The Wanna Blista Social Club.

Comments

• It wasn't Alfa. It must have been club night in the park as there were loads of groups of runners. Might tag along if they are there tonight.
  • Mr S - OMM base this year is in Crief in Scotland at an old army camp - I have insider information!
  • Kwaka, GBM, MTBB, FOAR, MH, TB, PPP and anyone else I've forgotten to mention - Thanks for the organising, helping, marshalling, time keeping (which was absolutely spot on btw!) and support tonight! A job well done, bar the mens 2nd/3rd place mishap.image

Well done to everyone else that raced! Especially the woman in the red top for keeping going (I hope you gave her a spot prize!)

• Enjoyed Offerton 10k tonight. The hill was tough but I felt strong all the way round and was pleased with 2nd place (although I would have been pleased with 3rd as well - oops!). Thanks and well done to Kwaka and everyone who marshalled.

Just to clarify - I was in 3rd all the way round but the 2nd placed runner went the wrong way near the finish and I ended up beating him because of that. I wouldn't have caught him otherwise.

PPP - I hope it wasn't you that sent him the wrong way!

JS - As soon as I left you I saw that Tango man / Dalai Lama bloke so at least I know you didn't imagine him now!

• all I said to him was "keep going!" I didnt mean straight on!

Poor guy. what happened? did he start the 3rd lap???

great running tonight JS. NI. Mowgli, Ady Nutter, Big Phil, Tom etc

Hats off to all who raced, I chickened/wimped out, feeling a bit tired (err pathetic!) and watched my kids do the 1 mile race. It was great being able to support, although when i told JS "only one more hill!" my Freddie told me I'd hate it if someone had reminded me there was still one to go! so sorry about that.

Good to see Steve Mclean there supporting, hoping I have convinced him to get back to the track. I thought he put it quite well when I told him Ben Fish had turned up "Game over!".
  • PPP - not really sure. I think he might have started to do a 4th lap. He had a bit of a gap on me but I lost sight of him in all the runners who were on lap 2 and when I turned right to head towards the track when I should have got a clear sight of him he just wasn't there. He did end up finishing 3rd so he didn't go the wrong way for long.

"Game over" is what I thought too when I saw the Blackburn vest at the start and then noticed who was wearing it!

• KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    I questioned him and he said he'd carried on for the 4th lap and had turned the corned down to the gate before someone told him to go back. He was satisfied with the outcome we came up with though. Many thanks NI. Top man.

Last placed lady got a S10 t-shirt. She was a big lass but hats off to her, she kept going and got a great reception at the end.

Well done to all the marshals as well as the runners. Miserable conditions tonight.
  • Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement last night. I got a "blessing" off the hare krishna man but it didn't help.

Sorry TB but I cannot smile when running up hill - it just naturally comes out as a scowl!

• Are results/times online yet?

Looks like you had pretty cool conditions compared to last few years.

• JMC, bet your glad you couldn't do it, so we didn't have to here the words 'it's a bit short" when we crossed the line like last year.

Results are on the SH website. Some good running there, especially from Tom, JS and Ni.

It's the 1st time in a few years i've not run this event as I've had to get some serious catch up on my swimming and cycling, so running's taken a bit of a back seat at the moment

INJURY CLINIC - Anyone know of a way to help clear up achilles problems? I've been running through it, but in the morning i can hardly walk and at the start of the run I'm really strugging.

• SARQ - TB will surely have it on his list, but I remember GBM giving explicit accounts of achilles and how it used to get stiff.

Parkrun at woodbank this weekend, I have been told an olympic hopeful (top 3 uk ranking) will be doing it this time. Your chance to take on the countries best. did I mention he won the nationals a month ago with his sabre. Not a euphamism.

• The brokerThe broker ✭✭✭

SW-in the "Zone"

SARQ-(this is not lifted from the internet). Stand a few inches from a wall in a split stance position, bend your front leg till your knee touches the wall, keeping your foot  (heel) flat on the ground (your back leg straight) and lean into the stretch, if this is too easy move your front foot away an inch or to, till there is resistance, hold for 30 secs. x 3 and then repeat on other leg, do this 3 times a day, for a few weeks, gradually increasing the distance of your front foot from the wall. Eventually, you should be able to stretch without too much resistance, half the distance of the size of your foot from the wall-simples.image.
    Btw-if it's really bad, might need stretching by a physio, hope this helps. Now get on with some work.image

• TB, Thought I could relay on Doctor TB for a treatment, thanks, I'll give it a go as it's been bothering me for months and it's got pretty painful recently.

Trentham triathlon on Sunday so hopefully shouldn't be too painful once I get to the running bit.

• SARQ- best of luck with the triathlon, hope the injury is not a problem. What sort of distance/terrain type tri is it?

• PPP, it's a short one, but hoping to improve on 11th place from last year. 500mtr swim in pitch black water, 20k bike quite flat and a 5k trail run, quite flat though. Got a longer one in 2 weeks, then I'm going for Olympic distance by September.
  • SARQ- Well, Placing high must depend on who turns up? but time wise you may have more control, although, the weather may intervene. What sort of splits would you be looking at to go top 10 and is the bike section on the road or trail?

From what I can gather, training wise you really need to spend about twice as long on the bike as you do running, at least, or is it more like 3:1?

• Art teacher doing maths, my ratio works out about 1image2 though the swim should be smaller I know. 0.8 would be nice.

There was an explosion in a pie factory 3.14 recurring dead

• dont understand that red head. I wrote 1.6.2
  • True, Ni would have won if Ben Fish didn't turn up. I think the field is usually a similar standard most years though.

I have to forget ratios as I simply do as much of each as poss, which is 1 swim pw, 3-4 runs pw, commute to work on the bike most days and the ocassional 50m bike at the weekend.

Don't know my splits as they included transition in the results last year and I had a nightmare getting changed and there's a double transition from swim to bike.image

It's a different bike course from last year too and I've got me a carbon tri bike now,image  so should be a bit quicker. Aim is to try and beat a guy who was 1 min quicker than me last year and I know he's doing it. And hope my chain doesn't come off this time. Winning the age group would be nice, but then again it depends who turns up.

• "I've got me a carbon tri bike now"

Ahh, now there is the issue I have with triathlons, it is a little bit "gear" dependent.

Not wishing to come off as a real purist, I do think that it might be better if there was a limit on the bike, make it a standard steel frame or something, I dunno, it just seems that at the top end you can spend thousands on the bike.

or, I could be jealous as I only have a carbon forks on my bike!

anyway, best of luck, I may end up dipping my toe in the water one day, if I can learn how to do a decent crawl!

TST- haven't you heard? Tau is the new pi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13906169
  • PPP - very interesting, I now know what 300 is in greek, and another way of calculating circles, so the day has not been wasted.

Going for a run from pyms chair this evening, I can only think it will be uphill and steep at the end.

• TST - what a coincidence, I'm doing my first ever Park run on Saturday!!
  • ES - shame I am not there to watch this clash. To be honest I have no idea how good he will be, fencers don't do much running in their sport.
  • TST - I thought you were talking about Ross and that the course record would soon be unassailable!

PPP - I bet you don't like Formula 1 then either?

SARQ - good luck!

• NI-I like the spectacle of formula 1, to be honest I can get into watching almost any competitive sport and F1 is fantastic at times, but obviously it is severely hampered in terms of appeal IMO when you have cars that are basically miles better than their opponents.

Handicapping is what makes horse racing fairer, after all, if you put the lightest jockey on the best horse every time, who would want to watch it then?

I am not having a go at triathlons, I think they are a really appealing sport that require a tremendous amount of dedication, god knows it is hard enough just trying to get better at just running! It is just that, in almost all sporting areas, the emphasis should be about making the playing field level.

I don't think a few ounces of bike weight would make much difference anyway, it is just natural to assume that a 3 grand bike is going to be better than a 1 grand bike but if the guy pedalling is rubbish then so is the bike.

very impressive stage win by Cavendish on wednesday without much help from the domestiques, on a tough finish. Should be in the frame today.

Shame Gay wont be fit to challenge Bolt, it would have been good to see him pushed

ES- glad to see you taking my advice! good luck.

sorry to prattle on.

• PPP--Shut up! image

Anyone--Are there any plans for a long run on Sunday morning? I promise i will turn up this time. image
  • KwakaKwaka ✭✭✭
    Up in the Lakes supporting another BG this w/e. This one starts on Sat, so I'll be doing leg 4 on Sunday.
  • GBM-I am. whoops, opened my big mouth again. If you fancy a change of scenery, I am planning running through town and back on the mersey, 20 ish, at 8;30 ish, slowish...

anyone else, Alfalfa?
  • KWAKA- good luck with that, weather looks iffy, hope all goes well.