Birmingham Hydro Active Women's Challenge 5K

2»

Comments

• I'll be wearing my red and yellow Fetch vest and plan to elbow my way in just in front of the skinny lassies in bikinis and single-digit numbers. Cos, like, I'm very slow and I need a wee startie to give me a chance.
  • I will be wearing a Children with Leukaemia vest struggling to keep up with a skinny young girl who runs Cross Country for her borough.... so she will be running veeeeerry slowly and her old Mum will be trying to stay upright and not lose her breakfastimage
  • Amfy is that a Villa shirt you are wearing or West Ham I can't tell?I presume as you are running in Brum it's Villaimage
  • I shall be going extremely slowly as I was struck down by a weird ailment on Tuesday evening and am still a bit wobbly. I'm well enough to travel though, so I'm going up to Birmingham tomorrow and have some retail therapy in the big city on Saturday. If I still feel odd on Sunday I'll just come and cheer for everyone but I'm hoping that whatever it is will have gone completely by then.
  • It is a Villa shirt. I would wear it tomorrow but I wouldn't want to show them up!!!

Went to The Que Club re-opening last night and raved till 4am - at 43 years of age those days should really have gone but it was a top night.

Today I am doing as little as possible and drinking loads of water in the hope of some miraculous recovery before tomorrow!

• Good luck to you all girls ,hope to see you tomorrow.
  • Hi All!

25.41!

I am so pleased! I was secretly hoping I could get under 26 mins and I did it! They took my number at the end so I might even have made the top 100!

I'm used to running with an ipod now but wanted to experience the atmosphere so didn't run with it today. As a result of this I couldn't get any rhythm at first or work out how fast I was supposed to be going - then I thought of The Chemical Brothers and just ran all the way inwardly chanting...

"Lets turn this thing electric, Lets turn this thing electric, lets turn this thing electric...."

....and it worked. The Friday night raving helped after all! 

• Hello hello

what a great day!

Impressive time amfy, I am pleased for you, did you start near the front? I arrived late and wasnt sure where walkers and runners should be and ended up walking at the beginning because of the crowd. Still did a much better time than my Race fo life in May though so very pleased bout that.

The OH and kids came along for the ride and we made a day of it with the sea life centre and all the entertainment laid on for the artsfest.( I'd still be there now if it was up to me but OH tired and kids have school tomorrow etc etc....)

how did everyone else get on?

kate

• We really enjoyed ourselves although the wind was a bit cold.We also arrived a bit late and got stuck at the back which was our fault and no criticism of the walkers.We finished hand in hand.I thought it was brilliant of the second finisher to run back and shout encouragement to us coming up the underpass .I was really rubbish at the warm up and cool down I have no coordinationimage I did manage  not to fall over this year. I had a good day with my daughterimage

• I got really near the front and then stood there in that freezing draught for 15 minutes panicking that I'd gone too near the front and was going to be trampled to death by REAL runners! Everyone around me looked so fit! Once I got going I did find I was in about the right place though.

The wind was cold but the run itself felt so much better for me than previous years when it has been sooooo hot! Although the standing around before and after was definitely nowhere near as pleaasnt.

The warm up and down were hilarious. The little old lady next to me was constantly going the wrong way which made me keep treading on my friend's toes. Then, when we did the balancing on one foot thing at the end, I just saw her just disappear backwards out of my line of vision - just like Delboy in only fools and horses! I was in stitches!

Glad you both enjoyed it too. So glad to have it back on Broad Street - so much better!

• Evil Pixie, Boglarka (our Hungarian au pair, who got the running bug after toddling eL Bee!'s five-year-old daughter round RfL a month ago) and I started very near the front.

Pix's grandma passed away yesterday, and she held it all together and ran a splendid PB of 34.08 "in memory". Boglarka did 26imageomething, which is phenomenal for a novice runner doing her first proper race, and went from "never again" to "next time next time next time" within minutes of finishing.

I did 21:58, which was 14 seconds slower than my PB. I was 19th image No congestion where I was - quite the opposite. Within a kilometre we were so strung out that I had nobody left either to chase or to run away from.

eL Bee! and my two youngest daughters were fabulous sherpas image

A well-organised, easy-to-get-to, friendly event in my favourite city. Not sure whether I'll race it again, but I've promised the kids that they can take part next year.

• I've just arrived home after my weekend. I caught a fleeting glimpse of Kate at the beginning - she was just in front of me. I didn't see anyone else. I did my slowest time ever, walking all the way round but I did it under the hour which really pleased me considering I'd spent Wednesday in bed and half of Thursday debating whether to give the whole weekend a miss or not.

I shall probably do it again as it's an event I really enjoy and there is always the potential for spending vast sums of money in the quilt shop in Hall Green. Getting my new 24 inch borders ruler home was harder than doing the race - it was too long for my suitcase!!