now - let the weather improve so I can get some much need miles on the bike!
  • Where are you going OW Red?

My swimming is still pony. I may attempt to crawl it all but 800m will take me about 20 mins!!!!!

Ive had a stinky cold, and still have the cough so thats held me up a bit, but not enough to have made a difference. The bike I should be ok on, but for someone who has run a 1.35 half mara, my running pace is pants at the moment.

However Im treating it as a training race, and Im not going to taper at all if thats any help, as I just want to train through it.

Im off in the last but 1 wave by the looks, being an oldie of 40!
  • Open water swimming in Leicester fortunately-there's a couple of good local spots and the club go to Watermead park every saturday morning between 7.30 and 9.30 (am !!). It's about 1k round apparently so perfect....

Think I'm doing the same with Bananaman - am hoping to do Bala Oly as my main race in September (though I'm a bit strapped at the mo with money going on all things Tri!!!) Trying to stave of entering Bala until the end of July to help the cash flow - and pray there's still spots available. If not, it'll be Northampton or Brighton which are all on the same weekend.

Also doing Derby (New Mills) sprint 2 weeks after this - anyone else entering that?

What else are you doing this year Bassy? Think i'm off in at 11 in the 30-34's... such a sociable time. Should be perfect for you to catch me up on the bike!
  • 12:00 start for me

erm, was I supposed to train for this?

If so, I've done a very bad job!

Had a carp run and a carp swim this week, and have only been out on my bike once since Blenheim

And next week looks pretty busy

Going for a 'get round' then... :-S
  • Know what you mean Pink.

Spent more time fettling Phillipa. Shes added some carbon bits and bobs in an effort to attract the Stallion away from other admirers.

Im doing Brighton I think Red on 15th Sept or thereabouts.
  • lol at Phillipa making herself pretty for The Italian! :-D

Might come along and watch Brighton - see if it's one for next year.
  • Looks like I'm in the same wave as Bassy and I hope the marshalls aren't planning on getting away early. I know I have the distance quite easily but it's just my pace...

I'm not tapering as I'm starting mara training so cannot really have a couple of weeks off as my times as so pants.

Sounds like the training is coming along Red!

I think I'll be registering as Pink sets off :-)

So who has got pirate kit to wear?
  • Ok, then 6 days and counting :). How's everybody feeling and are we all ready?

• I did stupid amounts of cycling yesterday! So im burned out, never mind, should be a chuckle!
  • Bassy - tell me about it. I did a full rehearsal yesterday and feeling very drained today. Still a few days to recover - going to take it fairly easy toward the end of the week I think. Still not done enough miles on the bike, but am I right in thinking the bike course is essentially flat?!? I'm covering 30k in around 1hr5 on a pretty hilly route so should be ok (I think!!).

How many RW forumites have we got going do we think??
  • Im just treating it as a fast training brick I think. I would imagine the bike to be flat as its round the lake it cant be too up and down? The swim (as per normal) will be my downfall, I dont expect to be out of the water in less than 20mins, the fighting out of wettie in race situation should be a kodak moment, and then onto the bike which I will just blast out as best I can. The run, well its running init? Its not like loads of miles so we will see.

• The bike is pancake flat apart from a tiny little bridge you go over once on each lap. It is quite windy though.

The run is also pancake flat and last year they didn't have any water at all apart from at the finish. Just to let you know in case it is as hot as last year (28-30 degrees I think)
  • Cheers for that FS. Make sure ive got plenty of fluid on the bike then.
  • Judging by the bumpf we've been sent it looks the same re the fluid refreshment on the run - say's SIS gels and drinks at the finish... fat lot of use there is the expression that springs to mind.
    Saying that, the weather does not great for Sunday with showers likely (again).
    Thanks for the info FS.

• oh, and maybe this is just me being a bit of a spaz but counting to 6 laps wasn't difficult but it was a bit of a burden. Especially when my supporter tried to convince me half way through the run that i'd only done 5 laps of the bike course so it might be an idea to put some bits of tape on your bike to pull off after each lap or something?

It was also the race where I got the strangest and most unwelcome thing in my goodie bag. A pot noodle. Not only was is swelteringly hot, but nobody had a kettle!
  • Lol Firestar... I'm sure I got one at the Great South Run a few years ago. Even better, at the expo for the FLM this year the pre-race goody bag contained a can of london pride! I'm sure this would have been better received at the finish!

Ok, so you count your own laps... what's to stop people disappearing off after 4 or 5 laps and a super quick bike time?

• Let em Red, they are only cheating themselves. Although I suppose the organisers would spot any outrageous attempts
  • I think there's a timing mat so you cant cheat but they wont direct you in when you're done so you have to count your own.
  • I could just imagine I'll be the one who does 7 laps! I guess best thing to do is time your first lap and you'll know (give or take a few minutes) what lap you're on. Assuming, you maintain a relatively steady pace that is.
    Tape may be the one for me I think FS.

Do they have bracelets for the run FS, or is it the same scenario?
  • same scenario, but counting to 3 when moving veeeeerrrryyy slowly seemed a lot less complicated :o)
  • Your getting confused FS, I think you mean veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrry slowly.
  • Do you remember that marshall Barlos? "you run, HE talks!" lol :o)
  • I find it tres annoying that my running isn't any faster than my walking.