KNEE PAIN

Anyone know much about knees......

Had to pull out of track session as was getting a dull pain in left knee, that worsened quickly. Can walk just about OK but left knee keeps buckling. Very painful to go up and down stairs......

The pain is just below the knee cap (very top of Shin, but very deep (ie cant prod and find pain, but move in a certain way and I know it)....

Any Ideas? Will try and book to see the doc in the morning but wanted to know if anyone has suffered with similar.....

Any help appriciated...

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Just back from seeing the Doc......

He says I have tendonitious (just below Knee / knee cap. Told complete rest from exercise for 2 weeks, brufen and a tubigrip (how bliddy typical)..........

Physio booked up through Doc for next Weds.

Signing off from one p*****d off RFJ.
  • For more info, Google patellar tendintis, or more correctly, patellar tendinosis or tendinopathy. Very important to fix, and fixing requires no running for a while an heaps of patience.

From what I've gleaned, and through some personal experience, anti-inflammatories and knee support won't help at all, but gentle stretching and keeping mobile will. Rest up completely for now, then listen to your physio and don't go further than he/she tells you.

It is generally very curable though. Good luck with it.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Thanks swerve - checked out the link to the Physio roon on Runners world and said the same (So why did the doc give me Brufen and a tubigrip......... Coz thats all the give out if they dont know what they are doing - Typical MoD doc).........

As you say wait until I see the Physio.....

Thanks again (will need some help on the patience side... off to the garage to find boxing bag and weights.....)
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    At last had my physio appoint this morning, a very thorough 45mins. Got some good news and some bad. She says I have Patella Fimoralarthritious (Degeneration of cartalidge, causing tendonitious). No running for at leat 3-4 weeks. (thats the bad news) the good news is that I can do low impact sport, inc gym, swimming, rowing machines etc......

So now have to get a program sorted out, that also includes the quad strenghening exercises that I have been given.

So a bit better than what the doc told me on Fri.
  • RFJ..Are you allowed to cycle?..I did the FLM and thought I had gained myself ITBS, I had it in my right knee last year but recovered. The pain was really bad in my left knee, hence having to walk run the last few miles...however..1 month later and the pain is actually inside my knee and down the outside of my shin so think I may have the same...but want to keep fit...1 month of not being able to run but doing loads of strengthning exercises and stretching..have tried running but it's too painful so have been cycling but not ure if this is a good thing to be doing or not?
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Grumlethegoat

I can cycle but have to take it easy.... in that to and from work only, and in the gym, no off road ect.

Have you seen a physio... its important to get an assessment.

Take care