Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Hi everyone

Thanks so much for the advice. I decided to slow things right down today and ended up jogging for 1.5 miles, with no walking whatsoever. I am so chuffed!!! Five weeks ago, I could just about run about 100 yards before wheezing and puffing and having to walk for about 5 minutes before attempting another run.

I think I probably could have briskly walked about the same pace, it was so slow but the point was I WAS jogging, and didn't stop. This is a real breakthrough for me, and you have all inspired me (and my husband who insisted I should try not to walk at all today). Thanks.

Well done A Spencer for your fun run. And good going Timkins.
  • Well done Joanne, that's fantastic.
    I'm still finding it a little hard, mentally, to run so slowly that I could probably walk at the same pace. But today I managed 6k all running, which a couple of weeks ago I never thought I would do. It's such a great feeling.
    I'm now planning one session each week to build up the distance at a slow pace, but in between I'm going to try some speed work over a shorter distance (which in my case means alternating between slow jog and extremely slow jog!!). This has been recommended to me by some more experienced runners as a way to increase stamina and speed - don't try to do both at the same time.

AS - well done on the fun run, that's a pretty good time - especially as you walked some of it.

Beanbag - the HRM thing sounds interesting, I have one of those (I have every keepfit related gadget somewhere in the house gathering dust!!), might dig it out and try a session based on that

Hey to everyone else looking in. hope you all had a great weekend

Jen

• Beanbag2, much wisdom in what u say.

The dark side will challenge you soon!

• Well done Jennik & Joanne - isn't it great when you achieve a goal that you would never have believed possible! How does everyone measure how far they run? I do it with an OS map and a piece of string, but i'm not convinced how accurate my measurements are!
  • AS - there's a few websites that you can work out your routes on - I use mapmyrun.com, sanoodi.com is another one, but I haven't tried that one yet

anyway, must go home now, hubby will wonder where I've got to, will probably check in later, as you'll find, this forum is as addictive as running, if not more so!
  • AS, I've been driving round the village where I have been running in my car, trying to get my baby off to sleep (I know, mad but needs must ....) and that's how I measure some of it but if it's down the canal, my husband has been cycling the route and telling me the distance on his speedo.

If I used the piece of string and OS map, I'd probably only need about half a cm's worth!!!!!
  • Well, just been out again and actually timed myself rather than knowing exactly what mileage I'm doing. I did 28 minutes back to my house, so just to know that I've finally done a 30 min run, I ran past for a minute and then back again!!

I can't believe that I can now jog very slowly for 30 whole minutes. This is unbelievable, considering that 5 or 6 weeks ago, I couldn't run round the block without kneeling over!!!

Anybody just surfing, trying to get inspiration to start, please take it from me that if you never actually start, you will not get anywhere but that once you do do it, you will not regret it and will make you proud of yourself!!!
  • Joanne - bet you're neighbours think you're mad, lol!! Great running :-D - and now you've broken the 30 min barrier there'll be no stopping you. If you're anything like me, I bet you can't wait to go out there and do it again.

Jen
  • I'm going back to running club tonight after hurting my knee a couple of weeks ago - am a bit apprehensive about it at the moment but hopefully I will be ok when I get there!
  • WOW Jennik - the mapmyrun site is fab!! Thanks for the recommendation. You'll all be glad to know that my trusted string-and-OS map technique was fairly accurate - measured a 5.77km route as 5km, so I'm now chuffed that i've been running further than I thought.
    Off to run the 5.77km route now - I'm planning on trying a run 10min, walk 1min technique. Joanne - I'm so impressed (and jealous) that you can run for a full 30mins. Well done!
  • Thanks AS! Can't believe little auld me is making someone jealous.

You are so right, Jennik. I can't wait to get out again and I'm not sure how I can. My husband is out every night this week now. I had to get my parents to babysit today so I could get out! Wonder if one of my friends would sit with my son on Thursday .......? Think I might be getting obsessed !!!! We're on holiday from Saturday and I can't believe I'm trying to make sure I get out while away too. My husband is SO impressed!!!!!

• Hepburn - how did RC go, hope the knee held up.

AS - you'll be doing 30mins before you know it, just remember to keep it slow.

Joanne - where there's a will there's a way. How old is your boy btw? I have 2 boys, mine are coming up to 13 and 8 next month. I'm guessing yours is much younger. My oldest occasionally comes out with me for a run, which is nice, but generally I'm on my own, which I don't mind - I just plug in to my music and that sets my pace!!
  • Hey everyone - this site is so fab for motivating me!
    Running Club was good thanks, although I just ran their 'warm up' and went home whilst they carried on. My knee was fine and doesn't hurt this morning luckily. I need to make sure I get out on my own and build up my speed/distance before next week - I want to be hardcore runners like the rest of them!
  • Jennik, I have a little girl of 5 and my boy is turning 2 in July. He's a bit of a handful!! Starting to see the difference between girls and boys!

My husband's bowling evening is off tonight so good news for me. I should be able to get out by 8 pm if he gets home in time. Am absolutely itching to get out!! how's it going for you?
  • I found my youngest more of a handful than the first, might be a second child thing more than a boy thing, but then I don't have girls so what do I know, lol!

I played netball yesterday lunchtime for the first time in years and felt somethng go in my calf, so couldn't go for a run last night, which was a real bummer. It was great fun though and I can't wait to play again. This morning I ended up coming home from work as I was feeling really ill. Had a sleep when I got in and do feel much better now, just a bit fragile.

Hope you manage to get out tonight, I'll be resting up today for definite, and see how I go for tomorrow.
  • What a shame about your calf. Haven't played netball since school; bet that was great fun! Sorry to hear you're not feeling too good. There's lots of bugs going around down here.

Some girls can be a real handful too but I was lucky with my oldest. Had a complete bugger of a day today with my son. He's been hitting every child we have had contact with. I am so sick of telling him off, and apologising to the other parent! Nightmare.
  • lol re kids - my little lady is 2 and a bit and also a handful - hates me leaving the house so i have to sneak out of the house when she's not looking! she also went through a phase of beating people up, including trying to whallop me! Now she's taken to bossing us around instead!

Netball - god, havebn't played that since secondary school -don't think i was much good either!

• As so many of you have young kids you may care to check out the Pooh's Corner thread
  • A lot of younguns go through the hitting stage. Just keep being firm and he'll get over it. My friend's son went through a biting phase recently, several, well loads of timeouts later and he's stopped biting the other children, just bites his mum now instead!!

Anyway, off to bed now, g'night all
  • Where'd everybody go?

<sits for a while watching tumbleweed blow about>

Just wanted to shout about my run today - haven't run since last Sunday coz of calf, but ran today and did 61:10 with no walking. Only did 7k so no speed records, but what a great feeling when I finished :-D
  • Hi Jennik

Congratulations on your run.
    Now rest.
  • fab run Jennik - doesn't matter about the time - at least you can keep going for that long!

• Well done Jennik - that's fab!
    I'm feeling rather proud of myself too as I've just come back from the gym where I did 5k on the treadmill. I know it's not outdoor running but I'm not hardcore enough yet that I want to run in the pouring rain!
  • hepburn

you are a wimp.

but you are dry wimp.
    and you got 5k in too.

Who knows? You may come to love r*nning in the rain.
    Yesterday I spent nearly two and a half hours out doing my LSR, through fields and woods, and got soaked.
    It was good, to be out there, but I am still drying out my kit.
  • Yeah, I know I'm a wimp! Too much of a girlie to want to get soaking and frizzy hair. Oh, and also I wear glasses - how do I keep the water off them when it's raining?!

What's LSR? Sounds like you enjoyed it!
  • Hi hepburn

LSR is long slow r*n.
    I wear specs too - see the little cartoon me has specs on.
    I have elastic round the back to keep them on, and wear a cap to keep the rain off(not in the cartoon as it doesn't rain in my cartoon)
    And yes the LSR was good, I went off road as much as possible, an out and back route, uphill going out, because I live in a valley, and it's easier to be downhill coming back.
    The route went through the outwoods, and along the permissive path, through more woodland and fields of long wet grass.
    I passed a few other r*nners, and a few walkers, out too, so I wasn't the only idiot.
  • Hepburn - well done on your 5k. I must confess, I too am a wimp. I wasn't brave enough to face the rain yesterday, my run was also on a treadie, I'm lucky enough to have one at home.

BD - wow 2 1/2 hours, can't imagine I'll ever do that, but then a couple of months ago I'd never have believed I'd have done an hour, so watch this space!!
  • It was just over 12miles, with an occasional 60seconds or so of walk (about one every 10mins)
    I remember the first time I did 12miles.
    It was in training for my first half. I used the canal towpath as my route (nice and flat) and first went in one direction, and back then in the other, so that I was never very far from home.
    But I din't take any water with me, and I ended up dehydrated - some lessons you learn the hard way.
  • how's everyone doing? This has gone quiet for a couple of days!

Please can someone give me a cyber kick to make me get out on the pavements later! I've been running on the treadmill every day but really need to get outside in preparation for running club next week. I really really don't want to run outside tonight!
  • Only too happy to oblige <<kicks Hepburn>>
    You really will notice the difference - time goes much quicker when the scenery is changing while you run.

I went out for an nice slow 2 miler last night with my son, having a rest tonight and then tomorrow night I'm giving fartlek a go to try and get my speed up a bit