Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Hello all

I'm a real real newstarter to running. As in three weeks ago I started following the "Running Made Easy" plan of 1min running, 3 min walking x 4. I'm now onto 1min running, 2 min walking x5 which sounds pretty unimpressive when people are talking in multiples of miles and hours continuous running but I'm getting there and even this little bit is making quite a big difference to how I feel and how I'm shaped!!

It's been really inspirational to see how people have developed so hopefully soon I can add to this for the next newbie :)

TS
  • That's better than doing nothing Truffleshuffle - that book is really good isn't it?!
    So I've signed up for a few events now (don't want to call them races, reminds me of Sports Day!) culminating in the Cardiff Half-marathon in October. I must be crazy! However, my pink running vest for Breast Cancer Campaign arrived in the post today and I love it! It's in October so I have to start serious proper training soon x
  • Hi everyone , welcome to andy, carl and truffle. so many new peeps to remember.

Wow Hepburn - a half, good for you. I'm not brave enough to do that yet although having said that I have entered the GSR at the end of Oct - that's 10 miles which seems impossible at the moment!! Have entered a 10k in a months time - had small panic attack yesterday over it, but what's the worst that can happen. I know I can do 7k, and if it comes to it I can just walk the last bit.
  • Hi to everyone. Truffleshuffle, if you read any of my posts you will see that I was a very slow starter, not being able to run for more than a minute at a time and being absolutely shattered. One of my fellow new runners that I go out with described me as having had the biggest "journey" so far out of us Sunday runners in a beginners group we belong to. It took a couple of weeks to see any kind of progress and I was convinced that I would never be able to do more than I was. But I can now see the progress and although as you say its not as impressive as when you hear about people running for miles and running sub 10 minute miles, we all have to start somewhere and we need hope that we will be at that stage at some point!

Everytime I run past someone and feel that they are probably thinking "look how slow she's running" or "look at the size of that bottom, no wonder she's having to run!", I just tell myself that at least I AM out there and trying my hardest. I am dying for someone to shout something out like that so I can reply back in that vein! Luckily, it's all been good natured so far!

Good luck to all us new ones. I think we're doing great.

• hi everyone. truffleshuffle just keep going what you are doing is brill i'm only just starting week 3 of a beginners shedule as well it's hard work but it is all going to be worth it.i'm going out tomorrow for a run in the morning and i have come on here some inspiration(i get up at 5.45 and run at 6.00 so there is not many people around((hence early bird))so i need all the inspiration i can get just to get out of bed)
    hepburn i think its brill all the EVENTS that you have entered hope everything goes well for you
    joanne you have the right attitude it doesn't matter how slow you are at least we are out there doing it and yes all us new ones are doing great and we are only going to get better and better,i don't think i'll ever enter any races or even run long distances.i started this thinking i only want to be able to go out for a run 3 times a week for about 30 mins just to help keep my weight down and get a bit of fitness maybe i'll change my mind later we'll see.i'm off now post in the morning after my run x
  • Earlybird, that's great you're getting up early - I do the same every day and go swimming before work and it's simply part of my routine now.

You're right Joanne - we're all doing really well! x
  • Hey early bird. Hope your run went well (as you'll be reading this tomorrow morning!). Maybe it's a good idea to put yourself forward for a 5K in the future as it's something to aim for? Even if you have to walk some of it?

I'm doing a R4L in July which I never thought I would be able to actually run but increasingly I am determined to have a good go! It's given me something to aspire to, even though the girl I'm doing it with only wants to walk it! Mind you, the pace I "run" at, we'll probably be side by side!!!!!

Night night to everyone x
  • hi everyone just getting in from my run and boy was it hard today.i don't what happened i just felt as if my legs were so heavy and i had to keep saying to myself your nearly finished this 3 mins keep going right your half way through etc. etc. but i'm proud of myself that i didn't give in and walk when i wasn't supposed to and i done the full session properly.
    joanne entering a 5k just seems a world away at the momment even if i walked most of it, (boy do i feel unfit this morning.)good luck and i'm sure you'll do brill the atmosphere will help you along(i know off when i used to run in the far of days of being a teenager)
    hepburn it is the only way for me to do this running malarky coz if i waited till later in the day i would just find some excuse not to go,its good to know that i'm not the only one exercising at ungodly hours.
    thanx for all the support everyone maybe my next run will be better.speak soon bye x
  • I bet your body is thinking, wow she's really serious about this! It'll buck its ideas up for next time!

Chin up.

I haven't been out since Monday. My dad had a heart attack on Tuesday and I don't really see when I'm going to be able to get out again until the weekend. Mind you, I did go out Sunday and Monday so I've already done 2 this week so shouldn't feel too bad. (Dad is okay, just waiting to be transferred for more tests).

Jo x
  • I bet your body is thinking, wow she's really serious about this! It'll buck its ideas up for next time!

Chin up.

I haven't been out since Monday. My dad had a heart attack on Tuesday and I don't really see when I'm going to be able to get out again until the weekend. Mind you, I did go out Sunday and Monday so I've already done 2 this week so shouldn't feel too bad. (Dad is okay, just waiting to be transferred for more tests).

Jo x

Chin up.

Jo x

Chin up.

Jo x
  • I don't know what the hell is going on with my computer! Sorry
  • hi jo
    sorry to hear about your dad hope everything goes well for his tests.hope your right about my body thinking wow she's serious coz i'm not about to give in now i've done nearly 3 weeks.don't worry too much about getting out for your run as you say you've already done 2 this week and in these kind of situations family comes first.i have 2 family members waiting for test results at the moment and it looks as though at least one if not both have cancer. my aunt has a tumor in her lung and my grandad has internal bleeding and he has been told that basically even if they find anything he is not well enough to go through any surgery.mind you he is 83 this year and survived an aneurism on his aorta a few years back, he only has 1 kidney and he has an irregular heart beat so i think he has done brill to get this far.speak soon try not to worry too much (about your dad and your running)x.
  • (((JF & EB))) - sorry to hear about all that's going on with both your families, sounds like you both have a lot to deal with at the moment. My thoughts are with you both.

EB - you really do live up to your name don't you - I was just getting up when you were getting back from your run (and that's half an hour earlier than I mormally get up) I keep saying to myself I should get up early and run before I go out to work - problem is, I stay up half the night lurking on this forum so can't get up in the mornings!!
  • Sorry to hear that Joanne- hugs to you and your family!
    I definitely think everyone should enter a race - since I signed up for the ones I'm doing I feel so much more inspired and motivated. It's much better to have something to work towards x
  • Thanks for all your messages; luckily my dad is not too bad now the pain has gone!!! It's his second (the first was 20 odd years ago when he was 40) and he had a bypass 8 years ago - looks like that's run out now.

EB, so sorry to hear what all your family are going through. When do they get their results?

Perhaps I should try this getting up early lark. How do you manage with eating breakfast, Jennik and early bird? I'm not sure I could run on an empty stomach, and I definately couldn't run within an hour of eating. That would mean getting up about 5.30 to eat and then hang around (though I'm sure I could find plenty of ironing to go) until I could go out and get back in time for the usual morning pre-school chaos.
  • hugs to you and your family too from me Earlybird - I must have missed that earlier!
  • Oh goodness, JF and Early bird, I hope everyone turns out OK.

Thank you all for the kind words and welcome :)

I run early as well actually but I couldn't run without breakfast. I make fruit smoothies the night before and have one before I run. Means I wake at 5.45am, creep past the other half whilst he snoozes, have my smoothie/ get dressed/ slap my chops a bit to wake up and am out by 6.15am.

I can't make excuses if my alarm has already gone off, there isn't anyone else around (I don't live in the nicest of areas), it's nice and cool and you can see some amazing things. Wednesday when I last ran I saw herons in the river and wee ducklings trying to clamber over rocks. It really made me up for the day :)

Damn, can't wait for tomorrow's now!! :D

So how long could people run for to begin with? I'm feeling pretty OK at 1 minute at the moment but I'm relieved that I have a couple of weeks to boost my fitness even more before I try 2 minutes running!
  • I didn't time myself at first because I started with a running group and she told us to do what we felt we could. About 2 weeks in, I started to time it and was horrified to see I had progressed to barely a minute in before wanting to die. I was literally gasping for breath. Heavens knows what I started at! It was that point I thought I could never do this, there was no progress and it was a bit useless. After a couple more weeks of doing slightly more, someone on another thread said I should try slowing my pace down and by golly, she was right. I suddenly went from about 5-7 minutes to 30. I must point out this is a snail's pace though!!!!
  • hi all,
    it takes a lot for me to actually get up out of bed on a morning i set my alarm for 5.30 and normally drag myself out by about 5.50 but once i'm up i just get changed and go i'm normally out if the house by 6.00-6.05.personally i never eat before my runs if i did i would have to wait before i went out and that defeats the object of getting up early,as i go out early so nobody can see how unfit i am.i don't find it a problem running on an empty stomach as i'm not out very long at the moment and when i get back i don't usually have breakfast till about 8.00-8.30.
    TS it sounds lovely where you run much better than what i do running around the local streets. i have just upped my times to run 3 mins walk 1 min and i found it really hard today,just looked at my shedule for next week and i've got to run 5 mins walk 2 mins and i'm not sure if i'll be able to do it i may have to make it 4 and 1.how have other people coped when they start to up there running times the week after the run 5 mins walk 2 it is run 8 walk 2 and it seems like a big jump to me at the minute especially as i'm only running for 3 mins walk 1 min at the minute

joanne and hepburn many thanx for your thoughts not sure when they get their results i think its quite soon though.try to post again soon not running again till saturday hope it goes better than today TTFN.
  • I get up then too Earlybird and I don't eat before I go swimming. It's just too early to think about food at that time.

I've been out pounding the pavements tonight - was going to go to the gym and run on the treadmill, but forced myself to get outside! Was going well until I ran in an area where someone was having a huge bonfire and, being asthmatic, the smoke really got on my chest and made breathing quite hard. Grr!

I got rather excited also earlier as my pink running vest from Breast Cancer Care to wear for the Cardiff half arrived in the post. I love pink!
  • hi everyone
    i've just got in from my run, it was hard but not as bad last time still don't think that i'll be able to run 5 walk 2 next week though i'll have to give it my best shot though and see what happens.slept in a little bit today didn't get up till 6.05 and had to dive back in the house when i seen my neighbour going out for his morning paper.
    TS i felt ok at 1 min as well and dredded going to 2 min but it wasn't as bad as i expected just give it a go and see how you feel. if it's too much just do 1 1/2 min and like joanne says try to slow your pace down and see if that helps.try not to focus too much on the time it sounds like you run in a lovely area pick out some land marks and say i'll run to there then check your time and see how you've done and in between look at the scenery and wildlife and enjoy yourself.
    hepburn don't know when the cardiff half is on but good luck i'm sure you'll do yourself proud.i'm also asthmatic and i take my inhaler before i go out for a run (a tip i picked up from another thread)do you do the same or do you just wait till you need it?
    post again soon ttfn
  • Hi all

did the Crisis Square mile race on Thursday evening, it's supposed to be 3.5 miles but because Tower Bridge was going to be raised, they had to change the course last minute so was just under 5k I think. Managed it in about 36mins - difficult to tell exactly as there were a couple of really frustrating bottlenecks. My achilles tendon, which was already playing up a bit,is now really painful so I'm laying off the running for a while.

Like you guys I started on the run walk and thought I was never going to progress, but after getting advice on here to slow down (so you can hold a conversation while youre running) I jumped from walk 5/run 2 to doing a 20 minute run one week, a 45 the week after and an hour the week after that!!

I have realised though that the main thing is not how fast or how far you go, but just enjoy what you're doing, and if you've got great scenery to look at while you plod so much the better

Have a good weekend all
    Jen :-)
  • Good for you Jennik - well done! Make sure you recover before you run again.

Earlybird, I have been taking my inhaler before I run and find that it really seems to help. I've also really been concentrating on my breathing when I've been running on the treadmill to try and avoid getting too much out of breath.

Whoop whoop for all of us - we're all fab!
  • Excellent work Jennik. Looks like your times are improving.

I did my first 5K run around my village yesterday. So chuffed. I did it in 46 minutes so now I have a time to improve upon and 5 weeks to do it.

All the way round, I kept telling myself that 2 months ago, I couldn't run round the block! It really boosted me on!

• That's fantastic JF - I just re-read your first post from 11 May, you were just doing half a mile running, bet you never thought back then you'd be running 5k. What great progress - marathon next year perhaps?!!
  • Hi Joanne, I recognize those feelings. I started three years ago cause I had to loose some weight. Within these years I lost 14 kg and it feels great. I just can tell you this, just enjoy running and just focus yourself. What other runners do isn't important, just take it step by step.
    Greetings from a Dutch runningjunky

Bye,

Eugène
  • Jennik - lol, we'll see about the marathon. I might never progress from 5K!!!!!!!!!

Eugene - hi there. Thanks for your comments. Congratulations on your weight loss and progress. It's really inspiring to hear from people who were at the stage others and I am at now and are now up and away!!!

Jo x
  • Help! I seem to be losing motivation! I've got a 5km race next weekend, haven't been out for a run for about a week and a half (until this morning) and i'm now really slow again. AND I just can't be arsed at the mo. Took me 24 mins to cover 3.1km - only took me 18mins in my recent 3km fun run. Grr. Everyone on the forum is doing really well and now i feel like i'm going to be stuck at this stage forever. I'm meant to be entering a 10km run in sept and i just don;t see how that's ever going to be possible.