Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Thank you for that - am sat here in my running gear just about to go!
  • Hello everyone, reading this thread has really given me a boost :o)
    I started running just under a year ago, and like most of us on here couldn't run for more than a couple of minutes to start with. I built it up and just as JF said felt really good running for 30 mins (well a slow jog but nothing not to be proud of :o)). I ran a 10K race and although I had to walk for a bit twice managed to do it in just over 60 mins, I was well pleased!!

Work has been a nightmare though since March, and my getting out to run has really suffered - I feel as i've gone backwards as I should be much further on than still only managing a 30 min slow jog - have been feeling really frustrated!

I'm doing the GNR in September, wanted a goal, and don't mind if I walk some of it, so reading everyone's messages has made me feel good again, and I will be going out for a run tomorrow morning - nag me if I don't ha ha!!

Good Luck everyone, these forums are great for inspiring and meeting friends who can encourage each other :o)
  • Hi Mandi

If you build up your LSR between now and September, you should be able to do the GNR ok.
    LSR:
    Anything between 10 and 12 miles is ok for your LSR, but if you can do a few up to 14 miles it will give you more confidence, and you don't have to jog every step of the way.
  • Hi Jennik, Hepburn and everyone else. I've been away on holiday for the half term. Was shocked that there was suddenly 64 logs on the thread!

Well done Jennik for your 61 minutes. That's great. That seems such a long way from where I am right now, but I'm sure I'll be there in about another year!!!

Hi to Mandi. Good luck for your GNR. Forgive my ignorance, is that a half mara?

I managed to get in 2 runs while on holiday which I was really pleased about. Don't know how far they were but both were around 30 minutes so that's fine for me. Running by the sea - could get used to that!

However, my husband saw me running back to our holiday accommodation and was shocked by how slow my run was! Oh dear, he didn't mean to but I felt my confidence plummet. I'm sure I must be running the slowest you possibly can without actually walking.

By the way, has anyone reading this thread done the R4L at Sutton Park before? Someone told me it is a hilly run and I wonder if this is the case.
  • Hi Joanne - don't worry about how slow you are running, you are out there doing it and that's what matters. I sometimes feel like if I went any slower I'd be going backwards, but I just keep on plodding anyway!!

I've never done Sutton Park, so can't comment on the course, but if it is hilly, don't let that put you off, I read somewhere to get up hills (was it you Big David)"keep your head down, and arms pumping". My friend advised treating steeper hills like a staircase and go on to your toes - I find that really helps. If not do what I used to do (and probably still will do) on a hillier course - walk up, run down!!

I did the City R4L yesterday, managed to run the whole 5k for the 1st time ever (after entering 1 or 2 most years for the last 12 years). Took 37:24, which I was really pleased with. NOw klooking forward to the next one on 24 June

Hi Mandi - nice to see a new face. GNR is a great target - gook luck with that. I've entered the GSR at the end of October, hopefully that will motivate me to keep going once these 5ks are over

Hey BD - nice to have you in here with the advice for us beginners, been for any more 2 hour runs in the rain?!
  • Hey, good going Jennik with the R4L yesterday. That's great. Doesn't sound like you are plodding at 37:24! I think I'll be happy to get in under an hour when I do mine, as long as I have also ran the lot.

I'm not really sure what times are to be expected on different distances. Is there a section in RW that talks about that? As in, what is considered a fast or a slow time? I have gathered that if you are an experienced runner, something around 20-25 minutes would be right for 5K. I know I shouldn't really be worrying about times and such like but I've just realised that I could easily walk 5K in under an hour, so I should be running it a lot faster!!!!
  • Actually, I've just looked at a pace calculator and I think I'm under estimating myself!!!! If I continue to run at the same pace as I have been, I should do the 5K in just under 45 minutes. Phew! That sounds better! Just need to up my mileage now. Haven't even ran 2 miles yet. 5 weeks to go!
  • Actually, I've just looked at a pace calculator and I think I'm under estimating myself!!!! If I continue to run at the same pace as I have been, I should do the 5K in just under 45 minutes. Phew! That sounds better! Just need to up my mileage now. Haven't even ran 2 miles yet. 5 weeks to go!
  • I think when you're doing races you get carried along by the atmosphere, this is deffo the case with me. By contrast, last sunday I did 7k in 61 mins but can walk 6.5k in the same time!! My advice when you do the R4L is forget the clock, just relax and enjoy it.
  • I've just been reading some posts in another forum. Is it the case that there are two starting points for walkers and runners?

The thread I was reading seemed to give the impression that the "proper" runners weren't impressed with the not so good ones holding them up. This has now made me a little nervous!!!!!
  • Both normally start in the same place, but the runners go through first. Different events manage it differently but there are normally big flags with walkers or runners to give you an idea where you should be. I normally start somewhere near the front of the walkers (quite a morale boost to be overtking people right from the start!!). Don't be nervous, most people aren't like that. R4L isn't a race, it's meant to be a fun event for women of all abilities, and IMHO, anyone getting upset by people starting with the wrong group should lighten up or try a different type of event.
  • I've been logging my training in the website www.fetcheveryone.com. Once you put in a distance/time it estimates times for you for 5k, 10k etc. I'm finding it quite motivating to record my progress, and I'm also logging the other exercise I do such as swimming.
  • Thanks hepburn. I'll have a look at that site. I've been using runnersweb.com.
  • Thanks hepburn. I'll have a look at that site. I've been using runnersweb.com.
  • hi everyone i have just started running again(2 weeks in the run/walk plan)after previously being a good runner when i was a teenager (i actually belonged to a running club)i'm now 34 and have recently lost about 2 1/2 stone and have decided that although the weight has come off i'm not very fit and i need to do something about it.i'm not finding the running bit too bad the hardest thing for me is finding the places to go running, somewhere as flat as possible,as close to home as possible coz i don't drive,and somewhere that is not too secluded as i go by myself and very early in the morning (so that no one can see how unfit i am) i can feel the difference from when i first started even though it is only 2 weeks it is definately addictive i'm going out in the morning and i'm on to week 3 run 3 mins walk 1 repeat 6 times will post again soon well done everybody else you are all an inspiration.
  • Hi Early Bird! I think there might be running routes on the website I posted above that you could take a look at. I know what you mean about not wanting anyone to see you - I'm a teacher and run in my catchment area and I hate the kids seeing me out all sweaty and unglamorous! I've taken to wearing a cap and sunglasses in the hope they won't recognise me. What about running around your local school playing field a few times instead? Then you're away from cars and other people.

Well done on taking it up again!
  • Hi Jennik

No rain. warm, humid and sunny this weekend. See here for Details

Joanne

As a beginner, building up your stamina is all important.
    If slowing down is what you need to do, to be able to keep going, then slow down.
    But going slow is an easy solution, rather than the only solution. (easy to say & easy to do)
    Alternativly you can try to improve your breathing. If you breathe deeply you suck in more air so you can go faster.
    And, I know this is pretty revolutionary but, if you have got the stamina, then in the last few minutes of one of your plods, pick up the pace, and when you start to get out of breath, pick the pace up a little bit more, then slow down, jog and walk to finish.
    With a bit of luck you will find it feels really good, if only when you stop.
  • Hey everyone thanks for all the tips and support :o)
    I went out for a run yesterday morning before it got too hot - did 45 mins but interspersed walking between the running bits but was pleased it was still time on my feet! Have just bought a Pilates DVD too as i've heard that really helps with your core and is great for improving your running - worth a try ;o)

How's everyone getting on so far this week?
  • Thanks for the advice Big David. I must be going a little faster because I just took 4 mins off my usual route. But I shall bear in mind what you say about it being an easy solution .....

Hi Early Bird. Well done for your weight loss. Did you follow a particular plan for it? I know what you mean about it being addictive. Imagine how we will feel when we actually do a decent distance!

And Hepburn, I love the idea of you running around in your cap and glass incognito!!!!
  • Hey Mandi. We must have been posting at the same time! Well done getting out yesterday. I also went out and it was SO HOT! And it was much cooler when I went out too than it was earlier in the day. My face could not possibly go any redder than it was yesterday!!!
  • hi joanne and hepburn thanx for responding to my post its nice to know i'm not the only one who doesn't like to be seen when i'm out running.joanne i didn't follow any plan for my weight loss i just made small changes every week that i could stick to like eating more fruit,only having wholemeal bread not skipping breakfast etc. i only changed one thing at a time and it took me 10 months to do it.i have been on many diets and to even more slimming clubs lost the weight but it just came back on because once i lost the weight i thought i don't need to diet anymore. now i'm not on a diet it is healthy eating for life (with a few chips and a little bit of chocolate thrown in.)

there is something i would like to add to my post and its not to scare people just to make them more wary of where they go running by themselves i went on the local cycle track at 6 o'clock in the morning on saturday while my husband sat in the car waiting for me.so far through my session i seen a teenaged boy on the track ahead and he disappeared into the woods next to the track after i turned around and made my way back he was hiding under the bridge in the shadows and stepped out at the last minute and tried to get me to stop and followed me up the track but he gave up when i left the track for the public car park.i will never go running down there again by myself and have vowed now to stick to public areas and keep my mobile with me which i think is a sensible precaution.

on a lighter note i'm looking forward to my run in the morning it will be my first running for 3 mins (last week was running for 2 mins walk 1)planning on just running around my local housing estate for now but think i might try going to the local athletics stadium when i get a bit fitter. speak to all soon going to bed now got to be up early in the morning.
  • hi everyone just getting in from my morning run and i feel GREAT it was harder work than last week but that's the whole idead isn't it.i love doing my runs early,i don't have to worry about fitting in later in the day anyway got to dash got to get the kids up for school speak to you all later
  • Hi early bird. Well done for your run this morning.

Your post about Saturday morning was very worrying. You must have been terrified. Thank heavens your husband was there. Did he actually speak to you or physically tried to make you stop.

I live in a village and the streets are quite
  • Hi early bird. Well done for your run this morning.

Your post about Saturday morning was very worrying. You must have been terrified. Thank heavens your husband was there. Did he actually speak to you or physically tried to make you stop.

I live in a village and the streets are quite
  • Oops, don't know what happened there!! My son is messing around on the desk here!

Anyway, the streets are quite quiet but not threateningly so. I won't run on the canal in the evening on my own but I have done in the day time.
  • EB - that sounds quite worrying, one of my runs is through a quite secluded footpath, but I only do that route on a Sunday morning, when I know lots of people will be out with kids/walking dogs. My evening runs are all in residential areas, and I'm never more than a mile or so from home. Don't know what I'll do when my runs start getting longer though.

Hi BD - skimmed through your thread, wow , you've been through quite a lot in the past few months. glad thing are improving for you now though.
  • hi everyone yes he did speak to me,he just kept saying come here, how man and excuse me but the more he spoke the more threatening he sounded and he started to follow me up the track like you say i'm very pleased my husband was at the car park waiting for me he nearly went down to confront him and regrets now that he didn't i was quite worried at the time but the more i've thought about it since the more it has frightned me about going out by myself.i'm not sure where i'm going to go running myself when i have finished the beginners plan i'm finding it quite difficult at the moment because it is quite hilly where i live and i want to avoid the hills until i'm fitter as i don't want to put myself off i tried that website you suggested but there was nowhere close by but thanx anyway and i'll keep checking it.post again soon ttfn
  • Hi all i hope you don't mind, thought i'd post here,i started a intro but in the wrong section lol..

I'm 41 and started again after a 10 year lay off and a few extra stones gulp!!

Been walking my route for 3 weeks,this week started to walk run it!! Its 2.5 mile route and i seriously felt a snail creep past me today..

Earlybird sorry to hear about ur experiances sound dreadful,i run through a common and i get worried sometimes..

Hope its ok to tag along with this thread

andy
  • Hi aj16hp

Welcome to our world.
    Don't worry about being slow to begin with.

After all, if you do a race and don't complete the course, it doesn't matter how fast you were over the bit you did.
  • Hey everyone,

I've been running now for just over a week. I have been suffering from various problems such as stress fractures and shin splints for the past 14 months, but now everything seems to be sorted. Having not run for 14 months, I am very unfit.

I started running short distances (1.2km for my first three sessions) and still, I was extremelly tired and out of breath at the end of my run. I did 1.4km on monday, and felt a little better. I managed to do a sprint finish, and finished the run in around 7 minutes.

After reading the post about the aerobic/anaerobic training, it would make sense to go slower rather than faster, so I think I am going to alter my training slightly. I have always liked to push myself as hard as I can. But if I am to understand correctly, this is not the right way to build endurance?

After reading through this entire thread, I want to say well done to everyone for the progress they have made.

--
    Carl