Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Hi folks, haven't checked in for a while.

that sub-2 at Carlisle that Pengwyn is referring to is still looking good.
    We had a cracking 6.5 mile race on Wednesday at Newburn, Newcastle. Lovely evening, lovely course, and a lovely time too. We were aiming to run steadily and hoping to be around 59 minutes.
    As it turned out we ran fairly steadily for four or so, then it became a bit more like hard work. Finished in 57:10 :0))

Loos at the sports centre (Shepmount Stadium) where the race starts and finishes, Fiona.

The race was not chip timed in 2005 or '06. Tha sart line was difficultto see last year, but that was the only small grumble I had last year. The race leaflet for this year romisises this won't be an issue this year.

Hi, Millsy, good to 'see' you again. I have to say, this is one of the best organised races I've done. The trip across from Newcastle is one of the highlights of my running year.

Hello, Millsy -

• *jen
    'I can only dream of a sub-2 half' Don't give up on that dream.

I bet Pengwyn would have said something similar in 2002 when we finished the GNR in 2:13
    It's taken five years, but that target is truly realistic this time around.
    If you want it, you can get there, it's just a matter of time, and patience.

After October we always ease off the miles and take an easy winter. Then we start again in spring and make sure we do just a little bit more than the previous year.
    For example this year we have :-

run 4.5 miles instead of 4 for our 'usual' tempo runs

added a little bit to the start of all our longer training runs too

kept up with a weekly speed session in the gym in the evening rather than switching to short outside runs when the evenings got light enough.

These three changes have brought huge benefits this year.

Seems I got a little echo on my previous post - not trying to suggest you're hard of hearing, Millsy.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    That's good to hear Camel. I was disappointed with my time at Freckleton but it was a hot day and I'd been ill recently so perhaps I shouldn't give myself too hard a time.

I've just started doing some speed sessions and have made a promise to myself that I'll do them weekly (even though I find them really hard) up until October and see if I can get my PB down.

Hi Millsy, I hoped you'd be along soon!
  • I said, I wasn't trying to suggest you are hard of hearing !!

;0)
  • 2:14 on a hot day, after illness. I think you're right - you don't deserve a hard time, from yourself or anybody else.

What are the speed sessions you're doing?
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Bit of warm up and then 6 x 400m in 2.14 or less with 2 minutes recovery in between. Going to increase the reps a little bit each week, up to 12. What do you think?

Did it today and kept to the pace quite well, even on the last one. Was hard though!
  • My first thought is that 400 reps are a bit short for half marathon training.
    (I'm no expert mind)

I have four different interval sessions that I do (variety helps with the tedium of a run in the gym - I do my speedwork on a treadmill.)
    One of these is a 5 x 800m rep with 400m recoveries
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I might build up to those a bit nearer the time - got a 5k next Thursday first! Only just got below 28 minutes for that distance so you can see what a plodder I am - mind you I am 56 and only started running at 50 so - again - probably shouldn't beat myself up too much.

(although when I see what Ceal can do...)
  • Ceal is, and should be, an inspiration. It's terrific what she has done, and continues to do.

But, there will be a hell of a lot of people who would be (righty) impressed by a lady starting to run at 50 and still getting quicker 6 years later !!
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I do allow myself a little smile about that sometimes! Mind you, I didn't start running 'properly' until about 18 months ago... might be able to go on to untold feats, you never know!

Actually I do have some goals: a sub 25min 5k, a sub 50 min 10k, a sub 2 hour half mara and (maybe) a 4.5 hour marathon. Modest goals, see? ;o)

I can plod on forever at 11.5 min/mile pace - its going a lot quicker than that for any distance that defeats me at the moment. And I don't think that's my age, its my reluctance to do speed work and tempo runs.. (at least that's what my hubby says, but he's probably right).
  • Hey, why not. Ceal started running at 61 - so you've got a head start on her.

Nothing too modest about those, and when you achieve them, you can set new targets.

Pengwyn and I added speedwork to our training after our first year, I'm sure it helped. She didn't enjoy the treadmill runs and kept them below 20 minutes, but this year she has 'bitten the bullet' and now does the same workouts I've been doing - about 3.5 miles in total. She's clocked 13 PBs in training and races since February !
  • just looking at the difference between your steady pace (11:30 min/mile) and your 400m rep speedwork pace (8:56 min/mile)

that's a huge difference.
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I should have said that 11.5 m/m is my long slow run pace - e.g. 10-12 miles, and up when I was marathon training - rather than 'steady' which is more like 10.5 m/miles - which I can probably maintain for 5/6 miles (I get the terminology muddled up!)

So less startling but still quite a big gap?

Should I be trying to get the other speeds up or will that happen naturally if I do the speedwork?
  • I think the terminology slip was mine, 'steady' was probably not the correct term for your LSR pace.

By way of illustration. Pengwyn and I have just run at about 8:45 for 8 miles, I'm hoping to be close to 9:00 for 13 in October. On a half mile rep speedwork session, she runs around 8:00 / mile.

My feeling is, (and let me repeat, I'm no expert) that your fast 400s are too fast to be of much benefit to your longer runs.
    Give this a try if you like the look of it

5 x 1/2 mile reps @ 10 min/mile, with 1/4 mile jog recoveries
    You should find the fist three comfortable, the 4th a bit harder and finish the 5th knowing that you can't do another one.
    If those speeds are too easy, then you'll know by the end of the 3rd rep, so push a little faster on the last two reps.

If you give it a go, let me know how you get on. We also have three other sessions that we rotate for variety.
  • Jen
    There are loads of ideas for speed sessions plus lots of other great stuff on www.runningforfitness.org.
    Personally I would stuggle to do the speedwork I do without my speedwork group who keep me going, the few sessions I've done on my own have not been very enjoyable and have been extremly hard. The work I've been doing though has brought about hugh rewards - 1.30 off my 5k time and almost 7 mins off my 10k so far this year. Our group trains for 5k up to 1/2 marathon and our sessions vary from 20 x 400 at 5k pace with short recovery up to 3 x 2 miles at 10k pace 10% recovery, with lots of 800 and 1 mile sessions too. The oldest member of our group,67, did his best 10k time for 9 years last month so it definitely works.
    Best of luck
  • The race split calculator is fab
  • *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fiona, I agree its a great site. I've printed off a training plan based on a target of a 2 hour half marathon - looks a bit scary but I'll give it a go!

You're so right about sessions on your own being hard. Its what I have to do at the moment, because the running club I go to doesn't do any speed work. But I'm looking into going to train with Sale Harriers (sending hubby to recce it for me next week!) who aren't that far away. If they can cater for somebody at my level I'll definitely start going.

Thanks for your input you two - really helpful :o)
  • First race yesterday. It's official - I'm now hooked, this is the next challenge - I'm in.

(I'm also addicted to forums so I hope this stays lively).
  • Hi Rob,
    welcome to the thread.
    What was your race? How did you get on?
  • Afternoon all

Hello Millsy-glad to see you back on this thread.You name the meeting point and I'll be there.

Hello XL nice to see you again.

Welcome along Rob.
  • Hola,

I'm a total newbie so apologies for butting in - not yet sure of Forum etiquette!

I did my first ever race yesterday after starting running a few weeks ago, and feel hooked - wish I'd discovered it sooner! Managed 10k in 1h 3m, not quite the hour I'd hoped for but not far off so really pleased.

Anyway, I spotted this race last week and am thinking of entering as it sounds great, but not sure if its too much of a leap from 10k yesterday to half mara in Oct - too much too soon? How long were you all running for before tackling this distance?
  • Welcome aboard Sally.

This is a perfect race for your first shot at a half marathon. It's about as flat as you'll find anywhere and there are plenty of water stattions/ changing facilities etc to make this a positive experience for you.

I think you've got plenty of time between now and October so go on, get yourself entered!

My first event over 20 years ago was the Great Cumbrian Run so I'd trained specifically for that distance.

I'm no expert in what you should do between now and October except to say that I'd recommend you gradually increase one of your runs each week up to around 10-12 miles. I would add that you make your last long run about 2 weeks before the event.

Go for it, it'll be great.
  • Stattions!!!! Too much rum methinks.
  • Sally-welcome along.
    I echo what Captain Haddock has said.
    With the right sort of training from now until Oct you'll be fine.
  • Fantastic - thanks both for the encouragement.

I'll get myself registered, need something to work towards and this sounds ideal, if not totally terrifying....aye aye Cap'n!
  • Hi Sally, sounds like we're pretty much in the same boat. I did the Leeds 10K as my first race yesterday in around an hour, but also slightly slower than I'd hoped. I did get frustrated by crowding and bottle-necks, but feel this sounds a bit much like an excuse. So, I really want to prove myself with this one, hopefully the same won't be the case here. And as I lived in Cumbriad for 18 years I'm pretty confident that too much sunshine won't be a problem.
  • Welcome aboard Sally
    Just to echo what the others said, you have plenty of time. When I did my first half marathon, GNR in Oct 2002, I did not go past 10k until August of that year.
  • I wouldn't bet on that Rob
    I entered GCR in 2005 & 2006 confident of a nice cool autumn run to go for a good time with a friend. Both days were scorchers.
    Running past country pubs at about 7 or 8 miles with people sitting outside with their nice cool pints, smiling at us ... tempting, very tempting.