Options

Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    thanks *jen! I'm taking part in the Race for Life on July 8th so i'll try to improve a wee bit more...flat course hopefully, so could be a possibility. Need to find a bit of a longer race (say another 10K) to fit in before this race. Off to scour some race calendars...!
  • Options
    5 minutes !!
    That's a terrific chunk to take off, whatever the course. Well done, you!
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Don't give yourself a hard time if you don't better it at RfL - its often difficult to get going in those events because of people getting in your way (in my experience) - they're fun to do but not 'proper' races if you know what I mean.

Enjoy it anyway!
  • Options
    Thanks XL-Man. And yeah, I know what you mean Jen. I'll not be too worried about my time on the day. I'm doing it with a couple of friends, and this is the first ever official 'race' for one of them, so we may run/walk it. Mind you, might end up doing a similar time with walk breaks! Will be interesting to see. I'm doing this one more for the enjoyment factor and also to raise a bit of money. feel free to sponsor us!

www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/leewaller

i'm just being cheeky now :-)
  • Options
    Hi folks,
    is it too early to be getting excited about this event?
    I went out for a 3 miler with Pengwyn on Tuesday, and we knocked 24s off our best time, set over a year previously. (This having just run 8 miles on Sunday morning)
    24:11 :0))

lcw75 - if hotmail is a problem, you could e-mail me at work if you prefer, I'll send the address to you.
  • Options
    good going XL-man, that was quick!!! Especially after a big run on Sunday. I don't think it is too early to be getting excited!

Cheers for the e-mail to...tho it just occurred to me that you must have e-mailed me via the forum which worked this time (i keep changing the e-mail address registered on this site). Hmm, confused now...not sure why it didn't work before. och well, I should be able to receive your schedule at work now, hopefully!
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    That's a great time for 3 miles - well done that camel and penguin! (I know you can gallop but penguins are better in the water)

Got my 5k race tonight. Part of a series called The Sale Sizzlers. Did three of them last year and got faster at each one (hubby got slower, heheh). Think my current PB is 27.50 so hoping to better that.

Luckily it won't actually be sizzling, nice running weather here, cool and breezy.
  • Options
    I think David Attenborough is looking to make a documentary, *jen
    "Flying penguin discovered in North-East England"

lcw - I can reach you at any address through RW, but your address is kept from me. In order to send you an attachment, (my schedule), I need your address, as I can't send attachments through, RW. So you will need to reply to one of my e-mails before I can send you the spreadsheet.

• Options
    Good luck in your 5k, Jen,
    lets hope you're 'sizzling' and reporting a PB to us later.
  • Options
    yeah I hope it goes well for you Jen :-)
  • Options
    Good luck Jen

Despite a cold and quite windy night in Lincoln last night I managed to knock 13 seconds off my pb and I'm now just 7 seconds away from my target. Speed training really works! It's good to do a series (there are 4 ours) as you can see progression and if you have a bad night you can look down the results and see that you're probably not the only one so it must have been the weather and not you.

Have a good one :)
  • Options
    Good luck Jen

Despite a cold and quite windy night in Lincoln last night I managed to knock 13 seconds off my pb and I'm now just 7 seconds away from my target. Speed training really works! It's good to do a series (there are 4 ours) as you can see progression and if you have a bad night you can look down the results and see that you're probably not the only one so it must have been the weather and not you.

Have a good one :)
  • Options
    All gone quiet?
    How did you get on, jen?
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Sorry, was away in Bristol.

Did OK, 28.04. Was a course record for me but not a PB. It was raining and windy and there was a very muddy bit that we had to go over twice. Given all that I was quite pleased with my time.
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    OK, another race report. Did another 5k today (yes, yes, I know...) and got a PB this time - 27.55 offical time. Yay!
    Very pleased actually, cos I was up at 5 am for the Smokefree England launch (I work for NHS stop smoking service) and was a bit tired before I even got to the race.
  • Options
    Well done on your pb Jen.Great running.You should be very proud of yourself.Bask in the glory.
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jen
    Well done, 2 races in a week, 1 course record and a pb - fantastic.
  • Options
    WOW! That is a fantastic time Jen. Especially after being up at the crack of dawn and also having run another race so recently. Well done!!!
  • Options
    Terrific stuff, Jen
    I'm thrilled for you, a course best in tricky conditions, then a PB
    Enjoy that well-deserved sense of satisfaction
    :0)

Also, if 28:04 wasn't a PB, but 27:55 was, then you weren't far away the first time.
    Huge congratulations, on both runs.
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Aww, thanks everyone. Still feeling a bit of a glow about it actually. Was a bit cross that I didn't go under 28 minutes for the first one cos I knew I had a bit more to give when I got to the end but hey... next goal: under 27 minutes!
  • Options
    My word - this thread has not only got started early but is up to full speed already!!

I'm like Millsy in that I thought to myself - start of July, about the right time for the GCR thread to be underway - and was flabbergasted when I logged on to see that it was not only underway but that there were 200 postings!!

And so, much reading later, I'm ready to join the fun and frolics of this most pleasant of threads for one of my favourite races! And how pleasant it is to see some familar names and have the chance to catch up again with some really nice folk - Mick, Millsy, XL Man, Plodding Happy to name but a few! And it looks as if there's the prospect of linking up with plenty of new names this year too - can't be bad!!

I'm going to give this one another go, having done so with much enjoyment for the past two years. I would endorse all of the earlier comments about the organisation of this race, the facilities, the course, the location etc. One of the things that I particularly like about this event though is the forum - which for the past two years has been fun and informative - and it looks as though this years will be no exception. A good forum like this one somehow seems to set the tone for the event and you approach it with a feel good factor which transcends into the race itself!

That said, I'm not approaching the race with any great targets in mind this year, given that I have yet to run properly this year! Thankfully this has not been because of illness or injury but for an altogether more pleasant reason...we had the arrival of a baby daughter in the spring and our household hasn't quite recovered since!!

Having read this thread from start to finish, I feel invigorated and really inspired to don my running kit again and get back out there (and hopefully lose some of the pounds that have appeared after six months of absence from running).
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Many congratulations Boycs! Hope little Boycs-ette is thriving and bringing you much joy.

I started the thread early because I very much enjoyed the race last year and wanted to enter as soon as I could and start building the excitement! It was my first half marathon (done two others since then) and I think it will always be special for that reason.

Now, we need Mike James on here to chat to us... ;0)
  • Options
    Great News, Boycs
    What a way to come back to the thread. Has little boycs been given a tiny pair of knitted running shoes yet then?
    ;0)

I agree with what you said about the thread 'setting the scene' too. It's great that these threads start so soon. This event has been the climax of my running year for two years now. This year it will be my penultimate event, and I'm already anticipating it with some excitement, due in no small way to the collective enthusiasm on this thread.

We're never happy, are we Jen? Always a new time to aim for. I'm sure you'll get to 27 in good time.

• Options
    Women are often able to achieve better times after having children, I definately view pain in a different way! Is it the same for men? You never know Boycs this could be your best race ever!
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    I think you actually have to go through the pain Fiona, but I might be wrong!
  • Options
    Experts have developed a machine that allows expectant fathers to share in the pain of childbirth. In tests they asked one father to volunteer to test the new technology. It works a bit like a TENNS machine. The father has a dial which he can adjust, and as he increases the setting more of the mother's pain is transfered to him.
    Doctors recommend that he starts at just 10%, as being a man, he has no experience whatsoever of labour. They are surprised to find that he copes easily at 10, 20 and even 50% pain levels. Mum is delighted as the pain of her labour eases with each adjustment.
    As her labour continues her loving partner willingly takes on more and more of the pain, and, much to everyone's amazement, with the dial at 100%, he shows no sign of discomfort as his wife delivers junior painlessly.

When they took their new bundle of joy home, they were dismayed to find the milkman dead on the doorstep.
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Hurrah! After much dilly-dallying I've finally taken the leap and have just registered for this race - I'm so excited and giddy, not to mention terrified!! (all reconfirmations that the course is relatively flat will be welcome)

Had best crack on with trying to break the 6-mile barrier in training....
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Well done Sally!

It is relatively flat. The only uphill bit I remember is coming out of the park near the end, up on to the bridge. That bit was quite steep (looked like Everest to me at the time!) but fairly short.