When did you decide to run?

I still remember the exact day I went out for a run for the first time.....do you?
It was a sunday in September 2004 and I had been thinking for a while that I really ought to take up some kind of sport to keep myself fit. Just finished the ironing, hubby was watching the football and I shouted through "I'm going for a run" It certainly got his attention. I had never run before apart from school. Couldn't run down the road then and now I am addicted...love it!!

Comments

• about end of 1992 - had just got a second hand pair of Hi Tec shoes, shorts and tee shirt. This was after a couple of days a bit scared to go out. It was for 5 mins but 40 a day at the time meant I managed about 3 mins.
  • I had decided a week before though having watched flm and got Cliff Temples book.
  • That's some time Hoose - think the FLM does tend to have that effect:O)
    What happened to the frst pair of HI tech shoes?
  • I actually cannot remember
  • long chucked Grum. - only got as far as 1/2 mara ish then got on a stop start for 15 years. Gonna do it now though:O)
  • Just over a year ago. I managed a couple of hundred yards and if my phone had had a signal I'd have called myself an ambulance!
  • DronachDronach ✭✭✭
    I would have called an ambulance too, but I don't think they'd invented mobile phones back then.
  • December 2005 when I stopped smoking. Couldn't keep still so thought I'd do a few laps of the park (v. small park). Managed half a lap then limped home. Began a beginner's schedule a few weeks later and can do more than half a lap now :-)
  • Good for you hoose!!
    Very funny Minty.
    Happy birthday hippo btw
  • Chris.52Chris.52 ✭✭✭
    Age 12-13 when I was told that it wouldn't be possible to do woodwork or art instead of rugby. I must have managed 300m very slowly before being forced to walk most of the rest of the way. About five years later of my own free will.
  • I first decided to start running on 11th September 2001, and did my first run - half a mile at 5mph on a treadmill - 9 days later.
  • Just sfter Christmas (and nothing to do with NY resolutions) 2005. I wish I ran more and raced more. I'm going to a half later this year having done a 10k last year in 50m.
  • hmm, i put on my trainers (found in cupboard) in june 05 ran in them realised i *had* to get *proper* running shoes, went to JJB, asked, hey, will these be ok for running *errm, yes, they said*

i was never going to keep it going anyway, soon as race that i entered under duress thru work was over i was out of it

• February 1987

I'd entered the Great North Run

It was in June then

One of my friends from Uni (I was at Newcastle) had done it in 86 and I thought 'if he can do it, then I can!'

I ran just under 2 miles. There was snow on the ground I think
  • February 2005

Wrong trainers, went too fast and felt ready to drop after 20 seconds - but carried on and did 10 secs more (and felt even worse!). Entered the Race 4 Life so felt a bit obliged to keep going.

Found this forum and never looked back!
  • February 2003 - started running up and down my garden in the dark cos didn't have the confidence to venture outside! Neighbours still look at me oddly!
  • CorinthianCorinthian ✭✭✭
    1971 - I was 11 and had just been beaten up by a couple of older boys; this had happened a few times since I started the 'big school'. I was the eldest of four kids, had no friends at that school no protecting influence - I looked forward to five years of being beaten-up.

I'd just watched a film called 'Tom Brown's Schooldays' about a lad in a similar postion who got the local blacksmith to train him how to box and he went on to beat the crap out of the bully (Flashman).

I begged my dad to take me to a boxing club - the trainer took one look at me and said 'scrawny legs - you need some road work in em before you get anywhere near ring'

We went 3 miles non-stop and I found I could keep-up with the bigger lads "Hey shrimp, you wanna try out for the harriers - you're wasted here" said the trainer - so began a love affair with running which has had its ups and downs but has lasted 35 years.

I was a so-so boxer but the fastest kid in the school
  • coincidence Corinth - I too began running at 11, but I was 11 a very long time before you! My Dad ran, and I just asked him one evening if I could go with him. I think we only did about a mile, but that was the start of my lifelong love affair with running.
  • january 06 sat at computer and had a great idea to do the sheffield half marathon never ran before never stoped since joind a club and get realy grumpy if i miss a run (not hucked honest )
  • 16th of February this year. It was the day after I got the e-mail telling me i'd got through the ballot for the Great North Run. Went to JJB bought a pair of Asics running shoes and went for a 2.5 mile run. I think it took about 24 minutes. Now I can do that route in 16 minutes.
  • 14 September 2006, when the lovely lady who runs the Teign Valley running club started a beginners class. We did very slow 1 minute laps of the local sports pitch. Have been on/off since then for various (business and dodgy knee/back) problems, but will keep on plodding!
  • 1996 I think...

I was 8 years old and sick of being the chubby slow one in the class whenever we were told to run around the 200m grass track.

Went out with my mum and ran about 400m and that was all I could take before I had to walk back.

To be honest that day I did not imagine becoming county champion over a couple of distances, county junior record holder and a South of England senior medallist before I was 19...I still find myself sitting track-side sometimes and wondering "how on earth did I end up here? this wasn't the way I expected life to go".
  • Wow Bryn! That's brilliant. I'm going to show your post to my chubby 11 year old!
  • great story Bryn - an inspiration to many kids I reckon:O)
  • Was watching tv a good few years ago when the Reebok advert came on (Belly's going to get you) and realised that my belly was even bigger. Since then lost 7 1/2 stone and did sub 3:30 at FLM this year. If I can do it anyone can!
  • October 2004. I'd applied for a golden bond place to FLM, and thought I'd better get started in case I got in. I managed 11 minutes before I had to stop and walk, but went on to complete FLM in April 2005, and raised over £7,000 for Meningitis Trust in memory of my grandson, and have kept running ever since.
    Wouldn't recommend a marathon from nothing in 6 months, but if I hadn't had the determination to do that, I'd probably still be thinking I couldn't run. I was amazed to find I CAN, albeit slowly.