Options

Eating... Help me please.

Comments

• Options
    Are you going to Indonesia, Cheshire Cat? Wherever you go, well done for having the guts to wear a bikini for the first time :) I have never worn one... maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and do it to.

Well, I went for a really long run yesterday, felt terrible for the rest of the day. I don't know why, running seems to do that to me sometimes. Probably because the only reason I'm doing it is so I don't get fat. So it's like a chore. I didn't get the runner's high and I hated every minute of it :( Then I spent the day worrying I'd ruined any chances of getting pregnant this month by stressing myself and pushing myself hard. Urgh, it's round and round in circles!
  • Options
    summerrain - if its any consolation I had an equally bad Sunday. First of all, don't worry about the run, sometimes it does feel just 'like a chore' and sometimes you don't get the runners 'high'. So what, you did a really good thing by going running and an awful lot of people (including me, didn't) - so remember that. Secondly, I am no medical expert, but the more you worry, the more you stress, therefore the more you worry - its a vicious circle and probably will have absolutely no bearing on whether you get pregnant this month or not. Hey, why not view it as a 'challenge' - get pregnant despite the stress (having some fun along the way!)

Anyway, if you want a bad day, take me - I did a really stupid thing by taking two laxative tablets on Saturday night, to ensure that 'things' were working and in theory I would be able to enjoy my food more on Sunday!!! The result, no sleep on Saturday night through worry and diarrhoea on Sunday to such an extent that I did not enjoy the food anyway. It was boiled mutton (apologies to veggies out there) with caper sauce and vegetables (potatoes, cabbage, peas and runner beans - all of which bar the peas were fresh from the garden) followed by strawberry cheesecake (with homegrown strawberries). Now that should have been lovely, but I did not enjoy one minute of it, and wished that I had been running in the morning. I wasn't even able to enjoy the Doctor Who repeat on BBC3 yesterday evening and so fed up was I that I went to sleep at 9pm.

So don't stress, we all have bad days, some of us inflict them upon outselves
  • Options
    Another bad day today... I made a nice healthy lunch and ate it. And carried on. And on. Been feeling anxious all day and I don't understand why. I feel pretty crappy and low, and now feel even worse after eating all this food :( I had:

Cottage cheese, lettuce and cheese sandwich
    2 egg custards (bad enough just having one!)
    Muller corner yogurt
    Packet of crisps
    Bowl of Frosties with milk
    1 Weetabix with milk and sugar
    1/2 a cereal bar
    Few dried dates

I feel totally horrible and can't focus on anything. I don't want to throw up - I hate doing that. I need to run, but I'm due at uni soon to get some mitigation stuff sorted out and wont be home until at least 6ish. I'm gonna be an anxious wreck until then! I'm so full, I feel like my stomach will burst or something. I hate feeling like this. I was so anxious as I was eating that I didn't even let myself think about the consequences beforehand. I ate enough bad stuff yesterday at a family meal - too much dessert. I just feel awful. It sucks :(
  • Options
    But it's good to know others have bad days too and that it's not just me...
  • Options
    its just one day
    tomorrow is another one

hang on in there
  • Options
    it was just one day
    you had the stress of uni to think about
    today is a fresh start
    you cannot compare one day to another and nor should you

keep going we all have bad days
  • Options
    Thanks - you make a lot of sense and helped me to see it that way. I've put it behind me and am starting again. Just focusing on today and not worrying about future days. I'm lucky really; I hardly seem to binge as much nowadays, yesterday was just a lapse and I know that I am strong enough to get back on track. Done great so far today and am confident I'll do well. Made sure I ate a full meal last night so I wouldn't be hungry today. I feel a lot better.

Phew, I'll get there in the end :)
  • Options
    you are doing so well summerrain
  • Options
    we all have a lapse or two along the way, as PH says you are doing so well. am glad that we all make sense, sometimes wish it was as 'easy' to take advice as it was to give it out :)
  • Options
    I'm all about set to give up running again. I'm back to letting it control me again, even though I said I'd never let it. I went for a long run today (in the hot sun), and came home only to have awful diarrhoea, bad stomach cramps and a cracking headache. No doubt dehydration. I'm taking it too far again, and I fear that this will always be the case as long as I run. I promise myself every time that I'll cut down, but I always end up pushing it further and further until I'm pretty much obsessed by it. It just seems that no amount of running is enough for me, and the only thing I can do is stop completely. I can't just cut down - it won't stay that way. I need to go 'cold turkey', as they say.

I have a choice really. I either carry on letting running take over, or I stop altogether and concentrate on having a baby. Because having a baby isn't gonna happen whilst I'm a runner. I'm meant to be in my fertile time at the moment, and I'm getting absolutely no ovulation symptoms at all. I know that running is the culprit and I can't do it anymore. I need to put running in the past and family in the future (starting now!).

Am I talking crazy or do you think I'm right?

x
  • Options
    Only you can make the that decision summerrain - but if you feel that the running controls you and that having a baby is more of a priority at this time of your life, then give up the running.

As I am male, I cannot say from a female viewpoint which is more important, but I would suspect from your previous posts that you feel having a baby is - and if you feel the need to go 'cold turkey' then you will have to go 'cold turkey'.

Although I tend to have the awful diarrhoea symptoms post run I think I have got them under control with judicious dietary choices and therefore are able to cope with it as a part of everyday running. Its still unpleasant but something I live with. In your position though it sounds as though the sensible choice is to can the running and concentrate on getting yourself well - running can come or go later as you feel right.

Now, am I talking sense?
  • Options
    (((summerrain))))

Giving up totally is hard if it helps keep you sane at the same time as driving you to despair. Is there something else you could do instead of running so you get exercise and a feel good factor but without running. Something like ashtange yoga is great. Fast, strong, gets sweaty but also gives you a real appreciation of what your body can do. I started doing yoga 3 years ago and haven't looked back.. Helps physically get the tension of out my body. Swimming? Gym classes are good as they have a set duration so you've got to stop when the music ends!

Things will get better....

Yes, I am off to Indonesia to meet my boyfriend who is travelling. I won't have seen him for 4 months by then. Ha ha - him leaving for a year after we'd been lviing together nearly tipped me over the edge (I can't afford to go as spent my 20s in financial crisis due to all the money I spent on food and am repaying my debts now - what a waste). But for the first time i have had a major trauma to deal with and have come through it without numbing myself in an unhealthy way.

What other things do you like to do? It helps to have alittle list of things you can do when you're feeling tense. Things liek go for a walk, phone a friend, do a pedicure. I knwo it all seems a bit trite sometimes but when you feel bad it's an urge and teh urge does pass and then you can hear your rational self better.

Chin up. Sending you vibes....

X
  • Options
    samtheman - You talk a lot of sense. I read your posts but don't always get much time to reply on here. I think it must be very hard to be a guy and have eating or weight worries. i hope things get better for you soon.
  • Options
    Hi Summerrain,

I personally think that you need some more expert support than you can get here. I'm sure that this forum has been really helpful so I don't want to knock it but it seems that you would benefit from some counselling or psychotherapy. Check out the BACP website (just google BACP) - you can find local counsellors and also low-cost if need be.

Good luck and remember to be proud that you are addressing your issues and reaching out to people xx
  • Options
    I would happily do a different type of exercise if I didn't think I'd get obsessed with that too! I have a bike and there are lots of cycle trails round here, but I just don't know how far I'd take it. I fear it would just become my 'running' again. I guess I could do swimming (because that gets boring after half an hour). I suppose I just need to try out different methods of exercise - maybe do a different one each time, so to get some swimming, biking and running done each week. I'll see how it goes. Running is just something that has become ingrained into who I am. I feel lost when I don't have it!

Thanks for the words of support, everybody. I know I can't go on running like I am. I'll let you know how I go on with other exercises...

x
    x
    x

p.s. Have a good holiday, Cheshire Cat.
  • Options
    Summerrain- it may also be worth trying to do things which are 'exercise' but which are not just cycling, running or swimming. I have often found, especially on my 'rest' days that an hour or two of 'hard' gardening work such as mowing the lawn or creating and turning a compost heap can give me the 'high' without feeling that it is 'just' another form of exercise. Sending you good vibes...STM
  • Options
    Cheshire Cat - not sure I do always talk sense because if I did do what I advise then maybe I would not be in such a position :)
    I suppose my eating and weight worries came about through work stress rather than anything else, but as it is commonly perceived to be only an issue for 'girls' then guys don't always get the support they might. Thanks for your concern - I hope things get better too :)
    Have a good holiday
  • Options
    what are you running away from summerain?..

think finding that out will give you th key to changing everything x
  • Options
    Running's the only thing I can control. If I didn't have it, I lose the control. So I guess I'm running away from the chance of that happening... I don't know. I'm certainly running from something. :(
  • Options
    Summerrain- I was running from the pressure and stress of work. Now I'm running from the lack of control over what and when I eat, living as I do with my parents.

Perhaps you are running from the stress of uni or from trying to get pregnant? I don't know-only you can work that out but I think as Tizzy says its important that you try to figure it that.
  • Options
    What it comes down to is how I feel about my worth. Without running, I feel there's pretty much nothing else I have that I feel good about myself for. Once I'm a mother, I know I will feel of a whole lot more worth, for obvious reasons! But until that happens, I need my running. Yet it's the running that I worry is stopping the pregnancy occuring. As soon as I'm pregnant I will definitely not be running, but I'm scared to stop running now in case it still takes another year to get pregnant, and I'll be fat and worthless and not pregnant. I need to be thin and worth something until I get pregnant and worth something without the running.
  • Options
    I don't think that makes sense very well... Basically I need the running if I'm not pregnant.
  • Options
    Ironically SR that does make sense to me (although not the bit about the pregnancy, obviously!). When I go without running, I also feel like I have little 'self-worth', which is probably why I always feel lousy on a Sunday. It sounds like your head is just spinning around and around at the moment and you need to take some time to get your head 'sorted'
  • Options
    My problems were about self worth too which is why i'd urge for counselling because your self worth tends to be driven by thinking in a certain way. extrenal factors don't really change that way of thinking. I'm just worried you'll have a baby and will feel wonderful about being a mother but it won't solve everything.

So I struggled to get help for a long time because I kept trying to change the situations that were causing me stress and low self esteem - different job, different relationship, another qualification etc etc but it never really helped as it wasn't so much the situations but how I RESPONDED to them.

Does this make sense? I still have as much stress as before but I htink about it and myself differently so it doesn't matter if things aren't perfect (I know they needn't be) and I see my own actions differently and give myself credit for what I achieve or just trying sometimes.

The baby thing is amazing but you'll be more than just a mother and it's worth continuing to care for yourself as an individual by looking after yourself too.

• Options
    Exactly Cheshire cat! Summerrain, you haven't responded to suggestions of you getting counselling. Somtimes we don't want to get better. Sometimes there is actually a payoff in being unhappy and stuck, bizarre as that may sound. Why not get some psychotherapy or counselling?
  • Options
    I tried one session of psychotherapy and knew it wasn't for me - I just didn't know what to say and felt so awkward. I also had a session of counselling a few weeks ago, and found myself being told the same things I already know. I guess it would help to be talking to someone on a regular basis, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the £30 for 50 minutes. I need to get my self-esteem books out again I think, and try really hard to work through them properly. I know it's my thinking patterns that need changing and relearning, I just need to put in the major effort. Which is what I've done before but always come to a dead end and fall back into the way I was thinking before.

Do you think I'll still have the running and eating issues after I've had a baby? I think because I'll be putting someone else's needs before my own all the time, the focus will shift from me. I saw a counsellor for a few months the past winter and she said she thought that having a baby would help me get better with my eating/exercise obsessions.

Anyway, I'm putting on weight at the moment, and I'm not responding in quite the destructive way that I used to, so I can definitely feel myself getting further towards being right. I'm so much better than I used to be. And I've been trying hard simply because I want to be a mother :) I don't want my child to see my behaviours towards food etc and think that's the way to be. I'm determined to teach my children healthy habits and not to worry about being thin etc... I'm determined!

• Options
    I don't think anyone can say how you will react to being a mother. Undoubtedly it will bring wonderful things to your life but I don't know if it will make the way you're feeling go away. I'm sure it'll help a lot though and give you strength. Having a boyfriend I love helps me too as I want to stay better for him and us.

It was the exercise in the books that sorted me out I think. I often felt like i knew this stuff already and then I realised that I didn't practice what I preached and didn't apply positive ways of thinking to myself. In group therapy they literally made us take one chapter a week which seemed endless but they said we needed to spend the week practicing the exercise and applying it. It IS like homework but, with hindsight, it was worth it.

Could you try getting more counselling as it does take weeks fo the stuff but I tied the talking stuff and it didn't help. The CBT really practically gave me something to do, apply and learn. It is hard to do it yourself though (((summerrain)))

Determination is good!
  • Options
    Hi.-
    I'm no expert- and I don't want to be negative or "mean" and I certainly don't want to offend- But, reading your posts about wanting a child and believing that this will give you the self esteem you need are really concerning me.

Like I said, I'm no expert, but my gut feeling is that being a mum won't make those feelings go away.- but it will make you more tired and more stressed, and you'll feel more guilty if things get out of control.

If it was me.- I'd want to work on feeling better about myself before I became a mum rather than relying on it to make me feel better.

• Options
    I P..I do agree with you actually..thinking a baby will be the answer to all her problems is a big mistake..babies take up ALL your energy,
    Summerrain..you need some proper counselling to sort out the real issues you haveo and build on your self esteem....you have to be able to care of yourself before you can consider taking care of a helpless baby .. I am surprised a counsellor suggested using a baby as a means to an end to be honest...yes it does help to have someone else to consider BUT only if it has happened naturally surely..not as a deliberate ..will it wont it cure ! what if it doesnt help ?
  • Options
    As seemingly the only male in this discussion, its very hard for me to know or comment on whether having a baby will give you the 'self-worth' or 'self-esteem' that you seem to be seeking.

I can only comment from personal experience about my problems. When I left work, I thought that would be the end of the stress, and whilst it was the end of the work related stress, the complete change back to being a student and living at home created their own unique stresses. Subsequently, for some time I used and it has to be said abused running and food. It is only recently that I think I have begun to accept that it is my reactions to the stresses that are important. For example, when I get stressed now, I am more likely to write my stresses down in my diary than I am to take it out unnecessarily on my body by running. If I do feel particularly stressed, I might try a spot of extremely brutal weeding or something in the garden!
    Yes running still plays its part and though a stressor, is much less so than before.

So Summerrain - I do not necessarily think that stopping running and having a baby is the whole solution. Won't you simply be stressed by the baby, rather than the running or you weight issues? Are you not in danger of simply replacing one obsession with another (as important as it is to be concerned about your baby). Shouldn't your lifestyle (running etc) go hand-in-hand with your baby (though not to prioritise)