Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• no, you're right, I have been nelecting my numerophilic duties.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    You're right about times, although it took me a long time to stop worrying that I was too slow, especially when entering races. Now I'm not bothered (although I've also speeded (sped?) up quite a lot over the last year or so.
  • It's all about perspective for me. I am keen to get quicker, I'll bust a gut in speed sessions on the treadmill, and work hard for PBs in races, but, what I've never done is compared myself with faster better runners. I admire many of them, and I'm inspired by others, but I don't worry about the fact that I'll never be as quick as some.

Similarly I'm just as impressed by someone who posts on the forum to say they're chuffed to have stayed under 13:30 min/mile for a half marathon, because I know how much they've put into their training to achieve that.

I think it's a real shame when someone who has worked hard to train for an event, and maybe knocked a big chunk off a PB, then plays down their own achievements by saying " I'll never be as good as 'X' "
  • What was it that made you stop worrying, then?
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Not sure, just feeling more confident and enjoying myself more I think. That came with training more - I used to be a bit on-and-off with running - I'd train up for a 10k and then do nothing for 6 months afterwards.

Last year I went to hold the coats at the Wilmslow half, that lots of people I knew were doing, and I was SO-OO jealous when they all ran off that I thought "right, that's it - I'm gonna take this seriously now". This year I did the Wilmslow half in 2.14 and then the London Marathon in 5.56.46. Hardly world-beating times but hey... at least I was there!
    :o)
  • Great stuff. the magic word is 'enjoy' isn't it?
    Well done on the Wilmslow half - and london too. You've done something I'll never do if you've completed a marathon.
    (Nutter!)

;0)
  • Right, my shoes are on. Off for a brisk 3 miler

TTFN
  • Guy... you have really helped me and inspired me, I know realise that I will get what I work for and I will achive what I put the effort into. I am looking to get 2hrs 30mins and we will have to arrange a meeting place.
  • Ron Burgundy is the lead Charater in the Film THE ANCHORMAN. Will Ferrell ect ect.
  • OK, still none the wiser, but thank you for trying :0)

After five years of continuing to improve, Ive decided to stop telling myself there are limits to what I can achieve. I know I'll find those limits some day, but I've given up trying to guess what they might be.

Good luck to you, Derrick
    Maybe see you in October
  • Hey I am going to try and meet as many peeps as possible from the forum at the GCR.
  • Hello all,

Derrick you seem pretty speedy to me! I did my first 10K a couple of weeks ago, and it took me 1:15:28! So about 12min miles. I started to feel a bit deflated because folk I know that did the race were doing it in 40mins, but then i saw sense and realised they are much fitter/slimmer etc. i was really chuffed cos i managed to run the whole way without having to walk! I'm hoping to do this race in 2:30 or thereabouts if possible. Hoping i'll be a nit lighter and hence a tad faster by then. Main reason I run though is 'cos it makes me feel great, so not too fussed about time. As XL-Man says, we may never challenge the elites, but who cares!!!
  • Yeah man, I just want to run and have fun make new friends, see a bit of the country, race in places I have never heard of (eventually, mess my knees and shins up. just that kind of reasons too. Plus I want to shed 2 maybe 3 stone of body fat.
  • How to read race results

to boost your ego - look at the times of younger folk who are slower than you

to preserve your modesty and guard against arrogance - look at the times of the older folk who have beaten you !

I like to do both
    :0)
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Lol that's good advice! I like to do both too.
  • hellooo, i'm doing this again really enjoyed this last year after disappointing GNR time and then a saunter up Coniston week before.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Hello Kev, I remember you from last year's thread I think - how are you doing?
  • I'm back for another shot of this one. Really enjoyed it. Starting and finishing in the statdium is a nice touch, especially being able to get a shower afterwards. I'm starting to recover from the Edinburgh Marathon on Sunday which was brilliant. If anyone wants a flat course for a first marathon then I recommend it.

Hoping to get just under 1.35 for Cumbrian Half this time. 1.30 just might be a little too quick for me. I ran 1.36 here last year.
  • E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

hello......

can i play on this thread

(please)

• *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Course you can, although I think it might have temporarily died!

Have you done this race before?
  • Afternoon all

Haven't been about of late.Ive had loads of bother with my new broadband provider.Hopefully the gremlins have gone and im up and runnin again.

Training going well for mablethorpe marathon at the end of september.

Hope everyone is fit and well.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Not too bad Mick, though struggling a bit after being ill with tonsilitis and a vomitty thing - got Freckleton half Sunday week and wondering whether to do it tbh. Had a totally 'orrible run today... :o(

Glad you're doing ok.
  • Jen-it sounds like you may well be still suffering from your bug.You may well find its better to take a few days off and rest up.Your body will thank you later with a cracking run!!!
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I really want to do Freckleton so perhaps I'll just see how it goes for now rather than sell my number (its allowed!). Somebody else said do 4/5 miles on Sunday and 7/8 on Tuesday or Wednesday and if they go OK go ahead with Sunday's race. What do you think of that plan?
  • evening all
    take it easy jen,
    that comeback plan sounds a little heavy to me.

I think I'd be looking at 5 or 6 this weekend,(maybe 7 if it goes really well) if that's too much, you're unlikely to be fit for a half just one week later, if it goes well, then a gentle midweek 3 or 4 just to keep things ticking over.

You know yourself better than anyone though.

Get well soon :0)
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Thanks Camel. I thought I was over it but it must have taken quite a lot out of me. Never mind. Yes, perhaps a 5/6 on Sunday and a short trot on Wednesday if that goes OK.

Its strange because I did 5 miles on Wednesday this week and felt absolutely fine. It was from about 7 miles on that I struggled today.
  • I'm no expert, but to me that seems to be a sign that you're on the mend (i.e. fine at 5 miles or so) but not quite fully fit yet.

I'd be loathe to miss an event, so I'd be looking to preserve what energy I do have by not going too far this weekend. You can't make yourself fitter for Freckleton at this late stage anyway, illness or not.

I hope it works out for you. If you do have a go, and it takes too much out of you, is it spoiling anything else in the near future?
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    No, its not. I don't have anything else planned until GCR. Oh, except a fell race on 1st September! Its in the Lake District and hubby is doing the competitive one but I'm only doing the 14k 'fun' version (can they be fun do you think?)
    Says its for walker and slow runners... did sound quite fun when he was telling me about it (and signing me up for it!)
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    *walker = walkers. Don't know who walker is!
  • Hmm, hills are for enjoying at a more sedate pace in my book.
    A good pair of stout boots and a hip flask would be my prefered kit.