Biker Chick Revival!

Its finally happened! An excuse to get my motorbike back. I used to race around on a Yamaha Genesis quite happily until Mr FF came along, we had a baby and the bike turned into a family car!

Its now 6 years since I rode a bike. Mr FF will be changing jobs and losing his company car soon and we can't afford to run two cars....so there is some give on the bike front.

Thing is I'm only 5'5 and quite slight so I was thinking of a Suzuki SV650 or something like that.

Has anyone any other suggestions on a good reliable, not too heavy bike suitable for a female rider....although I quite like the sv!

All advice appreciated :o)

Comments

• BMX. (with mag wheels)
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    There are a couple of Hondas that you should be able to get your leg over. The CBFs are quite low, although not as sporty as the SV650. You could try the Hornet, which has an excellent engine and is a great ride. Yamaha's alternative is the Fazer but you might find it a bit tall. You could also try the Ducati Monster 695. You shouldn't have any trouble handling any of those.
  • Thanks Mister W! Will take a quick look at all of those.

Coops....I've already got one of those ;)
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    And if you see anything for someone 5ft2 then I'd like to know, haven't had a bike for 18 months now :-(
  • M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Unless you have long legs for your height you're going to struggle to get your feet on the floor with almost anything except a cruiser or a 125cc, but I'm guessing a 125cc won't cut it?

Your best option might be to go to the bike show in November and see what you can get your leg over.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Sorry to disagree with you Mister W. I'm 5ft 2 and I was told I could do an SV650. You can get them lowered. Trying to think if I ever did try with Ex Mr Mouse's now.

Ex Mr Mouse had the SV - smashing bike. Unfortunately his currently is as some dozy bint 'didn't see him' t'other week.

I used to spend a fair bit of time on here there's quite a lot of short girlies on there chatting away. Friendly bunch. Gave me lots of good advice on gel seats.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    It wasn't necessarily the height but the weight. My VFR400 was a good size but quite heavy, I'd never have picked it up on my own if I'd dropped it!

MsMouse, that's a nice bike on that site!
  • Hornet! Definately, the SV is good if your new to biking but the hornet 6 is a blast
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Cinders - some of the blokes on there weren't bad either!
  • I seem to remember an article on someone smaller than you that rode a pan as a paramedic. Put her male collegues to shame with machine control. (Not that I'm suggesting a pan!)
  • FF, I'm not trying to be rude or anything but I would strongly reccommend the Bikesafe courses if you are a returning biker. They are very useful in brushing up your skills and you might learn something!
    One point, where's the nipper going to go when Hubby is in the car at work and you have the bike?
    As far as chioce of bikes go the SV does have a relatively narrow seat which is more 'helpful for the lady riders! It's not always the height but also the width of the seat that stops the vertically challanged from reaching the floor.
  • Totally agree PS regarding Bikesafe. To any biker, new, old, returning or otherwise.

Most bikes can be lowered, seat sculpted etc so really being short (I'm 28" leg!) shoudn't stop you riding them if your confident with generally handling a bike. End of the day, the bike that fits you most (performance, handling and comfort) has to be the choice.
  • PSCPSC ✭✭✭
    what do want - sports, retro unfaired, cruiser...

I would say that a ZZR600 would be fine. Don't worry about size you can always have the seat done. I'm barely 5'6 with a 27 inch inside leg and ride a VFR800 - can't touch down on both sides but that's never bothered me.

You'll get bored with a SV if you've ridden before IMHO!

Rather than pick from mags or from daft suggestions on here, ring a few dif dealers and arrange some test rides.... then you will really know.

Enjoy!
  • I'm only 5'4" but manage perfectly well on my ZX6. Having said that, I've had it for 5 years now and I think Honda are more refined (love hubby's Blackbird, but WAY too big for me!), so planning to get either an SP2 or Fireblade next.

Happy biking :-)
  • MORNING!

PS, I don't get offended at suggestions like that...sounds exactly what I need. I used to commute and travel miles on my old bike in any weather....but I'm a bit nervous about getting back on a bike. Was going to look into refresher courses, so its good to know there is one. As for my little one, the school is only 1.5 miles away and I'll be walking her there in the summer, in the winter there is a school bus she can get on, but as she's only 4 I will follow on the bike so I'm there to get her off the bus at the other end. By which time we may be in a position to get a little car too. To be honest, every summer I miss my bike. I have been known to scrape my bicycle pedals trying to go around corners and pretend I'm revving the handles.

Cinders: I'll be honest, I dated my riding instructor for a while (het hum, resists Mister W's 'leg over comment') and he had an SV, which he was happy to let me try out and I remember it being really light and easy to handle. Think thats why I'm leaning towards the SV. You ought to just go and sit on one and see how it feels, you might be suprised.

Pit Stop. I don't like the full farings and I lean towards the sportier bikes (don't like the ones where you have to sit upright...my sister likes them). Why would I get bored of SV?
  • *Sit on an SV, not a biking instructor*
  • Damn,

must try and cancel mental images of Fat Fyes going round the country sitting on bike instructors :)

• If you're 5' 2", I guess a big trailie, like wot I ride, is out. I don't think you'll go far wrong with an SV650 though.
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Loving the idea of you pegging your push bike around corners.

:0)

I miss my boyfriend's bike more than him sometimes. Must add 'learning to ride a bike' to my 'thing to do before I die' list on the other thread.
  • Oh, and get over to visordown.com while you're at it...

:-)
  • Ms Mouse!! Get yourself down the motorcycle centre and get your license! It will stop you going out with men because of their bikes!
  • I'm only 5' 3" and had a GSXR600. Most of the foam in the seat cut out, but still one tip toe on the ground at traffic lights. Didn't bother me too much. Never dropped it. Did drop my CBR600 and managed to pick that back up myself (there's a knack to it!)
  • Never a problem for me -

a) I am 5' 6/7"
    b) I love cruisers - they are so comfortable - look sexy and tend to be quite low saddled

Just wish mine was on the road :O(
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    An odd question but are child's trail bikes road legal? Guess they aren't but was pondering.

MrC and I off to bike show in Peterbourgh this alvo so might sit on a few bikes (not instructors eh FF!!)
  • Nope. If it ain't taxed/insured it can't be ridden on a public road.
  • Nice to see there's a few biker chicks on the forum!

Not long after I did my test, I did the IAM advanced course which got me into counter-steering. Brilliant for a 124lb shortie, much easier than trying to lean into bends on a sports bike, just lightly knudge the handlebar and down it goes. Brilliant! Revolutionised my riding, it did....
  • Oh and BMF is on this weekend at Peterborough. Go to the Hiene Gerrich stand and ask for Danni. She is ikkle and rides a CBR600.
  • So Nicko should we have a RW outing to Bulldog this year
  • Nahhhhhhhhh its full of Harleys :-D