Any brand new runners out there?

Comments

• Hey, AS. September is AGES away! Just think how far you have recently come. Last month you said that you were only running for a couple of minutes and then suddenly you were doing 20 minutes. You have a couple more months to go and you will get even better.

How come you hadn't been out for a week and half? Is it because you couldn't get motivated, or are you now not motivated because you couldn't get out? Do you go out at different times of the day? Perhaps changing when you go might make it different? Some on this thread go out early morning; would that inspire you, running with no one else around and the birds singing etc? Is there anyone else who could go out with you who would not let you back out of a pre-arranged meet?

I gather that you can lose your progress quicker than you gain it in these early stages. Perhaps not being out has just set you back a jot - even more reason to get out there and fight it!!! 18 minutes for your 3km was fantastic; and YOU did that. You can do it again.

Just look at a pace calculator and you are running at 5 miles an hour (24 minutes). At that pace, it would take 1 hour 17 to do 10K. That's quite respectable. And that's now. At 18 minutes, it was 6 mph sub-10 min miles and would take you an hour to do 10K. Which is unbelievable as there are people on this forum desperate to do sub-60 min 10Ks.

Get back out there as soon as you are able and you will notice an improvement again within a week, I bet.

Jo xx
  • Thanks Jo - when you put the figures into perspective I guess it wasn't so bad today, just felt like hell. I haven't been out for ages as I was away for a week and then just lazy!
    I love running first thing in the morning but i;m finding as I can run further I have to get up earlier and earlier and I'm SO not a morning person so I now run home from work. That seems to work for me as I like knowing that all my hard work is bringing me closer to home.
    I have a good friend who is also a runner and, even though we live in different cities, we text each other to make sure we're going on runs, and we enter races together, which makes the whole race-thing far less daunting!

Let's just put today down to a bad day, and I'll keep you updated!
  • Sometimes it is all hard work.
    You either do it cos you told yourself you would, or you pack up and go home.
    Other times you may feel as if you are flying, the ground goes rushing by, nothing can stop you.
    The funny thing is you may not know which it is going to be, until you are doing it.
    You may start off sluggish, and then you have to work a bit, cos the grass hasn't been cut, and the next thing you know it feels great.
  • Better day today - ran 4km in 30m30s - pretty much the same pace as yesterday, but it just felt better. Happier that i've covered a longer distance - not feeling quite so dubious about next weekend's 5km. Managed to run 5mins, walk 1m30s all the way - felt pretty good. It's SO hot though. I left it until 8pm before going out, but it was still roasting. AND I got hooted at - can't decide if it was because I look so fab in my shorts (not!!!!) or if it was teenage boys who'll hoot at anything! Bit of a morale boost anyway!
  • Well done. Glad you're feeling better. Are you doing a R4L next weekend?

It is so hot. Perhaps we have chosen the wrong time of year to start running!! I went out this morning at 8.30 and it was really warm even then. Couldn't face another 5K as I had a dicky tummy as well as the heat so just did my 1.8 mile route. Slower than my last time but I'll put that down to the reasons above. My legs just felt like lead.

I run past a slaughterhouse and my goodness, it stank today. I nearly did an extra mile just to avoid running back past it.

(Sorry, that's possibly too much information!)
  • PS No teenage boys have hooted at me ...... I think I need to get some shorts!
  • hi everyone! have been reading through all the posts on here and have finally plucked up the courage to join in! you all like you are doing great and making loads of progress! i started running about a month ago and was simply trying to run as far as i could (i use the term 'run' loosely as its more of a fast walk!!). yesterday for the first time i hit the 30 minute mark which felt like a huge milestone! I'm registered for R4L in July (like Joanne - i am debating the merits of taking up running in the summer!!).

At the moment i tend to go running at night once i get home from work but sometimes i find it really hard getting back up off that sofa! When do people generally find it best to go running - morning or evening?

Sorry for the long post - got a bit carried away! It's so great to see other beginners who have caught the running bug and who are making progress as well!
  • Hi godders. Well done for your 30 min run. That's fantastic. It really does feel good, doesn't it? And no one else understands, they just look at you as if to say "what's the big deal, it's just 30 minutes, haven't you been running for a month now?!" even though they freely admit they couldn't run to the end of the road, or "why would you WANT to run for 30 minutes!".

I'm a stay at home mom with 2 children and I find it hard in the early evening, post children's tea, not to sit on the settee and chill while they watch TV for an hour before bed (TV? so what, I'm a bad parent..) because I would never actually get out then after their bed time. If I have sat in a comfortable seat for more than 5 minutes, I'm done for. I'd rather do more mornings so I can feel smug to the other mothers at the school run but it's not easy.
  • i so know what you mean - 30 mins was a HUGE deal to me but my other half almost laughed at it! personnally i think he is making out he not interested because deep down he knows that he couldn't run for 30 mins due to his ever increasing beer belly! to say i didn't really look like a fit and healthy woman after though is an understatement!!

wow well done for finding the time to do anything when you have 2 children - not sure i would be able to do that! i would like to get into the habbit of running in the morning but i work in london and in order to commute etc if i were to go running in the morning it would mean rolling out of bed at 5.30 and even i'm not that dedicated!!
  • The only way I could do it regularly in the mornings would be to get out of bed around that time before the kids would be up as I would need breakfast first; can't run on an empty stomach, and then of course I couldn't go out straight away, so it makes it a bit annoying to get up so early, especially if the kids aren't awake. My little one is usually trying to get me up at about 5ish but we have a pattern at the moment of bringing him in our bed to persuade him to go back to sleep for an hour; sometimes works, sometimes not. My husband isn't good in the mornings so getting him to supervise the children in the morning when they wake up early while I would go for a run would not feasible!

I can only do it when he works from home and takes my eldest to school. Then, though, I have to run the gauntlet of seeing the people I know walking to school!
  • phew just got back from my run and i am exhausted! word of advice - never eat onion in your dinner and then go running - not a good mix!!

that does indeed sound like an almost military operation for you to go running early in the morning - by the sounds of it you have it down to a fine art already! especially if you are missing all the people you know when you go runing at the moment. that's what i find terrible - if i could only wear a balaclava to hide my identity that would be fab but i fear i would spontaneously combust from the heat if i did!!
  • I'm going to go running tomorrow morning - have just had to set my alarm for 530! I will miss my pre-work swim as I am running a school trip and will be leaving at 730 when I am normally in the pool. Hate messing up my routine! Hopefully there will be a lot less cars and people out at that time.
  • wow i really don't know how you all get up so early - i find it near on impossible to roll out out of bed until it gets to the point where i am going to miss my train!

hopefully it might be a nice change to your routine - sometimes i enjoy it more than i think i will if i do something different!
  • I don't know about hepburn but I found that as soon as you have children, you have to say goodbye to lie ins and hello to sunrises! As much as I miss lying in bed, even if just for 5 minutes after the alarm has gone off and pressing the snooze to delay the inevitable, it just does not happen any more. Even if the kids aren't arousing you from your slumber and you awake naturally, I can't help thinking I should just get up anyway and get in the shower so I can have it in peace for a change!!!

Off to bed. Hope you enjoy your run Hepburn.
  • hi everyone welcome godders
    I go out early in the morning normally no later than 6.00 or i just can't face the fact that people might see me who i know.I'm really bad at getting up and if it wasn't for hubby saying to me i thought you were going for a run and making me feel guilty i probably wouldn't get up. I found it easier to get up when i first started(3/4 weeks ago) as i had more motivation and it was something new.

I had a really bad weekend it started ok with a good run on saturday leaving me full of energy so much so that i decided to do my exercise video on sunday but logged on to the computor and next thing i knew it was after lunch and my daughter was fetching her boyfriend in so that went out of the window.Then i thought i'll just have a snack and go and do some gardening that's better than nothing but that never materialised either.Woke up on monday after a terrible nights sleep feeling really depressed and lethargic(bummer)but what was worse it carried on and i slept poorly on monday night and when the alarm went off an tuesday morning i turned it off and next thing i knew it was after 7.00 way too late to go out for a run like i had planned,and that left me feeling depressed again all day.On a lighter note i managed to drag myself out of bed this morning and went for a run.I done the first session of run 5 walk 2 and didn't find it as bad as i thought i slowed it down a bit and i coped pretty well(very surprised)infact there was a couple of times when i ran over the 5 mins,my legs did feel a bit heavy at the end of the session but that's because i worked harder.It would have been so easy to give in and say that's it i've had enough but i'm so pleased that i didn't and i'm actually looking forwrd to my next run let's just hope that i can get out of bed. Sorry for the long post,speak soon.
  • Hi early bird! don't beat yourself up about your weekend - after all you did go running on saturday AND do an exercise video - that's hard core! i've found that if i have a couple of days off i feel better when i start running again as my legs have had a chance to take it easy! i absolutely love it when you work really hard and are able to run a couple of mins longer - it's definitely true how you soon get the running bug!
  • hello folks, mind if I join in. Don't get out much.

I've just got back into running after spell of about 2 years and I am bit rusty.

My first love is cycling, but in the summer I just don't have the time to get the miles in (family, work et al) it's become a winter sport.

So I've tken up running as it takes up less time and I can fit it in around everyone else (still do about 100 miles on bike at weekends.

By did it hurt the first 2 weeks, but I am up to 3 mile in about 35 minutes.
  • Hi pilotlight

I expect you will find it will get easier.
  • I guess you are right.

I am taking it easier this time around and mixing it with cycling. The cycling allows for good recovey of sore legs. It's actually over 3 years since I last ran seriously, I over did it as I set off an old back injury. I have been reluctant to start up again.

It's the bike mentality I am afraid, get the miles IN. 9 mile run is quite a way, but on the bike you are not even warmed up.
  • 100 miles on bike at weekend .... Wow pilotlight, you sound very fit! Not sure I can talk to you ........!

You certainly have great times and you have the right mentality to improve even more on them. Good luck!
  • hi pilotlight - you already sound extremely fit - spesh as you cycle 100 miles at weekends and are already running 3 miles in 35 minutes! i'm just praying that no OAPs or walkers overtake me in my R4L or I will never live down the shame!

Good luck with your training though - sounds as if you are definitely moving in the right direction!
  • I've been cycling all my life, racing when I was younger, but now @40+, I am carrying too much lard, 4stone to be precise. The cycling comes easy to me, you should try it for recovery.

Running however is a struggle, so I hope you do not feel too offended if I join your thread.

Maybe I am trying too hard, as last time I got very sore shins, which added to me stopping.

Do any of you race?
  • the fact that I'm carrying too much lard also why im now running! will definitely dig my bike out and try to remember how to cycle as I should probably do other things as well, not just running.

i'm a newbie thread writer too! im running in one of the Race 4 Life events in July - i think Jo is as well. I'm also doing the JP Morgan corporate challenge (5.6K) with work and debating entering in an 10K race for the autumn - i think it might give me something to aim for and definitely make me pull on those trainers on a regular basis. Are you thinking of racing?
  • I'm also running for weight loss and have lost a stone so far combined with some dieting (about 3 months dieting, 2 months running). I should lose another 3 stone really for my height but I don't see me doing that! I'd be more than happy with 2 stone, and the figure I had on my wedding day. Actually 2 stone would be the figure I had before I met my husband, so I'm sure he'd be thrilled with that too!

Yes, I'm doing a R4L on 15 July and would love to do more after that. Not sure I'd be ready for any 10K but would def like to do some more 5Ks.

I was supposed to be going out this evening for a run but the weather is terrible. I don't mind running in the rain as such (we have to in this country, eh?) but this has been awful rain today. Is everyone else having this today?

Rain has just stopped off for a bit. I'd better ring my mate and get going before it starts again!
  • Dropping down 2st would do me. Dragged out the wedding photos' recently and I looked like a stick on them, which kinda makes you think?

I find it interesting the differences in running and cycle training. On the bike you cover a wide range of terrain, especially where I live in northumberland, on the big hills, you just get bladdered by the fit guys and girls.

Cycling is all about recovery from big effects and making more, running seems to me to be about keeping a steady pace and not pushing over the limit.

• hello everyone and welcome to pilotlight

well i've just gettin in from my run and boy oh boy was it hard.I forgot to take my inhaler before i went out so found breathing harder.I was absolutly shattered after just 1 min but forced myself on,my legs felt like lead but hey no pain no gain. I didn't cover as much distance as usual but at least i went out and did it that's what i say.Here's to hoping and praying next time is easier i guess everyone has good days and bad days even top athletes.

Pilotlight i think your cycling will stand you in good stead for improving your running and help you with your fitness. From the last i can remember (about 3 years ago and 21/2 stone heavier)cycling isn't as easier as it looks and i was surprised at how out of breath i got,so well done to you keep at your running and i'm sure you'll get better and soon be bitten by the bug like everyone else on here,even on your bad days(we all have them ((i think)) ) you will have probably done more than 90% of the population and should feel proud of yourself.As for weightloss i lost mine before i started on the running (i don't think that my body would have forgiven me if i had run before that as i have dodgy joints).I'm not thinking about entering races yet as i'm only on week 4 of the beginners schedule(run 5 walk 2)and don't know if i ever will (you know how they say someone has to be last well it would probably be me big style.)

hi jo we have had all the rain as well here but i don't mind it so much as it keeps me cool and it tends to keep people in the house so there's less people about to see you.

well done to everyone at least we are out there trying and we will get better it just takes time (i think,i hope,i am right aren't i) ha ha. TTFN
  • Thanks everyone for the kind introductions and support. I did about 45 min last night and I'm a bit sore this morning. I probably won't go out until sunday now. (going to see the cricket at Durham on sunday(weather permitting)so there won't be any cycling.
  • morning everyone! we had thunderstorms last night which was interesting(!) to run in - kept hearingmy mum's voice in my head over and over about staying clear of the trees! sounds like everyone is doing really well on their weight loss - just think how fab we will all look in a few months!!

i decided to try running some hills last night and dear lord i nearly died! felt the benefit tho - except towards the end my hamstring was really tight and painful - has anyone else ever had this??
  • I really should be doing some hill training as I understand my R4L is a hilly route. I tried to get the exact route out of the organisers so I could do a practice but they said they don't know the course until the day as it depends on the weather - what a load of rubbish!

early bird, it's not too soon to put in for a race, it would be something to aspire to. I was already booked in for my race when I started running. I was going for a laugh and obviously walking round until I saw an advert for a beginners course with the Women's Running Network. When I first told the beginner's organiser that I was doing a 5K in July and wanted to be able to run it by then, I really wanted to laugh outloud as I didn't believe it myself, nevermind what the woman must have thought! However, I do believe it's possible now. I started in April, so that's 3 months. You could put in for one in August or September, if you can find one. Bet there's a fun run by you, arranged by a 10K race, if 5K seems too far.

godders, I'm so impressed that you went out in the thunderstorms, and ashamed that me and my friend didn't go out at all. What a couple of wimps!!
  • For all of us who are doing a R4L, I've just been reading another thread on the general running forum, and apparently they are rarely measured accurately and are not 5K!!!!

This is good if you have been training at 5k and above, as it will be less than you are used to but a bit disappointing as you will not actually be running 5K on the day.