Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Assembled outside then we were soon off. Knew darn well i'd not be fast or even remotely near the middle of the pack so i set off at my own pace. Early on it was quite crowded so there were groups to tag onto at the back. Pleasingly i wasn't going too quick to start with as this is something i usually strugle with for marathons let alone something i wanted to cock up with on my first Ultra. Was going along at around 10:30 pace on average.

After about a hour i began resorting to longish walkbreaks to try and get used to some sort of run walk plan. Was rather hard though but i still managed to keep to it. Did notice around 15-16 miles or so that my right knee was begining to hurt somewhat espcially on the downslope going over the bridges which were blooming steep. The knee hurts cos i have a dodgy knee which isn't bad enough to require surgery (and if it did i suspect i'd be told not to run) which is aggrevated by steep downhills usually. All i did was increase the walk breaks for now to 5-10 mins worth.

Reached check point 2 which is roughly half way in about 3:55 and as i was with a few others there was a few mins there swapping empty water bottles for ful ones and getting some food eaten. I discovered doing this run that coldish windy weather makes SiS go bars go rock hard image Set off again but after a few more miles around 23 in total i guess (no idea for sure as my Garmin died from flat battery at check point 2 and now refused to charge saying it is charged when i know damn well it isn't) i was begining to feel very tired.

I knew it was unlikely to be lack of energy as despite probably not really having eaten enough so far i'd sure as hell had more than last weeks marathon. I was sure it was purely down to the 4am wake up call and the last 4-5 hours worth of running. Even so i stopped to get into the bag for jelly babies and it was about here that Jen J went on past. Carried on walking and soon caught up with a trio who were on there 2nd day so tagged along with them for most of the rest of the way.

Stayed like this until the next checkpoint where i set off earlier than them but after a few miles they'd caught up and gone past as i was walking in long streches to rest the knee. Was between checkpoints 3 and 4 where i thought where the heck had they gone as i could see them crossing a brisge not too far in front when we weren't meant to. Stopped at the bridge to grab a drink and check the map when another pair caught up and were wondering the same. On proceeding to the other side of the bridge we were told to head up over the top and go down a road by a copper as there had been a incident further down the canal.

Not having a clue where we were going we went down the road and took the first turning back towards the canal but discovered that access point smothered in police tape and a coroners van. We had to cross the tape and ask the coppers helping move the body bg where to go as there wasn't one up the top. Not the sort of thing you expect to have to do when out for a run.
  • Carried on with the three of us towards the next checkpoint in a spot of run walking and when i got to the next check point a quick bottle of water and a twix saw me ambling off down the last 5 miles or so. Annoyingly by now the knee was hurting again and quiet bad this time, i did try some running but it wasn't feeling nice so i stuck to walking most of the way. I did reach the hanley locks or whatever they were called and ran down that stretch purely to get thourgh it as fast as possible as it was hurting just as much walking as running down the slopes.

Still after some more walking and pondering of why the hell was it still light as surely i must be getting on for a 9 hour run by now due to the increased walking in the second half. Was wondering how far to go and was actually loking at a map n the side of the canal when someone passed saying it wasn't far to the road turning up to the hotel. Carried on walking to the road and then part of the way to the hotel but on spotting the somerfield i got the batteries in the night before i knew it wasn't far so i crossed the road and ran/jogged the rest of the way.

Got to the end and ater having number recorded i asked what the time was and was amazed to be told 4:37 i thought it was well after 5 so somehow i'd managed to cover the last half in not much ore than the first half despite walking a lot of the last 10 miles. Total time was 8:22 which works out at a little over 12 and a half min miling for 40 miles which isn't bad for a first Ultra.

More or less went straight to my room to change and shower before heading down for drink and food. Dinner was Sirloin melt which was delicous yet due to hunger took a little over 5 mins to eat. Was soon back in my room and in bed struggling to stay awake through a best of top gear. Was asleep by 9 and pretty much slept through to 6am. Then i was buggered as i'd of been up long before know normally going on hours asleep so i couldn't get back to sleep.

Oddly i have no aches or pains at all apart from an occasionaly ache in the back of both knees but i am expecting some muscle aches tomorrow.

I enjoyed doing it although i must get some decent earphones for the Ipod so i can attach it in windy days as it will help the time pass quicker when walking or even running alone. Also i really mut think up a suitable eating plan as i basically consumed 2 SiS go bars, a packet of jelly babies a bottle of lucazade caffenine boost and a twix. Oh and a chocolate at checkpoint 2. Probably far to little for a 40 mile run but handily i was doing a high proportion of walking and when running i doubt it was very fast at all so i was hopefully well into fat burning mode of which i still have a fair bit to ditch.

I did notice later on too that my vision was getting a little opaque which on looking in the bathroom mirror preshower showed remarkedly bloodshot eyes which would of been the cause of that as its something i've had before whilst driving home after long days late at night.
  • Yup keith she is in my buddy list on the training bit 18 miles she has logged

• sounds like a good run Keith sounds like you need to take more fuel next time tho well done image
  • i didn't have a fuelling problem but more would be nice

• go Keith, Ultraman!!!!  Now treat yourself, a nice massage for those poor legs and a cooling eye mask to sooth your tired eyes!!

• erm i have ZERO aches or pains in my legs image

however my back hurts instead image

• hi everyone!

sounds like you are all doing fab - just thought i'd pop in and say a HUGE well done to everyone with ur running etc!

fingers crossed will be around a bit more after next couple of weeks - work crazy and moving house at same time eek!!

keep up good work all and spk soon

• brockely - zone 2 so less commute which is a bonus!

hows work jen?

• Works is pants,  over and done with year end now (thank God), apart from the odd query coming in.  I'm just so fed up, I really need a change.
  • Hi Joanne.  I'm sort of new too.  Used to run fairly regularly but haven't run for nearly 2 years so I am pretty much starting from scratch again.  Am lucky enough to have a decent treadmill in the shed so I can at least avoid the humiliation of being purple, sweaty and breathless in the street!  I've put on two stone since I stopped running before and am taking it really easy to try to protect my poor knees.  I find the mental side of running the hardest as although I have a good pain threshold, I'm a wuss mentally!  Hope the running goes well  - its definitely the quickest way to lose weight and tone up.  x
  • hi G nice to see you back on here have you been doing much running??

Jen your at hozzy again this week aren't you??

Hi E Paddon good luck with running keep us posted as to how your doing image

I have my tummy ulcer back again i've lost nearly 5 llb in weight since monday and it's really sore.I'm just going to take some meds for now and see how i go if no better by the end of the week i'll go back to the docs image

• Ooops nearly forgot to say i got a PB on club handicap last night 5.63 miles in 54.41 image and tha was with 5 hours sleep in two days and very little food and sick on the morning too.
  • EB - yup, docs tomo morning,will give you an update tomorrow night.  Doubt I'll get the green light for any running yet, as the tendons are still a little sore ( but waaaaay better than they were).  Hope your ulcer clears up soon, I know you wanted to shift a few lbs but that's not a good way to be doing it image  Well done on the run

Hi E Paddon, well done for getting back to running.  Do try an run outside at least now and then, it's so much better than staring at the walls of a shed!!
  • Hi Joanne, I decided to start running and I am on my second week.  I brought a book from Amazon that I read about called running made easy.  It gives a ten week programme so the first week was walk for three minutes and run for one, and I found the one minute running hard going the first twice.  By the third time it was a bit easier and now this second week it is run for a minute and walk for two but doing two more runs than last week.  It sounds like it is a good way to build up gradually and without getting injured.  The only thing is that i feel really thirsty and my appetite has increased also.  As you have been running for four weeks have you got any good tips for me?  Karen

• Hi Karen, this thread actually started last May, so Jo's been running a little longer than that now!!  She still pops in now and then.  Do stick around though, loads of friendly peeps on here to help you with whatever questions you have. 

first things first - have you had a gait analysis done at a proper running shop, they will film you running on a treadmill and then advise you on the best type of shoe for your the way you run.  This is a major factor in avoiding injury. 
    I've not read running made easy myself, but have seen loads of good reviews - slow and steady, with a gradual build up is the best way to go, so you're doing the right thing.
    Make sure you warm up before running (or run/walking) - a few mins brisk walk should do the trick, and stretch out after - I'm sure the book will tell you that anyway.
    As for the thirst - make sure you keep yourself hydrated all the time by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.  If you're running less than 30 mins or even up to an hour you shouldn't really need to carry water with you, (but having said that I always do - or did when I wasn't injured). 
    Can't think of anything else for now, but other's are bound to pop in and add to this soon

Jen
  • Right then am i daft to have already thought about and more or less decided to do the double Tring to Town next year ?

I fancy the thought of back to back 40 mile runs and i'm pretty sure i can do at least one of them sub 8 hours if not sub 7:30.

Anyway you'll be pleased to know i've not been out running yet but only because a friend came round for a cuppa today which ended up being dinner too. Will aim to get out for something tomorrow and then there will be 4/5 runs between friday and sunday probably totalling about 30 miles for the week. Stuck with shorter races coming up over the next few weeks so getting my 40 mile weeks in might be tricky espcially as i want to try and PB on some. Even intending to do back to back PB's on consecutive days if at all possible. 14 mile on the say and then silverstone half on the sunday.

• You're not daft, Keith, you're completely off your trolley image

Anyway, I am an extremely happy Kwala today imageimageimage - saw the doc this morning and he has said that once my tendons are healed he doesn't see why I can't start running again, 5ks and maybe even up to 8-10k, but must take it real slow, no overdoing it and stop again if I have the slightest pain.  I'm going back in 6 weeks, he wants to see me after I've started doing a bit of running and get me doing some exercises to see how my ankle reacts.  btw shoulder is also doing brilliantly, no cortisone injection required. imageimageimage

• jen im so so so happy for you imageimageimageimage you must be so pleased that you can start running again eventually!!! and good news about the shoulder too!!

sorry to hear work is rubbish - are you looking for a new one?

EB - well done on ur PB - that is fab!

keith - i agree with jen - you off ur trolley!!

well done everyone else on all ur running! not gonna be around this weekend as moving house eek!! have good weekends everyone!

• i am not off my trolley running is fun image

i wonder what other stupidly long races i can find nexst long one is june for me but i suppose back to back marathons is just daft too image let alone 3 in a row

• Wo0w Jen fab news i'm soooo pleased for you imageimageimageimage There'll be no stopping you  now
  • Hi Guys

Thought I would pop on and see how everyone is

Emxxx

• Hi Em long time no see, so to speak.  How's the running going?
  • Hi Jen

Its going well thanks - did preston 10K was pleased with that - aiming for my longest distance to date tonight - yikes! How are you x

• Hi all

I managed 7 miles last night and felt like I had been in a war!

Great though - how is everyone?

Em x

• What did you do Em, you came back and everyone else ran away image
    Hope you feel better after your 7 miler.

I'm leaving work in a mo and off to PT sesh tonight

Fizz has said I can start doing more 'dynamic' exercises on my ankle now - jogging on mini trampoline, skipping etc.  Inching my way closer and closer to running - woohoo image
  • Forest of Dean Weekend
    Ah what a nice weekend that was, for what went on see Sarah L's blog

Oh ok i'll do my own ;) mind you a lot has been covered anyway so dont expect too much info image

Travelled down friday afternoon and despite going into work early i still left later than intended which wasn't useful as naturally i was yet to pack. Threw some stuff into the bag and got most of the items i needed although i did forget the cradle for the garmin dispite spending 15 mins finding the mains charger for it.

Reasonable drive down even though the traffic was heavy rom manchester all the way down past worcester, even managed to end up in a lorry sandwich at one point with me being 10 foot from the one in front and having one 5 foot of my boot behind.

Still i managed to complete the journey in around 5 hours. Well thats if you dont count the driving around Park End looking for the field centre. Got their moved stuff to room and made bed. Went downstairs and there were a few there already (Ian, Heidi Simon and Ocean Spirit amongst others).

Was sat there quietly when i hear a "that'll be kstuart he cost me points the other week" typicaly bloody yanks eh OS image

Some small talk pre dinner then down for the grub. Was a bit of discussion on our table about who was making the first move for the pub, seem to recall it being led by oceanspirit image

Off to the pub we went and a lot of us escaped before the Quoits began ;) Some talking before bed which in hindsight was perhaps a little late. been trying to remember when i had the first milkshake but tbh i cant remember when it was, probably shortly after arriving no doubt. Cant even remember how many i had over the weekend.

Up nice and early, in fact i think simon and i were ready at 7 due to sleepless nights, bloody owls. Nice pleasant cool early morning run en masse at something that was recovery paced to start with but i went of with the faster people later on.

Brekkie next followed by talks on stretching (something i hamefully rarely do unless i have a ache or injury) and one on different training zones. Some useful stuff here that i'll be tryin to incorporate into my training although my threshold stuff is more liable to be by distance rather than time.
  • Next up was the trip outside for the threshold practical session which was a struggle for me as i'd done T2T the week before so speed wasn't that easy to get. Did however manage to get a decent steady pace all the way around the 3rd and final session no idea how far they were each time as my garmin was and still is playing dead bloody thing.

Back for lunch then more talks on hill work and erm something else that i was trying to stay awake through. Then off for the hill work session which i knew was going to be a bugger as i'd had a sore knee for half of T2T so i did a few loops then stopped and watched the rest, some of which were mad enough to do it for 10 mins.

Back for some free time and dinner before back to the pub for more Quoits. Then later on back for some more late night chat and more milkshakes for me.

Sunday was the long run day but i'd noticed the night before that my riht shin was some what sore and tender to touch so i wasn't surprised when it was hurting whilst heaing up the trail in the main group. Took it slowish and steady but it wasn't disappearing like it would if its the shin splints i think it is. Carried on rather than going back though but did cut back with the 90 min group which was a shame as i was looking to go for 2.5 hours roughly which would of been around 15 miles give or take a bit.

Back for another lunch then one final talk and a load of goodbyes followed by a easy drive home with no hassle of traffic.

Bad points from the weekend are a dead Garmin which refuses to charge claiming its fully charged when i know damn well it aint and a sore leg which was annoyingly hurting at work today.

Nice to meet everyone
  • Running sessions were

a morning pre breakfast recovery run covering 3.4 miles

a threshold session were after a 0.75 mile jog to the loop you run at threshold pace for 5 mins then walk back to the start point, or jog back if you feel like it. This was done 3 times the aim being to reach the same point after the 5 mins was up

then it was a hil session with a 0.75 mile jog to the session then a few warm ups followed by kenyan hills which is running up and down at the same effort for 5-10 mins depending on the indivudal, the hill should be 1-200 metres ideally

sunday's run was the long run which had various options starting with a 40 min run approx to the top of the loop at a picnic area where those who wanted to culd get driven back there was also 60,90, 120 and 150 min options roughly but i think it was more a 20 min or so run to the next point where you could go back (20 minsish) or start doing loops of i think it was taking them 20-25 mins for as many times as you liked

currently suffering badly from probably shin splints in my right leg image