taking on water

13»

Comments

• Sorry Phil but I don't completely agree. For many of the runners 10K can take over an hour, which implies (unless you are pretty old) that they are probably not very fit/well trained, probably also not well hydrated and they will need fluids. I work in Urology and frequently see chronically (but not clinically) dehydrated people who are quite unaware of the fact. Their systems will sustain normal activity levels (usually low) but not greater, without strain. if it is 10C then no you will not need water, but if it is 22C in the sun, you will, unless you speed round in 30 mins or so.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Hey, I take longer than an hour to run 10K and I train properly for them, I'm just short and can't move my legs very fast!

But I know what you mean about some people who don't train.

The boost I got from the water on Sunday had nothing to do with it being water. I think the water station was just a goal to aim for as it was too daunting to think about the last 3K that I had to complete without some sort of intermediate target. The water gave me an excuse to walk for about 10 seconds, which gave me the boost I needed to keep going.
  • T A. If they are not fit/well trained, they shouldn't enter a race until they are. They shouldn't be on the start line if they are not well hydrated. The only need for a water station on a 10K is for pouring water over the head or cooling the pulses on a hot day. Certainly no use whatsoever to drink it. It is far too late anywhere on a 10K course to do any good at all. Everybody should be told the above in their pre-race instructions, if they get any that is. Carrying bottles of drink on every training run or event (they are not races anymore are they?) is seen by many as a substitute to hard training, hoping the expensive and useless gels etc will get them to the finish. They will get to the finish much quicker and easier and stress-free if they did some proper hard training instead and forgot about all these useless drinks.
  • Phil Of course there is no substitute for being well trained and properly hydrated. BUT many events are only sustained by the fact that large numbers of the entrants are not there racing for a position in the top 3 or so, merely to take part and compete for a PB whatever that may be and with whatever there own personal goal is. Remember if there were not people behind there would not be an event plus many raise huge amounts for charity, and train as hard as there own personal ability and time constraints will permit. No, you don't need gels in a 10K but if you are out for over 60 mins then the water/fluid you do take on will contribute to recovery after the event.
  • during marathon training I carried a 'lifeventure' bum bag with 2 750 ml bottles, one containing a mars drink diluted with black coffee and one containing fruit juice / water mix. 3 1/2 hr runs were greatly assisted by 40 second breaks every 30 mins to drink, and I managed a 3 hr 50 min marathon, as a shortarse on her first time. Also, I have never 'hit the wall'.
    I agree, it does seem seem unnecessary to provide water stations on a 10k.
  • SuperCaz I think we are on the same wavelength...I too train properly but can't get that elusive under an hour for a 10k, my half marathon is 2 hours 30 too.

I don't carry water at all when training as it makes my arms ache...really...and I can't be doing with belts or backpacks.

I find that if I drink well the day before a race no alcohol obviously, and plenty before I leave home, I am fine. I have taken to drinking a sports drink while waiting for the race to start...too much water and I need more than one trip to the loo and the queues are usually very long!!!

On my run I will slow down and walk through a water station,it gives me a goal...eg 3 miles to the next station then I can have a little breather...and I can actually take in a few sips, but not usually much more.

I have short legs too, in fact I am just short...I'm sure people with long legs can run faster even if they are not fitter!!!
  • im 6,4 and im slow as hell lol. you small people cut through the wind better lol!
  • OK Sean you may have a point there, I imagine you must sway gracefully in the wind, like a willow tree lol!

I'm 4'11,by the way!!!

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    I'm also dumpy - can't cut through wind as I act more as a wind break on a beach! LOL

True, some short people are very aerodynamic, but so are some tall people. Hubby is very tall and skinny and can complete 10K in about 40 min (and he hasn't been training long), I finish in about 1 hr 5min. If you watch us on the treadmill our legs go at the same speed but he has the treadmill set faster than me because he has the longer stride!
  • I’m Edward lau student from Lim Kok Wing University of Creative Technology, I conducting a research for my Studio Project subject and My motive for this survey is to understand your difficulty carrying a bottle while you Running, this survey issue is for me to design product solution to solve the issue problem. If you guys are interested on this survey, please kindly let me know by email or link to my surveymonkey.com

QuestionnaireClick Here to take survey

My email:laupdd@hotmail.com