The Wanna Blista Social Club.

Comments

• MH - trail shoes will be okay on Saturday will they ?

• SARQ- after your Olympic distance tri later in the year, you can start training for this;

Go To google maps

Put in China as your starting point A and Taiwan as your destination B

Click on Get Directions

Take a look at step 48

and then the estimated journey time.

• ****THE MIDDLEWOOD WAY 18. Saturday 27th August. Early-ish start.****

I've already mentioned this idea to one or two of you and have now finally got round to putting it on here. As there is a lack of a 'Trimpell 20' style race in the build up to the Berlin and Chester marathons i thought maybe we could organise our own low key 'WBSC race' on the MW. Rose Hill to the road crossing at mile 9 and back again! We can time ourselves and we could even have a drinks station at mile 6/12 if anyone wants to volunteer.

The provisional date i have chosen is the Saturday of the bank holiday weekend at the end of August. Its 4 weeks before Berlin and 6 weeks before Chester. Is that ok? Minnie and Mickeys BG party is that evening which pretty much rules out doing it on the Sunday and most of you may be busy doing family stuff on the Monday.

Anyway its just an idea at the minute. Who's up for it?!!!

• GBM -Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this. I'm definately up for it.

The 'race' start time will need careful consideration. To replicate normal race conditions/preparation you would probably look at starting around 9am but an earlier start would avoid excessive heat and MWW would be quieter. Any views ?

• GBM - even though we are not doing any more nasty marathons, that sounds like a plan. We usually do a long run on Saturday morning anyway if not racing and doing one a bit quicker than normal would do us good. Will consult with coach Tom, though, just in case he has other ideas.

FOAR - earlier the better I would think?

• GBM - my best marathon performances have come when I didn't have a Trimpell style long race before the marathon.

I think anything longer than a half in the month before takes too much out of you.

Suggest you would get more from 4 x 5k at marathon pace with 5k jog recovery or 20 miler with last 7 miles at sub marathon pace. Definitely good idea to do it as a group though.

• jmc--Thank you for your input. I and others have enjoyed doing Trimpell as it is a good workout (i did it at marathon pace last time) and also because, as foxy says, its good to replicate marathon day conditions before the big day such as wearing the same kit, trying gel strategies etc. Should the MW18 take place then i will probably do it at MP but some may race it, some may join me at MP, some may do '4 x 5k at marathon pace with 5k jog recovery or 20 miler with last 7 miles at sub marathon pace', some may do it as a better quality training run and some may just use it as a long run. I figure by now that everyone knows whats best for them. Plus i reckon its good to spice up one of the long training runs and make things a bit more interesting. Are you interested in sorting out the drinks station for us?

Foxy--I originally put a 9am start but then thought about the 'crowds' so i've left it open to debate.
  • That sounded like a good idea when it was suggested last Sunday. Not sure if there would be any benefit to me in pushing myself being a marathon virgin so I'm more than happy to man a drinks station along the way rather than run.

Would you all run together ? Have you thought of a staggered, handicapped, start based on times or would that add too much competition into it ?

• GBM - would love to do the feed station but think i will be busy worrying about feeding you in the evening!

Will need a list soon of people who are coming to the BG do - those who helped, cheered, would have helped but couldn't and those who generally thought about M6 on his attempt are all wlecome!

• Mad-HatterMad-Hatter ✭✭✭
    MTBB - Trail shoes will be ideal for Saturday - have a good race!

Kwaka - Thanks again for the hi-vis jackets I'll get them back to the club sometime next week.

J8 - Thanks for marshalling - I've spoken to Alison and let her know that you know where she needs to be! She'll be there about ten to twelve-ish.

TST - The Coombs Tor race looks great - unfortunately I am racing a half down in Chippenham that weekend - for once, tarmac wins over the soft stuff

• GBM - count me in.  Mrs S has also volunteered for the drinks station.
  • M6 - Alas I can no longer make the BG party image. Family birthday do that I only found about today and I can't really miss it.
  • MTBB--Just use the MW18 as a long run and make use of the drinks station. Jonah and Mr Simmons and i were discussing a handicap system earlier. Not sure though as its not really replicating race conditions.

Ok, time for a list!!

MW18 - Sat 27th AUG.

GBM
    FOAR
    SW?
    M?
    MTBB?
    Eric
    Jonah8
    Mr Simmons

Drinks Station-- Mrs Seagull! image
  • MW18 - Sat 27th AUG.

GBM
    FOAR
    SW?
    M?
    MTBB
    Eric
    Jonah8
    Mr Simmons

Drinks Station-- Mrs Seagull! image

Alright, I'm in. However, I am very concious that I'm considerably slower than everyone else so if others are okay with it, I might set off earlier so that I will be closer to finishing with everyone else. Would actually give me more incentive not to be caught image.

• not that I will be doing it, but a handicap could help with incentive, as MTBB says, you dont want to get caught and the one in front is catchable.
  • GBM - can we have a double list, please!

MW18 - Sat 27th AUG.

GBM
    FOAR
    SW?
    M?
    MTBB
    Eric
    Jonah8
    Mr Simmons

Drinks Station-- Mrs Seagull!

M6's BG party:

M6 x2

• MW18 - Sat 27th AUG.

GBM
    FOAR
    SW?
    M?
    MTBB
    Eric
    Jonah8
    Mr Simmons

Drinks Station-- Mrs Seagull!

M6's BG party:

M6 x2
    GBM

• How about a weight based handicap system?

Everyone has to carry some weights to to take them up to the weight of the heaviest runner (Eric?). I've alway thought that would be a really interesting experiment, could be a new Olympic event!

• DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

Good Luck to Sizzlers tonight image

I can't make it - but going to run a 5k solo time-trial after work

• GBM - looks like you'll have lots to eat at M6's do!!
  • I might do that MWW 'race' but it depends on how confident I am that I know the BS route by then. I might need to do a reccy on that day but if not I'll probably turn up to MWW. I won't be racing it though one week out.

M6's BG party:

M6 x2
    GBM
    NI

Also, I'm starting to arrange a night out for my birthday on Sat 13th August. I'm thinking about going for a a meal somewhere in Manchester (possibly Italian) then hitting a cheesy old rock club for some drinking / rock dancing fun / silliness. No need to start a list - just let me know if you want to come to some / all of that.

JMC - sounds like a good way of getting injured to me. Anyway wouldn't it just give the taller runners a huge advantage?

• Minnie6--Excellent! image And can you make sure i have a 4 tog quilt on the bed in my room?

No Sizzling for me tonight as i am working late. Jonah and Mr Simmons wore me out last night anyway!
  • DazTheSlugDazTheSlug ✭✭✭

Nexus - I might manage a couple of beers in the Salisbury image

August 13th will be the 10th Anniversary of my first ever run, so was thinking I definitely need to go for a celebratory jog of some sort that day - any suggestions?
    (bearing in mind that I might do the Great Warford 10 Mile race on 14th)

mort/all - I'll be going for a Lyme Park-ish, 2-3 hourish hilly jog on either Saturday or Sunday afternoon this weekend if anybody's interested in not getting up at the crack of dawn on a non work day image
    taking it easy between Wasdale and Snowdon

• M6's BG party:

M6 x2
    GBM
    NI
    TST + mgmt

JMC - they handicap horses in that way, so who you calling an old nag. Oh and saloon car racing as well, but they call it ballast. Peter Powell could be interested I guess.

Mort - take back what I said about sainsbury, been to the post office and the spar has gone being refitted as a posh shop. They will never cope, and Disley only has a coop, how fortunes reverse.

• Another day another prize, opened post and I have a 'fantastic' silver plate to put in the trophy cabinet. Shifnal half 1st mv55. Doubles up as a coaster or nut dish. Going to sizzle again, if I stop for the results I will get beaten for sure. MTBB are you avaliable as my double again.
  • JMC, you are a lot lighter than me, so why not carry some extra weight tonight at Sale - about 1 stone should do it.  PPP you are also lighter than me I think so you can carry some saddle bags as well. 

My wife keeps telling me to put some weight on, but compared to you lot I am a bloater.

• M6's BG party:

M6 x2
    GBM
    NI
    TST + mgmt
    Eric & Mrs S (Minnie, remember you promised me the spare bed first!)

NI - I'm away on your birthday, sorry! 

• Does anybody want a red bellied piranha with tank ?

My brother doesn't want it and the boss won't let me have it image

Free to a good home

• Daz - there's a chance we would visit the Salisbury at some point and you'd be more than welcome. You would have to show me where it is though because I've no idea! image

Eric - that's a shame. I was looking forward to seeing your Steve Tyler-esque dance moves! image

Well done to the Sizzlers tonight. I was quite pleased with 15:46 which equals my course PB and is my joint 3rd quickest ever. I even managed to out-sprint someone at the end which I don't remember ever happening before! Almost done with racing for the summer now - just Sefton Park 5 to go next week and possibly a parkrun this Sat then I'm taking a few days off before starting back on the mileage in preparation for XC in the winter.

• J8- is that some sort of Soviet weapons cold war detritus?