Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Hi Mandie, I think I remember you from last year's thread. I take it you enjoyed it then!
  • Mandie and I were so keen last year that we got our entries in early enough to have our names on the top line of the t-shirts.

Not sure if I was quick enough this year.

I remember one of my little girls being more impressed by my name on the shirt than my exploits in the run :0(

It's an unusual pairing, Jennsie, but we run well together. Unlike most penguins though, my friend can fly when she gets going.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I must admit I'm hoping to be on the first line!

She could always jump on your hump if she gets tired too couldn't she? (ooh, missus)
  • ooh, missus indeed,
    not sure at all what Mrs XL would say to that.
  • Hi Jennsie - yes love this race, and cant wait to do it again.

Hi XL - I hoping I'm on the top line again - it feels like ages since I entered this !
  • Hi folks

I did a pb at this one last year...absolutely loved it...did a pb...2hrs25...debating whether or not to do this one...just been out today after a 6 month lay off so not sure whether I will be up to it
  • Plenty of time to get ready for it Morgs,
    don't expect a PB after your long lay off - just go out and enjoy it, and if you get a good time too, that's just a big bonus.
  • You're right XL...October is a fair way off...and it was fab last year...I guess thats my arm twisted :-)
  • And plenty of time for your arm to get better too.
    I hope I didn't twist too hard
    ;0)
  • Hopefully I will get to meet a few of the people who post on here this year...unfortunately I didnt make it to the meeting point last year
  • Will be doing this, we usually take a coach up from Liverpool Running Club.

Good day out as well as a cracking race.
  • Hey, Can I join the thread?

I live in Barrow (south cumbria) I have just started running properly and I was just wondering if I could join your world as I am planning on The Carlisle Half Marathon on been my first! Its my home run I guess and I think its my nearest one.

Erm... Can I play?
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Course you can Derrick! Welcome to the mad world of the forum and prepare to become completely addicted - to running and to foruming!

I did this race for the first time last year and it was my first half. Absolutely loved it and gave me a great deal of satisfaction, also spurred me on to greater things and did the London marathon this year, so beware...!
  • This race... I haven't done it before or any race at all. I am training for a few 5k's and such like... What do you reccomend that I do, I am literally pooing my pants about this... Is 6 months long enough to get ready for a Half mara... Also can you do it for a charity? In the past I have done some mad walks for Starlight (the childrens wish charity) Just wondered if I could make a few quid for them at the same time! Thanks for your help!
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I think you can run any race for charity if you've got people to ask for sponsorship. There are some 'official' charities attached to this race - a local hospice and Cumbria cerebral palsy - but you can run for whoever you like.

Six months is ages to train for a half marathon. What kind of running are you doing at the moment? You need to start doing a longer run once a week from about 16 weeks before, plus a couple of shorter, faster runs as well if you can. Just build up slowly and you'll be fine.
  • Cool... I will get the papers rolling then for the work. Right now I am running just under 2 miles, I did 1.85miles in 16min 26secs. Kinda pants like but I am going to do a 6km run later in the week just to stretch the legs and see how it feels. I am kinda over whelmed by the distance but the buzz I will get at the end is going to be great!

Thanks
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    You've got loads of time so by the time you get to the race you'll be comfortably running 10-12 miles - just go really slowly until you're used to running for longer distances. Sounds like you're going a bit quickly at the moment - rubbish at maths, what does that work out at? Less than 10 minute miles? I do my long slow runs at 10.5 or even 11 minute mile pace - can keep going for ages at that sort of speed!
  • Hi Derrick,
    six months is more than enough time to get up to distance for this. 2 miles at just over 8 min/miling is not 'pants'
    I would recommend that you aim to be up to about 5 miles in the next 6 weeks or so. Don't worry about the 13 yet.
    When I did my first half (Great North Run 2002, I didn't run further than 5 miles until 6 weeks before the race. Managed it in 2h 13)
  • I was just going to say the sam eas jens too, taht pace is a bit quick
    9:09 / mile will get you round in under 2 hours.
  • What kind of pace do I want to be aiming for? I thought 9 MM was ok? My breathing was a bit mullered but I was ok. I am entering a few 5k runs to get used to social running.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    XL-man better at maths than me, clearly!

For longer runs I'd aim at 10 minute miles (even if that feels too slow) and build up by .5 miles per week until you get to 10 miles or so. A lot of people only train to 10 miles, I actually did 13 last year because I needed to know I could do it, but you don't have to.

Keep your faster pace for shorter distances and 5k races!
  • ok that sounds fine. So 10 MM is the target. What about breathing my efforts in breathing is pants. I am spluttering and everything. Will that get better as the pace slows?

Also... you guys are heros? Where you all from? I live in Cumbria, Barrow to be pricise.
  • (I teach sums for a living, Jen)

If it helps Derrick, I do most of my trainnig at 8:30 - 9 minute miles, but I can sustain 7 min miling for 10k and my half PB is 1:49:04
    It really is important to keep your long runs steady to build up your stamina withut risk of injury
  • I'm in Newcastle, but will be making my 3rd trip across to Cumbria for this one. It's a 'must do' race in my calendar now.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I'm in Manchester - I know, miles away! Hubby's parents live in Arnside though so we kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, and visit them on the way. Its must-do for me too.

I'm doing another half in June - Freckleton - which I imagine is going to be pretty warm!

You're speedy XL-man, as well as clever at sums! My PB is only 2.15, but I'm getting faster...
  • Fetch man you guys are both fast! I was aiming for like 2hrs 45secs! But in the words of Ron Burgndy "when in Rome"
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Nah, you'll be much quicker than that Derrick. <wanders off wondering who Ron Burgndy is>
  • <scratches head, let me now if you find out, Jen>

I ran 11, once only a fortnight before my first half. I was fairly confident the crowds and atmosphere would get me through the last two. Running with a friend also makes a difference. The GCR is obviously a lot quieter than the GNR, so I can understand anyone wanting to be certain they can manage the distance before the day. Don't run long within the last fortnight though.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    You haven't been on the counting thread much lately XL - and you and dan dan have so much in common I think!
  • It took me over 3 years to set that time, Jen (And I was disappointed not to beat it last year) - hoping to go under 1:45 in Amsterdam this year, the week after Carlisle :0)

How we compare with each other though doesn't matter. None of us will ever be challenging the elites. As long as we continue to get something rewarding out of all this then, as Derrick said, 'We're all heroes'