Wednesday 16th May 2006

13»

Comments

• evening all,

Hope those racing at askern do well tonight!

that's now 602 miles for this year :)
    (I'm rather pleased with that...) Now off for some birthday drinks....
  • Um....happy birthday Stuart!

Finally read your report Lizzy...ouch, but well finished.

Got my results from the tri now :-
    Swim 00:09:34

Bike 00:54:35

Run 00:25:03

Total 01:29:12

Not at all unhappy with that, just got to get some swim coaching andthe rest I can work on myself.

So last few days, 3 miles, 3 miles, 5 miles as I have a 10mile race Sunday.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Many happy returns Stuart, enjoy the beers!

Lizzy.. fearless stuff, well done again and I hope the damage isn't too bad.

Micksta.. top stuff and true grit holding off the fast guy!

Good luck to the Askern 10k runners.

Best of luck for Saturday Hilly, nice to see the miles building back for you again.

Good miles from Soda & DD too.

Run home from work, 11.5 miles in the bag. Light to medium rain all the way home but I decided against a rain jacket - I always feel too warm in them at this time of year, I'd rather just get wet!
  • Evening All.

DD. Yes, as far as im aware Western States is excusively a trail race.

Its a great race though and one I feel drawn towards running one day.

Good Runnings everyone.
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Lyrics seems no one guessed them:-)

Coldplay "Amsterdam"

I had a dream about Amsterdam last night so seemed appropriate:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Oooh I did recognise the lyric but I never look at my ipod I just play in shuffle so I never know the name of the tracks.
  • Well done AJH! :0)) So glad you've got your results finally. That would have drove me nuts! What tri are you doing on 24th then? Is it open water like mine <wibble, wibble>

Well done Caterpillars and Lizzyb too!

What: new MP3
    Why: broke mine yesterday
    last hard; yesterday
    Last REst: today

Ah .....I never shuffle my tracks I like to listen to certain albums I would shuffle if I deleted certain albums that I hate for running.

Quiet sad to be dreaming about a marathon!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
    Ah .....I never shuffle my tracks I like to listen to certain albums I would shuffle if I deleted certain albums that I hate for running.

Quiet sad to be dreaming about a marathon!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Um, well I am doing Epping Try a tri.....I know its for newbies but I think I am still quite new :-)

Distance is 300m pool swim, 21k bike and 4k run........should be a doddle.

Will be looking for open water though.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

bit manic here,

Managed to get out for 15k (havnt changed my garmin over yet, and wont now as doing an 11k race on Sat.

Feeling good

Hope everyone is well,

Take care
  • AJH - there's one of those out here later in the year. I'm going to take some swimming lessons and have a go. It's open water, but in a flat shallowish bay. I think the distances are slightly different, but the swim is short so I can't make a total mess of things!

wp - got the lyrics, but forgot to mention, honest!
  • Yay! Go for it Trini!

Someone on another thread is trying to persuade me to do a 50 mile in July.

and I am tempted, maybe I should go lie down.
  • NZChristineNZChristine ✭✭✭
    SiT - hope Mary recovers well - you sound like you are coming right - good luck.

Iron Meliss - you sound great - the British air must be good for you. I have a friend who did the Western States - a long time ago - think determination is required in bucketloads!

Caterpillar Girl, Lizzy - scary and dangerous stuff - you girls must be thrill seekers!!

Fingers - better now than the day before the race - do what you are doing - your training is still in the bank - let your body get over this - hydrate well and make that start-line.

Good luck BR for your 10k tonight and Hilly hope the marathon goes well for you.

Micksta - well raced - good luck with the 3000m track race.

Welsh Poppy - I don't have a Garmin so don't know what I'm missing!

Happy birthday Stuart.

What: Car in garage, so 2 miles uphill to meet friends for 6 mile flat run. Coffee and muffin with mates, then 2 miles downhill to finish. Easy way to get 10 miles in!
  • CG, sorry you didn't enjoy your first fell race

LizzyB, cycling won't do anything to strength the lateral ligaments around your ankle, which obviously need to be really strong for fell running. I know in the past I always used to get sore ankles after the first XC race of the season, and that was just XC. Could you do some regular very short runs on rough ground, or failing that balance exercises ?

Micksta, sounds like you had a fun time in that race. well done

WP, keep dreaming about marathons :-) you'll get back there soon

What: am: pilates class 5pm:8ml steady with Vrap soon: weights session in front of the telly
    Why: the new regime: 'Wednesdays should be an easy' 60-70min run followed by weights is easier than a 12-14ml run ??? I don't think so !
  • You were right about my heart rate, though, TmR. Today's run was an identical pace to the one we did 2 weeks ago, and an identical route give or take half a mile of towpath, and my AHR was a good 10bpm less today :o)
  • nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Evening All,

SiT: Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mary.

caterpillar girl: I'm too much of a pavement plodder but feel-running is something I'd like to do.

Nutty Runner: I also considered triathlons but I just love running too much. Something raw about it. Each to his/her own I guess.

LizzyB: Sorry to hear you got hurt. Interesting question. Do you worry too much about twisting the ankle during the race such that you're protecting it?

clink: Glad to hear your ankle is fine. I will be running at 75-80%MHR twice a week, the rest at 70-75%MHR.

Trini: Can you make 18th June for curry-fest? Else if you're passing through London on 19th then I never say no to more beers :-)

BRilly: Good luck.

What: 60mins at 70%MHR plus 2 or 3 short easy flat-out strides. Lots of fun.
    Why: I love to run.
    LastHard: Ages
    LastRest: Sat.
  • evening

well done CG
    also LizzyB - another great performance (and report) in the most difficult of circumstances.

Well hung on Micksta

BR - I did wonder at the time if it was still valid. OK, will have another go shortly.

tonight:
    what: 5.8 miles in 38:37
    why: looking for something at approx threshold intensity - have had far too few runs at this sort of level in the last year or so - have tended to be either plodding or thrashing myself to death

Was aiming for 39:00 (approx 6:45 pace, pretty modest but it'll do for now) or better.
    Heavy rain all the way round, soaked everything including socks very quickly. Under normal circumstances, this would have meant blisters by the end of the run. However, Sunday's outing and Monday's thrash had illustrated that I still have a habit of overstriding when not concentrating - leading to me dragging the foot back on pickup. Tonight, just let the foot drop to the ground - result was a slight but definite increase in cadence & shortening of the stride - but the shoe wasn't sliding backwards along the ground on pickup. I'm sure that's why I had no blister problems.

Mean HR 157 - 1 or 2 bpm higher than I'd like maybe - but still overall quite pleased with this outing.
  • Thanks for wishes for Mary who is already perking up and looking much better than pre-op.

Happy Birthday Stuart.

Today had somewhat surreal experience at lunch. Ran the fastest set of 5x 1km intervals of my life (on a properly measured circuit i.e. with a wheel and confirmed by my GPS). Times were in order I ran them 3:15; 3:12; 3:08; 3:11 and 3:02.

Was off two min jog recoveries. Do not understand it given first real speed work since end Feb and my frankly crap training of last 2 months through injury but they felt absolutely effortless with exception of the last one for which I busted my gut.

A strange world. But a signal I will have a go and see what happens in the big 20km race here a week on Sunday.

Simon
  • Vrap, so your higher HR, 10 days after FLM, was cos you hadn't recovered from the marathon as much as I had then, cos you hadn't had any days off ? What was your % today - I'll guess 70-72% ie 20 beats slower for 80 secs pace cf with your Tewkesbury pace ?
  • 40 minutes40 minutes ✭✭✭
    Evening all.

What: 8.25 miles in just over the hour
    Why: Club night

Just 4 in my group tonight, all better than me, so we clipped along at a fair pace. Good session.
  • SiT - snap with the `generally crap' training followed by amazing shorter runs - your 5 x 1k and my 10 x 1k @ Salford with no recovery:-)

Best wishes to Mary.

Sodahead - good mileage.

Askern 10k #8

Same old story - an even paced effort with all the usual effort but I was pleased to finish in 34:55.

Strangely at about 8k / 27 mins into the race I had an overwhelming urge just to sit down at the side of the road, I felt so tired. But there were guys behind me who I just had to beat and there was a beautful face waiting for me at the end so I couldn't let either of us down.

I knew this was probably on the cards after the effort I had to put in on Saturday to get a reasonable time for my club still way down on where I should have been pre FLM.

I was honoured to give Drew a lift for the 1st km:-)

Finished 11th I think which is what I predicted pre-race. Prob a £20 voucher if I know the Askern 10k of old:-)
  • I've read up.
    Consolations to Mary.
    Lizzy- I don't know whether to laugh or cry!
    MikeS - good reps there, I feel that the next week's set will be even better.
    200m - glad to hear that you're out htere and enjoying it.

Me? ah. nada. I knew that this week would be tough.
    Next race: 5km tomorrow
    Then: 10km Monday.

Buzzin.
  • Not that good, TmR. Today was 79.5%. And that's having raced twice more and only had one day off.
  • Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Happy Birthday Stuart

Well done Micksta
    Scooby mines broke too, might need to get a new one but don't know which one.

Looking for a bit of advice here.
    Because of my complicated shift system i can at times have up to a week off. Would like to do more hours at work, but isn't possible at the moment, so to make the most of my free time i've been toying with the idea of a second workout in the day. Is this a good or bad idea let me know.
    Firstly i understand that my mileage doesn't warrant a 2nd workout (22 miles last week but rising)
    Bearing in mind i'm focussing on 5kms till probably end of September.

On my days off i feel i should be doing more, i feel i'm wasting the time i have available, obviously when i'm back at work as i am tomorrow i will stick to easy runs well thats the plan (will be working up to next Wednesday)

I'll await the verdict
  • Pammie, I think doing two runs on days when you have loads of time makes a lot of sense. Several coaches advocate several days of harder training (overload) followed by easy days to recover. Perhaps when you have the time you could do one session where you do short fast intervals, with long recoveries, to make the fast bits faster, and enjoy not being in a rush to finihs the session, and then as a second run, something like a very easy relaxed 30 mins. In the weeks when you are pushed for time you could, on some days, just do a hard 30 mins or 2x10-15mins with a few mins easy in between min, so as maximize value-for-time. Both these tyoe of session would be ideal for 5k training